cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage or Contemporary enamel buttons

Please let me start by saying I am ALMOST totally clueless.  The little I know is from reading this board.  Daddy always told me to find people who know there stuff, ask questions, sit back and learn.   well, here I am

I have acquired some enamel buttons (learned they are enamel here), and would so appreciate knowing more about them so I don't sound like a complete moron, or give shoppers incorrect information.  I can't find any makers marks on any. 

Maybe yould help with vintage or contempory?  Any idea of the metal? How do you describe the thingie the thread goes thru (sorry, I told you I was clueless) best to list as a set or per item?

Set 1  FrontSet 1 FrontSet 1 BackSet 1 BackSet 2 FrontSet 2 FrontSet 2 BackSet 2 BackSet 3 FrontSet 3 FrontSet 3 BackSet 3 Back

Ok, make fun of my thingie description.  LOL

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The thingie you mentioned is called a shank. Do yourself a favor and join the National Button Society. And then look at your state listed to find a local button club you can join. The NBS have been around since the 1940s and are the biggest repository for information and education on buttons. Right now you can look at http://www.nationalbuttonsociety.org/Button_Country.html to see enamels and their shanks. Also, if you are on Facebook, there are a lot of sites there that constantly show photos of buttons and provide education on the buttons age, materials, makers. Good luck.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you so much for the quick response and the informational link. I will do as you suggest and research the sites.

Thank you again
Message 3 of 3
latest reply