cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help dating Dante's Inferno

This beautiful book has no copyright date, and I'm trying to sell it for a friend.  I found a few that sold on ebay, but the dates vary that they give.  Can anyone tell me when this was published?  Thank you so much!!!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Although this is way way way outside my specialties, you should know that the date is not that important for this book.  Were it mine, I'd put something like [circa 1880s].  What matters is the illustrator, and condition.  Unfortunately, yours is in pretty rough shape.  B/c of the Dore illustrations, I would double list it in art prints.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Just re-read your post:  be aware that copyright date often bears no relation to when the book was actually printed.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

That style of decorated board was typically later than the 1880's, closer to the turn of the century.

Thompson did not become a partner in the publishing house until 1897, according to one source, which would verify the latter period.

http://www.georgewpeck.com/publishers/thompson.html

The street address, if known, can zero it in more, but as you say it is the illustrations and the quality of them which will determine the value of the book. The casing is far from ideal.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply