Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

Building a better online Community

Building a better online Community

Community Team
Community Team
Last Edited 07:58:51 AM

Hi all,

We’re reimagining the online Community experience at eBay and we can’t do this without you. Over the next several weeks we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  - in an effort to get your input on what you would like the new Community online experience to include.

To make sure we capture all of your ideas, thoughts and comments over the next few weeks and beyond - you’ll notice a few new faces online. For example, alan@ebay is joining Griff, myself and the eBay Community team as our dedicated Community Manager. After over 3 years on the boards in Dublin, Ireland, Alan is joining us at eBay headquarters in San Jose, CA. Welcome alan@ebay!

At its core, eBay is a place to sell, buy, connect, and learn - but most importantly - eBay is a place to belong.  And, our online Community plays a big part in making that happen. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts as we build the best Community experience together.

The eBay Community Team

Message 1 of 606
605 REPLIES

Re: Building a better online Community

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 8:39:30 AM
belleoftheprom
Trailblazer

I would like to see a Ignore button.

ty

Message 2 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:09:27 AM
hawgryders
Trailblazer
The user names should be scrambled so that only Admin level can see them --- this would help keep the nannies from harassing those they disagree with --- and also would keep the "I know what's best for you" crowd away from interfering with other peoples business ...

Message 3 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:11:49 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@belleoftheprom wrote:

ty

Yes - one that works as the function implies. NOT just ignoring community messages.

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:14:03 AM
labs118
Rockstar

karen@ebay

Hi Karen I am not sure how most people who post will even find this.
If not for a poster posting the link to the selling board I would not have found it.
Can you post it or pin the link here to the tops of the selling & buying boards maybe?

Message 5 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:20:22 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@focusoncommunity wrote:

At its core, eBay is a place to sell, buy, connect, and learn - but most importantly - eBay is a place to belong.  And, our online Community plays a big part in making that happen. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts as we build the best Community experience together.

The eBay Community Team

Sell - only if your items are seen.

Buy - only if you are able to find what you WANT, not what chinese junk ebay wants to show you.

Connect - only with people on the boards. ebay doesn't want you to talk to your customers.

Learn - the boards are the only place to learn, and only from other posters. Too bad you don't put even 1/4 as much effort into that than you do your in-your-Facebook pages.

Belong - ebay USED to be a place to belong. Sorry, but the last CEO destroyed that. That 'be long' gone. Not sure anything will bring it back. Including the posters who were thrown out because of posts like this.

While we applaud your effort, we shall see what the end result is.

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:25:20 AM
posting*master
Rockstar

@focusoncommunity wrote:

.... we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  ....

Where is "here"?  

Like some of the other posters, I found this thread only through a link that another member posted on the Seller discussion board.  And knowing that it exists,  I still cannot find it even if I search.

Please post this as a "sticky" where it will be seen: at the top of the Seller discussion board and perhaps also on "Bidding & buying." 

Message 7 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:27:39 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@posting*master wrote:

@focusoncommunity wrote:

.... we’ll post updates, questions and ideas right here  ....

Where is "here"?  

Like some of the other posters, I found this thread only through a link that another member posted on the Seller discussion board.  And knowing that it exists,  I still cannot find it even if I search.

Please post this as a "sticky" where it will be seen: at the top of the Seller discussion board and perhaps also on "Bidding & buying." 

And especially under the dropdown for 'Discussion Boards'.

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:30:53 AM
ymeagainlord
Rockstar
Kind of like the Seller Hub board can ONLY be found by following a link in a sticky on the selling board?

What's the point of a board if it's not on the MENU?

(like the super secret member to member thing)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 9 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:31:01 AM
circa1901
Rockstar

@belleoftheprom wrote:

ty

Yes, so would I.

Message 10 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:33:21 AM
Rockstar
Last Edited 09:34:04 AM

Hi DKSmiley Happy excellent points,
I hope this board is not lost in a few months, (if found to begin with) like the old T&S board, which actually was a great help to many sellers.

karen@ebayPlease make this board visible on the drop down.

Message 11 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:33:38 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Kind of like the Seller Hub board can ONLY be found by following a link in a sticky on the selling board?

What's the point of a board if it's not on the MENU?

(like the super secret member to member thing)

And I didnt even get my decoder ring yet!

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:35:39 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar
Last Edited 09:36:18 AM

Hi star!    Smiley Happy

The only posters who are going to respond here - so far - will be the ones who read the post on the sellers board. And that was posted by another poster - not even the community person!!!!

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:38:18 AM
dorskinny
Rockstar

Where is here?

I have no idea where we are.....

I'm scared

Message 14 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:41:54 AM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@dorskinny wrote:

Where is here?

I'm scared

I dont think we're in Kansas anymore ..............

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:43:43 AM
circa1901
Rockstar

@hawgryders wrote:
The user names should be scrambled so that only Admin level can see them --- this would help keep the nannies from harassing those they disagree with --- and also would keep the "I know what's best for you" crowd away from interfering with other peoples business ...

Sorry, but that's a terrible idea, IMO.

Message 16 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:47:23 AM
bostongrammy
Rockstar

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@belleoftheprom wrote:

I would like to see a Ignore button....

Yes - one that works as the function implies. NOT just ignoring community messages.

Ditto (tritto? quinto?).

I was at the user meeting that Jeff had in San Jose in June 2013 just before these boards went live. Jeff's difficulty at managing the meeting (despite backup support from Jason Smith, and from Griff after lunch) reflected his lack of skills in personnel management and lack of insight into group dynamics.

Many of the unanimous suggestions and opinions expressed by the members at that meeting were ignored or even vetoed on-the-spot, including options for "ignore" and for giving "thumbs down" ratings, even though those are useful tools for members to control their user experience.  

A huge amount of misinformation is still published on the board, and a thumbs-down as an antidote to a "kudo" is needed.   The green "answered" designation is chosen by the thread's OP , who is often the least-qualified to determine its validity and is thus often incorrect especially when related to policies that change over time (returns, defects, cancellations, etc.). That problem can be balanced by a "thumbs down" vote from better-informed members. It worked just fine on the earlier version of the boards. Jeff's notion that it wasn't needed, because correct posts would come from other members and outweigh the misinformed post, just does not work, especially in the Answer Center, where other members won't even see the question if the OP has already chosen an answer (possibly the wrong one).

@retrose1  This one's for you!

Message 17 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 9:58:35 AM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the welcome, karen@ebay

Hello everyone! 

I am eager to get to know you all and listen to your ideas. 

Thanks for your feedback on this board not being prominent enough, we will make some updates shortly that will change that. 

Speak soon! 

Alan | eBay Community Manager

If a members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions 

Message 18 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 10:22:09 AM
Rockstar

@dorskinny wrote:

Where is here?

I'm scared

Waving to Dor, Labs,Circa, etc.waving smiley.gif

I am scared too, the post I made does not show on my list of recent post made.

Kinda like hide and seek.

alan@ebay

Please make this board visible, so we can work on actually reviving the "community"

Message 19 of 606

in reply to Aug 9, 2016 10:26:29 AM
llllady
Rockstar
Last Edited 10:27:27 AM

If someone needs or wants to have a listing looked at for whatever reason—whether it’s their own or that of someone else—they should be allowed to post a link instead of just posting the listing number.  Both ways may get you to the same place, but allowing the link is more efficient!

When someone is adding a photo, and the photo is wider than the width of the posting area, it would be great if the photo AUTOMATICALLY could be re-scaled to fit the space. Oftentimes large photos are posted (usually done for help in identifying an item), and they take forever to load and you can’t see the whole photo on the screen.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 20 of 606