cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information On "The Big Book of Buttons"

labloverfromsc
Enthusiast
Hi again everyone! I have enjoyed reading your posts and introductions. I wondered if anyone knows if they are going to do another printing of "The Big Book of Buttons" by Elizabeth Hughes? I have tried to buy my daughter some good identification button books, but so many sellers and collectors refer to this book as a must and a button collectors "bible". What I do know is the last printing was in the 1990's and it weighs about 7#s and has alot of identifing photos. What shocked me is that I have seen this book anywhere from $125.00 to $895.00 on Amazon or the used bookstores online! This is a bit steep for an 11 year old OR her mom. I called many used bookstores around my area to no avail. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

mjsagonnett I too, have had the same problems trying to secure a copy of " The Big Book of Buttons" With prices very high, I e'mailed the former publisher several months ago to ask whether they are going to publish another edition. Their response was "NO" they had no intention of re-publishing this book. Sorry, But I was disapointed and I'm sure you are as well.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I know the book is expensive, but your local library has a copy that can be checked out. Whenever, my daughter and I need to know something, we just check it out. Having your own copy is the best. Do you have the book "Encyclopedia of Buttons" book? Thanks - Linda at The Responder
Linda Falkenthal
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

labloverfromsc
Enthusiast
Thank you Linda and MJ. NBS had them at one time for their members at a reasonable price but they are no longer available and I am not sure if they ever will be since the book is out of print. I too checked with the printers and publishers to no avail and our library in SC does not even have the book, so we have never seen it. We do however keep up to date with the NBS pamphlets, and yes we do have the Encyclopedia of Buttons, Antique & Collectible Buttons Volume I & II and Buttons, all very good button books in their own rights. Perhaps we will just be lucky one day and run across one at a yard sale for a super low price (<: - one can always dream.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I do have a friend that has the big book for sale Please email her privately at zuzubuttons@comcast.net Big Book of Buttons 2nd edition for $300 plus shipping Media rate is $3.52 but since it weighs over 5 pounds priority mail would be based on your zip code.. it is in excellent condition..tell her purple-peg sent you..
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The BBB is being reprinted with updates, it'll be expensive, grab a used copy when you can find it at a reasonable price and don't fall for paying dealers a reserve copy fee. What a sham that idea is.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

labloverfromsc
Enthusiast
Hi again and thanks for the update svengali! I also read on Amazon the following review on Elizabeth Hughes "Big Book of Buttons": This is the button bible! Great for the button pro or the button beginner! For years now, button collectors all over the world have been trying to get their hands on this book: Many have spent hundreds of their hard earned money on it through online auctions. Many have written to the publishers several times asking them to please re-release this out-of-print book. The publishers declared that "no, it is too expensive to re-print", or "no, we are absolutely not printing this book again". Guess what? Save your pennies! THE BIG BOOK OF BUTTONS: 3RD EDITION IS BEING RELEASED SUMMER OF 2006! Information is accurate, as some retailers are already taking pre-orders an entire year ahead of time. 3rd edition is expected to sell between 225.00 & 275.00. Book will now have all new updates, including some plastic buttons. Still a heck of alot of money for my 11 year old button collector daughter. Perhaps it will bring the price down on the older more dated books someday. Happy collecting (<:
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

underwood_estates_1
Enthusiast
EIther that or pray that you go to a garage sale and somebody has it there and they don't know what they have. "Oh sure, I will give you 10 bucks for it. :)" Aundrea
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't know much either so I'll ask too:

Does anyone know how many editions this book has? Two or three?    I heard the scoop that a third editon was coming out  (2006 or 2008) but I don't see it anywhere. I assume it never happened? Who out there knows some and any info on this book? I am collecting buttons and don't have a clue how much they are worth. I am a beginner. So any help would be great!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

There are 3 editions- 1981, 1991, and the latest one in 2010 (I have it). The ISBN is 978-1-878282-38-5,it is a 2-volume set. by St. Johann Press.

http://www.stjohannpress.com/

The new one is fantastic, but expensive. There is also a separate price guide.

RKev479
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for answering me so fast. I really didnt think I would get a response so quickly. I had asked several people from different backgrounds with no real answers to my questions. Thank you. I am new to buttons. What got you into button collecting?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

My Grampy had fabulous buttons, collected for years and used to sell them by the jar at auction after he retired for about $50. a mayo jar full-- that was in the 1970s no less. I have enjoyed buttons since i was small but really got the collecting urge around 2000 and also am a memeber of the National Button Society since 2012. I collect carved shell (MOP) buttons mostly and also some others. I also resell buttons that I get in search of the ones I want to keep. Sorting buttons is great for stress relief too.

RKev479
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

That was a great photo and story. I love it. I am addicted and I dont know why. It doesnt matter I guess. I get so excited to see jars of buttons. I'm wierd I guess. I talked to a lady the other day (I am quite talkative) and we both didnt know why we collected buttons. It has just been several months for me. You talked about the National button society? Interesting...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

We have this for sale, see my post, if you are interested?
Message 14 of 14
latest reply