cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arbitrage

I have had one of my worst buying experiences ever on eBay.  I purchased a  CD from a high volume seller and received the item fairly quickly.  So far so good.  The strange thing was, that the shipment arrived via an Amazon delivery vehicle in amazon packaging.  Sort of strange I thought at first, but oh well.  I opened the cd, played it on my stereo, and it turned out that the disc had some other recording on it other than what was purchased and clearly labeled on the package and disc.  Okay I thought, ok I have a defective CD.  I decided to check Amazon for the item, and just see if there were any defects reported with this CD by others.  This is where the real adventure and discovery began.  Low and behold the item is available on Amazon Prime...for half the price I paid through the seller on eBay.  There were also several reviews of issues similar to mine.  All of a sudden it dawned on me...this is why the shipment came from Amazon!  The seller had simply purchased the item on Amazon, doubled the price, and had it shipped to me.  Really dishonest and unethical I thought.  I then did some research, and quickly discovered this is against eBay policies, but is not all that uncommon unfortunately in certain circumstances.  I contacted the seller, who asked for photos of proof of the defect, which of course I could not give as one cannot photograph the playing of a CD.  I placed a return request through eBay which was accepted immediately, and sure enough, the return label sent by the seller had the return going to an Amazon return center.  Needless to say, this really upset me that this seller was doing this, so after my refund was processed, I wrote a negative review for the seller stating clearly what had happened and that the seller should be avoided for these sorts of practices.  Within less than one hour my review was removed!  So apparently it is not okay to let others know that such practices by a seller are going on?  I also now know there is no longer concierge service for good ebay customers, no telephone contact info, in short no way to find out why this has happened.  Hence my first ever question on the community board.  I guess I would like to know why this was okay apparently for a seller to engage in this sort of practice, why my publicly reporting the facts of this in a negative review without by the way using any abusive language, name calling, etc. was so quickly removed by eBay without contacting me first.   I have absolutely clear evidence as to what happened,  I attacked no one personally, and now no one will know about this sort of thing happening.  Very confusing and quite honestly disturbing to a long time eBay user. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Arbitrage

Was there a gift receipt in the package? That would indicate that the seller violated both eBay and Amazon policy and had the CD shipped through his Prime account. But, there are also a growing number of sellers who sell on both eBay and Amazon and use Amazon for fulfillment. That's not against eBay or Amazon policy and could also be the reason the feedback was removed.

If there was a gift receipt in the package, contact Amazon. If they find the seller has been misusing his Prime account they may well cancel it.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

@carey-marie,

What @kathiec wrote about sellers having a presence on both ebay and Amazon, and shipping items using Amazon's "Fulfilled by Amazon" (FBA) drop shipping system is perfectly legal.  If there was a gift receipt, you can report the use of the seller's Prime account to Amazon.

Because you were refunded you could not leave negative feedback that would stick. The item is no longer paid for, and if you mentioned a dispute in any way that too would qualify the feedback for removal.  If the comment was about shipping from Amazon that is legal and ebay would remove it if the seller reported it.

In the future if you have a long topic to write, please use paragraph breaks.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

There was a gift receipt.  It was not fulfillment by Amazon, which I recognize as such as well.  There is no store for this seller on Amazon either.  When I messaged the issue to the seller, they ignored my questions regarding their practice as well.  This was definitely arbitrage.  Fulfillment by Amazon would not entail a doubling of the price either.  Thank you for the message.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

Thank you for letting me know about the potential seller violating the Prime rules.  I will take this up as well.  This sort of selling behavior should not be allowed by Amazon or eBay of course.  This was my first post of course, and grammatically speaking was in fact one paragraph, as the subject was consistant.  Understand it may be easier to read if artificially broken up though.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

@carey-marie,

Since you did receive a gift receipt, definitely report the transaction to Amazon. The receipt may have info on it that identifies the "seller's"  Amazon Prime acct., which they would need since the ebay seller does not have an Amazon account under their ebay username (which is not unusual for sellers who do use FBA).   Good Luck and let us know what happens.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

Thank you, I will.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

@carey-marie wrote:

Really dishonest and unethical I thought.

It is neither of those.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

It absolutely is.  Representing that you are selling something on eBay that you are in fact buying from Amazon and doubling the price, thus using others in your scheme is dishonest, unethical, and against eBay policies.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

I've purchased items on ebay that have been delivered by Amazon and personally, I don't have a problem with that. As long as the item is as described, I'm okay with that. 

In fact in some cases, prior to making my purchases, I search both Amazon and ebay (and other sites) and interestingly, bought from ebay because the identical item was cheaper than on Amazon. So when it was shipped through Amazon, I was surprised that the seller could be making a profit. 

Another comment re profit: I do NOT begrudge a seller profiting from their bargains. Most sellers are trying to make a profit and in a capitalist society, there's nothing illegal  about it. (Whether it's a violation of the seller's agreement with Amazon is separate.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

This was no bargain, and it is a violation of eBay rules to protect the interests of all parties.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

Then why did you buy it

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

I am a buyer and a seller. I always check prices on Google, Amazon, etc. Most don't. I had a guy buy a guitar effect pedal off me. He made it a point to ask me not to put an invoice in the box. I knew right away he was drop shipping to an Amazon customer. I figured he might have the same ID on Amazon and sure enough he did. I think I sold the pedal for $70. His customer paid $105. More power to him if he is a better salesmen than I. It really didn't bother me and I never include invoices anyways. Funny thing though is I have Ebay brand tape that I use on all my packages, so I kinda wonder if the customer sent him a "nice" message about the situation. 🤣

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Arbitrage

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding

Message 14 of 14
latest reply