cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dont understand how one seller gets $40 and another seller gets $5 for the same magazine.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I dont understand how one seller gets $40 and another seller gets $5 for the same magazine.

Supply and Demand

Condition of the magazine

More creative advertising

Luck

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I feel your pain! What's more bizarre to me is when I have something listed, in excellent condition, then discover that another something identical, in lesser condition & priced higher, sold before mine did. And so, I just keep trying to learn ways to make my listings better. Good luck to you!
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

As already stated condition makes a big difference. Also compare the listings. Some listings that I see show nothing but a photo and a title and little or nothing else. I wonder how these sellers sell anything. I provide detailed listings for every book and magazine I list.  I have found that sometimes describing contents will sell a publication as a buyer is looking for information on a specific topic or specific person. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I think there is also a factor of randomness... sometimes it depends on which keywords the buyer has searched, whether they are thorough in looking at everything that comes up in the search, etc. Also, if the sales happen at slightly different times it's possible that the higher-priced item was the only one available at the time the buyer was searching.

Another factor from a buyer's perspective might be whether it's in auction or Buy It Now format. Auctions require a person to wait to the end to see if they are outbid. Buy It Now are more of a sure thing that can be finished with immediately, even though the item might cost more.

I am a buyer, not a seller, and these are some of the factors I've noticed.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Another factor is who is bidding on the item, is it a dealer, hobby collector, serious collector or information seeker.

I was searching over 20 years for a book for my personal collection. Most dealers would offer the book for around $50.00.    A copy came up on Ebay and I really wanted the book so I put in a snipe for around $165.00 and was out outbid by two other bidders for the item.  Five years later I was able to pick up a copy for $15.00.  On the first item you had three serious collector wanting the item and the one I purchased  there was one other bidder, who was most likely a hobby collector.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Timing is also a factor. 

You will also see the same magazine Unsold copies. 

Some people are good at selling. They can sell a penny book here for $10 or $20.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I generally take a picture of the table of contents and when possible, the list of advertisers as well.

Saves typing and the information is there for those who need it.

I do try and describe the magazine, if it isn't something totally obvious: I don't think I'd bother mentioning "Trains" is about trains.

Reputation may have something to do with it.

And depth of inventory.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Oftentimes, prospective bidders/buyers do Not make the time and effort to research the marketplace, including conducting comparison total pricing-shipping & condition description details.  As a eBay Buyer only of primarily books, printed matter for personal reading/library, I expect and insist that Sellers adhere to eBay Seller listing & selling practices policies and act on performance standards.  Of course, this does not immunize me from being willingly deceived and/or defrauded by some unethical, dishonest sellers.  Read Me----given the aborted, incompetent, do-nothing 'Report a Seller' eBay procedure---the most informed, thoroughly-messaged information-providing Buyer is incapable of rectifying seller irregularities or policies violations, and initiating investigative, punitive actions.

On the other hand, however, Sellers have the full benefit of several options to 'Report a Buyer'---All of

which are aptly recorded, copied, monitored and prescribed actionable.

In conclusion,  I salute you and other sellers who labor and strive day-to-day in This IS A Business --

Customer-Centric Enterprise, always maintaining fidelity to eBay's original core principle of

The Seller-Buyer Transanctional Agreement/Contract.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

you are seeming to indict a seller for charging $59 for a magazine while another seller charges $4 .

That's just plain misguided, to say the least.

There are levels to the aftermarket. Somebody with an estate to liquidate quickly will be happy to recieve far less than true market value for an item and this runs true throughout the site. We sell Fiestaware, as well, as on any given day any given item we might pick up will be asking well under the general market value and also well over the general market value as determined by a review of the market--including Etsy, Facebook, Ruby Lane and else where.

How else can anybody run a business by attending auctions and then auctioning off what is one?

Try using a thinner brush. Most people are honest on both sides of the transaction.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The answer is usually quite mundane.

When looking at sold prices on ebay, when a direct offer has been made through the ebay messaging system and the item sells, the original price shows as the price for which the item sold. Direct offers are the new best offer and there is absolutely no transparency when this occurs. Sold listings only tell you so much these days. Direct offer is used more than people realize these days.

Other factors play in of course, thoroughness of description, condition, a favorable seller in the buyers opinion (level of feedback, familiarity, clarity of picture, search rank and placement, shipping method and speed of delivery time, free shipping, etc)

Cost is not the driving factor in many buyers motivations, the human mind is easily manipulated. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

And of course, another obvious reason is that you can not receive what you do not ask for.

It is quite common in other areas of the marketplace as well, clothing for example. $150 suits will sell for $20, simply because the seller either chose to ask very little to move the product quickly or they were unaware of current market conditions or made the fatal mistake of auctioning instead of BIN. Either way, had they asked the $150, and utilized patience they would have eventually received that price.  

Inefficiencies in any marketplace are a good thing and allow the astute few to maximize these factors to their benefit. Arbitrage is the game to play these days. In many cases, the $50 seller of the magazine will buy the $5 copy and mark it up to $50.  Underprice a high quality book and watch how fast it sells. If you list a $300 book for $50 it will sell within minutes, and within days you can find that same title on a booksellers shelf for $350.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply