Buying & Selling Basics
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

When is eBay going to offer complete Buyer Protection & make seller pay return shipping?

surfelvis
Adventurer

When you buy on Ebay, you buy sight-unseen; you take a risk that the item will not fit, will not be as described, etc.  Ebay needs to start making the seller reimburse the buyer for the reasonable cost of returning the item to seller in Buyer Protection Cases.  Sometimes the return shipping postage is more than the cost of the item.  I always reimburse my buyers for the cost of returning an item.  I also offer an no questions asked return policy.    I want the buyer to know that they will not be out of any money by buying from me, and they will be made whole if they decide to return an item, even if they return it because they decide that they don't want it or can't really afford it.  The reality is that the number of returns is miniscule, especially if the seller accurately describes an item, doesn't charge outrageous prices, safely and securely ships items to prevent damage in shipping, etc.  I treat my buyers like I want to be treated because I am an avid eBay buyer too.

I just wish that eBay would offer its buyers complete protection, even if the seller won't.  Ebay makes money off of sight-unseen sales, and they should recognize this and make sure that the buyer is made whole if there is a return.

They only thing I can do now is to make sure that I only buy from sellers who offer to pay return shipping.  Unfortunately, this will limit my ability to purchase items that I want.

Get it together eBay & offer complete & real buyer protection!

mrobind42
Scout

Re: When is eBay going to offer complete Buyer Protection & make seller pay return shipping?

in reply to Feb 19, 2014 11:24:40 AM
Are you serious? We already provide free expedited shipping and now you want us to pay for return shipping as well? Here's an even better idea for you...why don't you give your items to buyers for free, pay to ship it to them, and then pay for them to ship it back to you because they didn't like it, or they used it for the purpose they wanted it for. I'm pretty sure you will stay in business a long time with COMPLETE Buyer Protection
miguelangel-23
Pathfinder

Re: When is eBay going to offer complete Buyer Protection & make seller pay return shipping?

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 2:34:20 AM
A regular business can afford to accept returns no questions asked, an ebay merchant invest in shipping and then will pay out of his packet on return shipping if the customer changes his mind... that sounds ridiculous
texasguitar2000
Adventurer

in reply to Mar 25, 2014 6:27:50 PM
The day Ebay starts making you pay the buyer's return shipping is the day I quit selling on Ebay. Paying their return shipping would encourage a lot of people to return stuff on a whim. On most items I've been selling I'm barely turning a profit anyway because of increased postage costs. My average transaction is that the buyer pays maybe $12 and after postage and Ebay/Paypal fees I might make $1.50 - $2 profit. I've only had one return so far but if I had to reimburse the buyer for return shipping I'll bet that it would have been more than that. Most buyers are good people to deal with but there are just some picky, gripers out there.

Answers (17)

Answers (17)

duskye
Rockstar

I am both a Buyer and a Seller and think that the protection eBay offers Buyers is quite sufficient-tho they could do more for their Sellers IMO.  Cat Frustrated

mjackie1780
Adventurer

Re: I am both a Buyer and a Seller and think that the protect...

in reply to Feb 22, 2014 6:09:44 PM
I agree Duskye. Buyers are protected by eBay. Sellers they do little to nothing for us. We are stuck putting up with ridiculous issues and they refuse to accept email and hang up the phone all the time and claim it was an accident.
mrgranat42
Trailblazer

in reply to Mar 11, 2014 9:53:45 AM
I completely disagree with surfelvis. The seller is already out the original shipping cost, since the buyer is being refunding cost of the item plus shipping. So you want the seller to absorb the cost of return shipping too, when the reason for the return just might be due to buyer's remorse, like finding a cheaper price elsewhere, and not the fault of the seller? The buyer has the opportunity to not return the item and just resell it if they don't like it.
herndon520
Scout

in reply to Mar 14, 2014 10:21:53 AM
And B & M stores should pay for the gas you use to return an item you've changed your mind about. I like it.
lightstars
Scout

in reply to Mar 14, 2014 8:30:53 PM
I thought I was the only frustrated seller. I stop short of really disliking eBay but now I've had two situations that didn't need to happen and shouldn't. It ruined a whole month of my life for really no good reason.
I feel like I'm an employee of eBay. Think of it. eBay gets the percentage of selling costs that really add up so much more than I ever thought, then the other little fees here and there...and no wage is being paid to me by my employer....hmmmmmm just a thought. Am I being too grumpy or unfair? I don't like feeling like this.
davarano
Rising Star

in reply to Mar 23, 2014 3:46:00 PM
I am a buyer only, and I don't think it's fair to make sellers pay for return shipping for buyer's remorse or the like. I think sellers should, however provide shipping reimbursement when the return results from an exaggerated condition description, or a faulty item. How many times I have bought a "like new" item, that looks fine in the photos, but arrives looking like their dog ate it! There should be no room for willfully unscrupulous selling tactics.
myrons59
Rising Star

in reply to Mar 24, 2014 12:54:00 PM
I have been run through the ringer, if you will. someone wanted an item i had for sale. They sent me an e mail to ask if i would lower the price. But he bought it the next day. Thirty days later, he told me it was damaged. This was for his kids, they knew what it was. Do you think your kids would let you wait a month before opening? Buyers remorse, e bay sides for the buyer every time. i did nothing wrong and yet I had to pay. How is that fair?
vmdeals
Pathfinder

in reply to Mar 26, 2014 9:28:33 AM
The order details page does NOT provide crucial details of the items sold. Is there another location to see this info?
0 Helpful
ashewhite
Enthusiast

in reply to Mar 28, 2014 5:03:47 AM
Ive read alot of posts about sellers getting screwed over returns. Everyone know if you buy something and change your mind you just use the free out provided by ebay "Item did not fit description" Its something just being abused and needs to be changed.
mgrace7
Enthusiast

in reply to Apr 1, 2014 5:51:40 PM
I bid and won an item. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I wrote her and asked her if I could cancel the item. She agreed without hesitation. But neither of us know how to do that. WE don't have a problem. As the buyer, I see no place to go to resolve this. It appears the seller must do it. Isn't there anything I can do? The least I can do for her is figure out details on ebay of agreement to cancel and get it done. Why can't buyers take care of the resolution?
oldpic99
Rising Star

in reply to Apr 4, 2014 8:04:06 AM
I have received items from sellers who either didn't know what they had or didn't know how to describe it accurately. I rarely pay return shipping on items not accurately described by seller. If I bought it at Walmart, I can look at it myself. The buyer is totally relying on the seller to know what they are selling. If it isn't what the seller says it is, I don't expect to pay to return it to him. One or two poorly scanned pictures do not tell me the condition of what I am looking to buy. Yes, it's a form of buyer's remorse when I pay big bucks for an item and then receive it and find it's cracked or chipped or dented and the seller didn't put that little info in the description. Sometimes it's just easier to leave negative feedback then to have to repack and drag it to the post office. If you're a seller, tell me what the condition of the item is you are selling.
0 Helpful
susanlyn03
Adventurer

in reply to Apr 8, 2014 5:58:34 AM
RE: Oldpic99 So because you have buyers remorse the seller should pay with negative feedback. If you want more info or better pics. then ask the seller for it. No one is forcing you to buy the item. If the item is chipped or cracked and it didn't happen in shipping and the seller didn't put it in the description then contact them to try and work it out. I don't see how leaving negative feedback is better for you than getting your money back. Usually if you just communicate with the seller you can work it out. If you're a buyer, ask questions before bidding and don't leave negative feedback for people just because you are too lazy to type a few things in the computer to get your money back.
reki34
Rising Star

in reply to Apr 13, 2014 11:24:19 AM
So as a buyer, you say buy a guitar. Pay for how ever it was described in the auction. Then recieve it badly damaged because of lack of protection during packaging. So what you sellers are saying is that its the buyers fault for the bad packaging and they should pay the return shipping on the package and not have the seller pay for it?
Then for the buyers remorse thing. Yes I guess buyers can be finicky, but if the item is not correctly described in the auction with the best pictures taken, what the heck do you exspect? I am both buyer and seller and agree from a buyers and sellers stand point that yes as a seller if I do not come completely through on my auction and how I listed it, and packed it durning shipping then yes I should be responsible for shipping back to me. Remember the buyer is also out on the return shipping fees as well when eBay does the refund and chooses not to cover the cost. Which as a buyer that put that trust into the seller he or she was buying from to come through when ergo they did not. If a seller causes you to loose money in the deal and don't cover it, deserves a negative feedback in my opinion. I mean if I sell you something and cause you any money in return shipping fees are you going to be happy! I think not.
pturnbough
Scout

in reply to Apr 16, 2014 11:46:27 AM
Buyers remorse should NOT be an automatic refund. I put lengthy measurements on all of my items, tell them to ask if they are not sure and state if you buy wrong size it is NOT returnable. I just had a case today as a matter of fact, that buyer said not as described. Measurements all there, but eBay found in her favor. What is the deal with ebay. The rule for buyers remorse should not take place if the item does not fit when all measurements are there. If description is wrong then that is the sellers fault. and at that point a refund is due, but when all information is there, it should lay the responsibility on the buyer for not paying attention to size measurements and asking questions.
chefbon
Adventurer

in reply to Apr 18, 2014 10:57:41 AM
I am also a buyer and a seller. If a seller is making a good faith effort to fully describe an item being sold and provide multiple pictures, and they are clear that they do not take returns, then both the buyer AND eBay should respect this. I have bought many (clothing) items from good sellers that simply didn't fit. Not the seller's fault, it's the chance you take when buying online. I NEVER take it out on the seller because I don't want that done to me. I either donate the item in question, or try to resell it. I think eBay's policies in favor of the buyers has spawned an awful lot of negativity and dishonesty towards sellers. I've been selling on eBay since 2000, but in the last year or two, I've had so many more problems from buyers with really bad attitudes. Sometimes no matter what you do, you get bashed with unfair negative feedback. I really am getting kind of disgusted, and have considered leaving eBay altogether. My feeling is that eBay will fail just as fast without good sellers as without good buyers. That's why we should be protected as well as the buyers.
luvsiamese
Pathfinder

in reply to Apr 23, 2014 1:22:08 PM
I have become disabled and for a few years was thinking of selling on e bay. My DbH would say you'll never do it, but every time I review the policies they are changed. I have been very lucky and have dealt with wonderful sellers. But I have heard from friends that sell on e bay that it is becoming a real headache for them, and is increasing. I do think e bay should have a sellers protection, since I have been reading and being told that they are dealing with so much stress over buyers and "antics" . Some even got to keep the item ? So although e bay gives you great exposure . I decided I can, nor do I want to be under stress . I will continue to buy and I have checked sellers but if have even I neg in a month, I will not conduct business with the seller. I will see what the seller responds as I have seen seller attempted to contact buyer & no response was received. That is not fair to the seller , either. Communication has always been key , yet when a seller is offering help to make a big decision on a purchase, I give my ideas, shape of hand, price range and the e mail will not be sent as states we look as if we are trying to do business outside of e bay. This seller really wanted to help me and all e mails were on e bay. If I went to a store, I would take forever, asking all the questions the seller is trying to help me. I rewrote e mail took out type hand, type setting I like, and my coloring so I could buy an engagement ring .
Even my redacted e mail via e bay stated the same alert. These would be all the questions I would have to post, as I am no expert. Seller has an excellent reputation. I am a serious buyer and also asked his permission to bid, since I hadn't been on e bay for awhile. I think this was perfectly OK. , since I had been ill and I miss wearing a ring. I don't want a diamond but hard enough natural stone for every day wear. The stores markup are ridiculous , that is why I turned to eBay for this purchase. But can't a seller help a buyer out? When I remove most of details I got the same e bay warning, looks like trying to do business outside of e bay and how I would not be protected under e bay. I have seen sellers post they're phone numbers on their sites if buyers wanted additional info, doesn't mean going behind e bay rules. Taking a simple task to make a recommendation to e mails like that , turn me off. So even communication with a seller is harder now. I agree e bay will fail without good sellers and buyers . Seems there has been so many problems since I shopped. I see their is a new paypal thing which I haven't even read yet. Thank you well stated chefon, as you do both, buy and sell.
0 Helpful
lightstars
Scout

in reply to Aug 9, 2014 9:26:56 PM
What I noticed in my selling experience is that I was so crazy worried about getting less than 5 star ratings, like being in kindergarten again...... plus worrying about negative comments (the dreaded red inked feedback) not getting paid, having a buyer want to return item for super bogus reasons...blah blah. I was using super amounts of time packing absolutely perfect, communicating as fast as possible to buyers, taking stuff to the post office ASAP, etc. Then when the chips were down and problems occurred ...waa waa Debbie Downer stepped in to waste me out. I would have better used the energy wasted needlessly to benefit taking care of my mounting health and financial situations.

in reply to Dec 4, 2015 8:11:57 AM
I posted a similar thread about two weeks ago. despite the buyer admitting there was a letter from the post office saing the problem was the post office's fault, i was still "found guilty" and worse yet, I'll be forced to refund them money THAT I NEVER GOT because ebay put a hold on it immediately. This is ridiculous.
0 Helpful
Rockstar
Last Edited 02:58:44 PM

IMHO, most buyers come to eBay to buy items for pennies on the dollar.

You want the seller to foot the bill for all postage costs?  Then be prepared for prices to increase dramatically to cover that expense.

Why should the seller be at a loss if the buyer wasn't responsible enough to realize they couldn't afford the item?

You're aware that most small - midsized sellers here are not large businesses, but just ordinary people selling stuff, right?  How do you suppose they'll survive here if they needed to eat return postage whenever a buyer changed his mind? 

And it's bad enough that a buyer can force a full refund on that prom dress after the prom... you think the seller should be out of pocket for the return postage as well?  Woman Sad

Yeah.... no thanks.

mrobind42
Scout

Re: IMHO, most buyers come to eBay to buy items for pennies o...

in reply to Feb 19, 2014 11:20:09 AM
I agree. I try to provide the best customer service I can. As a new seller I have bent over backwards for many of my customers. I have sold well over a hundred items over the past 4 months and should be a top rated seller however buyers do not seem to think it's important to leave feedback. I have shipped items next day air (at my expense) because a buyer just had to have the item. My husband has driven in icy conditions to take a package to a post office thirty minutes from our home to ship it on Saturday (our post office isn't open on saturday) the buyer received the package monday. Then tried to claim there was no booklet in with the watch. I know there was. Every picture of the item had the booklet in it. I told her if it was a case of buyers remorse ship it back...with the booklet. All of a sudden she wants to keep the watch but now has to activate the warranty. I ended up calling the Dillard's in Akron Ohio to help her activate the warranty when all she had to do was use the book she had. Oh, did I mention the part where she wanted me to send her the receipt? She left no feedback. I had another prospective, now blocked buyer, pester me all night, with questions about a coach watch. Demanded I convert the mm to inches. I answered her first question and she kept on. Finally I told her I was out with my family and would answer her when I got home. 15 messages later, one of which included an offer of $65 on an item listed at BIN $119.95, not or best offer, plus free shipping(proof buyers do not read listings) another calling me a rude seller and she was just a poor disabled person without much money (checked her feedback left and found where she had bought a watch 3 weeks ago; I told her to use that one)I sent her a message with one sentence..."one more and I will report you to ebay" Some Buyers are nuts....and ebay provides them sufficient protection.
rock_3378
Rising Star

in reply to Feb 20, 2014 7:09:40 AM
I don't understand how eBay justifys what they have done to me.

Buyer claimed that item was "not as described" although it was described in great detail in both the item specifics as well as the item description.

I immediately offered a full refund for the unused or damaged item back. It was a beautiful dress that had many bidders. Buyer refused to return dress and now eBay is charging me the full cost. So....I end up with no $, no product and negative feedback!!!

???????HELP??????
Rockstar

in reply to Feb 20, 2014 7:17:41 AM
rock_3378

You need to go back to the start page of the Answer Center
http://community.ebay.com/t5/Answer-Center/ct-p/11000000003

And type your question in the space under where it says
Ask a Question to other eBay Members

That way everyone will see your question and be able to answer it.
0 Helpful
Rockstar
Last Edited 02:54:10 PM

Very few places on the internet, let alone ebay, will pay return shipping for just any reason.

mandaradoni
Guide

Sorry ,  I hope that this never happens. There are just too many scammers out there. I will not refund because my customer didn't know that a micro machines car is only 1 1/2" long.  Or they didn't like the shade of blue on the item.    Many times, the buyer is at fault for NOt reading and looking at the photos.  

If you want  no cost returns, go to the mall.. And even then, it's not free since you will need to spend gas/ care fare to get  to the mall to do the return.

I do understand when the seller is a scammer that it feels so wrong to pay the return shipping but I have discovered that giving them a negative seems to encourage some of them to refund  the shipping inexchange for me removing the negative. It's extortion in a way but I do NOT tell them that I will remove it if I get reimbursed.. but they do know that they blew the auction and lied.  When I make my argument through the resolution center (THIS IS NOT MY BUYING ID),  I do write that it's not fair for me to pay return shipping since the seller knew that the item was defective ....etc..)    

When you buy online, there is always risk.    It's NOT 100% safe.

texasguitar2000
Adventurer

Re: Sorry ,  I hope that this never happens. There are just t...

in reply to Mar 25, 2014 6:44:45 PM
You can't give buyers a negative, only a positive. You can report the buyer to Ebay but Ebay completely ignores such reports. Ebay says they can change negative feedback from buyers if there is a reason but they never do. I had a buyer give me negative because a printer wouldn't print but it was just a error message that needed clearing and I told him how to do that and he sent a message that he got it working and would change the feedback but never did and sent a report to Ebay about it and they did nothing. I still have the negative feedback for selling a working printer.
0 Helpful
texasguitar2000
Adventurer

The reason returns are miniscule is because Ebay doesn't have complete buyer protection. If they did I guarantee there would be a lot more returns.  Just on a whim, or because they changed their mind, just of the hell of it.  They used the item for what they needed it for and just send it back. Not costing them anything. Why not?  If Ebay does that I'm quitting Ebay. 

james3795
Scout

As stated with most people on this question most sellers cannot absorb the cost of return postage. 

I had a buyer this weekend e-mail that the items she bought she realized she already had and requested my address to return item to me.  I provided my address as well as nicest I could explained that  my return policy states I do not pay for return shipping.  I will refund the original cost plus original ship cost to her but that is all I can do.  At this point I wil be  out the original postage as well as e-bay fees as well as the loss of the sell.  So far I haven't hear from her but I also asked her to let me know the tracking # so I will be able to track it.   When I get the item back I will refund her original invoice amount.  Now if the item had arrived not as described or damaged  I would reinburse for her cost to return.

This is very fair, as far as I know she could of used it and just want's to return it now.  One cannot know.  BUT it's funny to me that when I buy from J.C. Penneys, Kohls or any other retailer if I have to return the item for whatever reason the only credit I get is for the item I bought NOT for the shipping cost and if I return I'm out the return shipping cost as well.  This includes if they send the wrong thing or it is damaged in transit.

mr_lincoln
Rockstar

@surfelvis  I disagree on principal alone.  The ONLY Feedback Sellers can leave for Buyers is Positive so the venue does not create a level playing field.  eBay also has a tool for Buyers to use when considering a purchase, eBay Messaging.  Buyers can ask as many questions as they like about an item prior to making a purchase comittment.  Buyers who do NOT take advantage of this tool are being unwise.  Buyers can also ask for additional pictures ... the only draw back there is eBay's messaging pic quality has dropped off and does not work at times BUT, the tool is there for that too.

awings92
Adventurer

Re: When is eBay going to offer complete Buyer Protection...

in reply to Apr 5, 2017 8:02:08 PM
When will ebay start protecting their sellers? I have had so many scammers it is pathetic. They try to threaten to open a case against you hoping to get you to give them a partial refund so they won't have to pay full price. Then people use "not as described" for any reason they can think of for the same purpose..and why can't we as sellers give negative feedback. Isn't ebay about protecting other sellers from scammer buyers?
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

in reply to Apr 5, 2017 8:05:07 PM
What do you sell that you get scammed on so much?
0 Helpful
mr_lincoln
Rockstar

in reply to Apr 16, 2017 2:42:56 PM
Last Edited 02:43:34 PM

@awings92Years ago Sellers could give neg FB to Buyers, I remember this as we started Buying back in 2007. As for Buyers threatening you, look up eBays Feedback Extorsion Policy (following link). Threatening Sellers in general terms is a violation and you can report the Buyer for that. Sadly, at times BOTH Buyers and Sellers have to protect themselves against dishonest counterparts ... the world we live in ... http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

0 Helpful
Rockstar

eBay cannot force the seller to pay for return shipping.

if you expect Ebay to underwrite the cost of return shipping then be ready for fee increases as a seller.

many, many sellers will reimburse for returns and will accept returns for any reason. that is a choice that each seller is allowed to make.

just as it is a choice for each buyer to decide who they buy from.

fortunately, you have not suffered financially from your policy. I haven't either but there are other sellers who cannot afford to pay for returns when a buyer has simply changed their mind or has decided to pick and choose which item they won that they will keep.

the Buyer Protection policy is very comprehensive and very fair at this point. And Ebay has the hassle free returns policy available for sellers to use. there is just not much more that eBay can demand of a seller.

bjmcollectibles
Enthusiast

When you buy anything at all with a credit card --- your credit card company protects you! Regardless of what the other parties return policy is! That is to say that you got something other than what you purchased or the product was defective in some way, etc.

I didn't know this was a big secret but most of my friends did not know this either! SO READ THIS -   EVERY PARTY , EVERY VENDOR, EVERY MERCHANT that acceptis Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover (whatever credit card)---All vendors are subject to the rules of the credit card company!!!! All payments are subject to revocation if the credit card company's policies are not followed. The credit card company will trump the merchants policy every time! Assuming you are in the right and can prove it!  SEE the 2 examples below.

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE 1

I recently had a huge discrepancy with an major auto dealership's online parts center that sent me a body part for a vehicle other than my car. The auto dealership was rude, disrespectful and accused me of ordering the wrong part number and offered no refunds and although they later realized that THEY had made a huge mistake and  sent the wrong part, they demanded I pay return shipping. I refused. Contacted my credit card company and the entire matter was resolved at NO COST to me whatsoever. All charges were removed from my account. I had all email communications as evidence, my printed order form with the details of my order, a photo of the body part I had removed from my car and the body part they sent me. All evidence was that their stock number for the part was wrong! But they still wanted money for their mistake. The big auto dealership tried relentlessly to charge my credit card, for several months but each attempted charge by the dealership was subsequently denied automatically by my credit card company ( i never had to call them again - the charges were simply denied). Finally 3 months later the auto dealership sent a prepaid shipping label for the return of their auto-part. 

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE 2

Recently had a friend that paid a contractor to do work - she paid nearly $7,000 up front (on her credit card) for work and the contractor never completed the job. She was just sick to her stomach after numerous attempts to contact the contractor - who naturally refused to accept her phone calls. I told her to dispute the charge. She had no idea she could do such a thing. I told her to call her credit card company right away, she did so and the credit card company put her at ease right away. From there the credit card company took over for her, they contacted the contractor personally and informed him they were withdrawing the funds ---needless to say the contractor was back on the jobsite the very next day and had the entire job completed to my friends satisfaction.

The two examples above were VISA and AMICAN EXPRESS, but they all offer you protection so Calll your credit card company immediately at the beginning of any dispute. They will at minimum innitiate a dispute for the record (as disputes are restricted to a time frame - usually 30-90 days). Do NOT delay - do not be talked out of it. Get the dispute on record with your credit card company right away!!! 

big-dipper
Adventurer

Re: When you buy anything at all with a credit card --- your...

in reply to Apr 16, 2014 6:12:45 AM
I don't think anyone is arguing that fact that a refund is appropriate if "you got something other than what you purchased or the product was defective in some way, etc."
The OP is requesting that a refund is appropriate if you got exactly what you purchased, the product is not defective in some way, etc., but you are done using it, don't have the money, or just changed your mind.
gabhain
Guide

Buyers need some moral hazard - there has to be some risk built in for both parties, even if it's just the risk of wasted time and having to pay return shipping, to keep the market as honest as possible. Buyer Protection is insurance against total loss from unforeseen risk, not an invitation to behave irresponsibly without any risk. Let's not forget that the seller has to eat the original shipping as well as the item (if damaged) or the opportunity cost of a missed sale to another buyer (in cases of return because buyer just didn't like the item).

I think eBay's policy of splitting the costs is as good a compromise as can be expected for online sales. Look at it this way: with physical stores the buyer usually has to eat the return shipping by driving the item back to the store.

evafindsforyou
Adventurer

Re: Buyers need some moral hazard - there has to be some risk...

in reply to Jun 20, 2017 3:10:46 PM
This explanation is really on point. Thank you.
0 Helpful
lightstars
Scout

WOW  it seems you aren't relying on your "profits" from selling on eBay. 

Unless you don't describe your item sufficiently I can't understand why a seller would be happy to allow returns.  I am not Walmart, or Kaymart who can perhaps absorb returned items costs

I have recently experienced reckless and rude buyers now even change their names on eBay and mount up transaction after transaction cancellations.  Sellers (not in my case ) give positive feedback pitifully because there is no other way to get messages across that a buyer didn't pay, etc.  So a seller very often gives positive feedback then says buyer didn't pay.  I get the feeling some sellers are really coddlng buyers way too much.  They are so afraid of losing business or offending someone.  There are costly reasons why sellers are worried of course and I get it this is for sure.  However,  I think the only way buyers will get the point that there are at least some sellers out here who REALLY need the money from their sales after paying  soaring pkging costs and selling fees. Sellers need to be steadfast insistent on eBay's rules.  We need to be consistent.  Ebay too needs a serious adjustement regarding seller dissatisfactions.

lightstars
Scout

HMMMM  I think you should try selling for a month or so and see what all the fuss is about  on the sellers end.

Rockstar

Look for sellers who offer "Hassle-Free" returns.

They will pay return shipping if the item is "not as described".

mrobind42
Scout

Re: Look for sellers who offer "Hassle-Free" returns. They wi...

in reply to Feb 19, 2014 11:01:48 AM
I offer a 30 day hassel free return. But I do not pay for the buyer to ship it back. I already follow every rule or "advice" ebay gives. I ship same day, free expedited shipping and a 30 day no questions asked money back quarantee IF the item is in the same condition as when I shipped it. It must come back with everything it went with, and if there are signs of the item being worn (prom dress above) there will be no refund. And ebay just backed me on this. I will send the item back, but the buyer has to pay for that shipping as well. As for mandaradoni, it is your responsibility as a buyer to not only read the ENTIRE listing, look closely at ALL the pics, and check the sellers feedback before purchasing. Threats wouldn't work with me. Someone can leave me negative all day long, as long as I am right, I can have it removed. Any website should be regarded as buyer beware as well as seller beware. Not only does ebay protect buyers but PayPal does as well. What is needed is more Seller protection. We should be able to leave negative feedback on unpaid items. I have had nine in the past three weeks. Payment should be due immediately regardless if it is buy it now or auction. A buyer knows when the auction ends and I would hope they know how much money they have. If you win an auction or buy it now, payment should be made immediately. No excuses.

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Complete buyer protection  is an option that some sellers provide with a free ship back as well as a free ship to the customer. Keep in mind that sellers who do this also up the prices of their items to cover this additional cost of doing business. Some cannot or think they cannot afford this . Most will up their prices if they are forced to do it. Well then, Ebay is definately going to have more higher priced items as a result. 

jun.eternal
Adventurer

not even amazon pays for return shipping for just changing their mind.

having said that, i think ebay should force seller to pay for return shipping for defective/not as described item.

why should i as buyer have to pay for seller's mistake or a scam?

i bought a memory bed before and it came completely unusable.

it was all crumpled up and would not inflate back to normal size.

(subsequently i bought a another memory bed from a another seller and it inflated back to normal size fine)

but i had to pay for return shipping which came to about $80.

so i am out $80 and nothing to show for, not to mention all the time and enegy  i had to waste to return the item.

which seems bs to me.

Re: not even amazon pays for return shipping for just changin...

in reply to Jun 1, 2017 12:42:45 PM
All sellers are required to take care of there customers if an items that arrives damaged, defective this would be covered by Ebay buyer protection seller would be responsible to send replacement or free return shipping or refund from Seller. If the seller is not willing just open a case you will win every time as per ebay policy
0 Helpful
ustables
Adventurer

Well said. I am a buyer and a hopeful future ebay seller and I agree wiht what you said.