cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Global Shipping Program

Has anyone used it? If so, what is your opinion?

We recently decided to give the Global Shipping Program (GSP) a try after another book went missing in the black hole of South America. Although we don't sell many books to SA, the last 5 or so in the past year never arrived. We did consider, of course, eliminating South America, from where we ship to but decided to first try GSP.

Also several months ago I had a buyer from Sweden email me about two volumes I was selling. He had recently purchased a large and heavy set of books and his shipping cost was less than what I could offer on just 2 much lighter books. 

When we checked a 7 vol set of regular sized books that we have for shipping to the UK, the buyer would pay about $40.00 in shipping which is less that what a Flat Rate Priority Medium Box would be. For us to ship those to a UK buyer, it would be at least double the cost or more.

Maybe by offering the GSP we might gain back some of the international buyers we used to have before postage costs became so high. GSP now ships to 102 countries.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/global-shipping-program/help.html#tab=eligible-co...

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

I use it frequently and have quite a few international sales through it. I've never had a problem.

I didn't used to list large sets through the GSP because I figured no one would want to pay international postage. Then I accidentally listed a set of about 20 Time-Life books and forgot to uncheck the GSP option, and the books sold to someone in Ireland. After that I started offering sets through the GSP - IF the books can be shipped in one box. It's a GSP requirement that a shipment fits in one box.

I only offer books through the GSP that are in very good or better condition because I worry about non-English speakers understanding the description of the flaws.

And, yes, the intl shipping rates charged the buyers are quite reasonable. When the program first started, the intl shipping rates were high. About a year ago, the rates dropped and they're now the same or lower than what I would have to pay to ship.

Message 2 of 88
latest reply

From a buyer's point of view it's a rip off

They will extend it to the whole of the world if they wish to, experienced wise buyers will avoid it like the plague and outrageous prices are only one aspect of it, there is nothing reasonable about the whole system, AT ALL
Message 3 of 88
latest reply

carolynnq - Good to hear that have had quite a few international sales using GSP and never had a problem. Considering how few international sales I have anymore due to high US postal rates, I figured it would be worth a try. As I mentioned it was a combination of sending books to the black hole of South America where it seemed all I was ever doing was refunding and the lower price I saw in shipping by GPS (via Pitney Bowes) when I tried a few books, I decided I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot. As of now I am using it on all books and did a mass edit. I'll try it that way first and see what happens.

re: "And, yes, the intl shipping rates charged the buyers are quite reasonable. When the program first started, the intl shipping rates were high. About a year ago, the rates dropped and they're now the same or lower than what I would have to pay to ship."

I went back and checked the 2 vol set [6 lbs 12 oz] that the guy in Sweden was interested in buying but would not because of "MY" shipping cost of $66.25 or $59.65 was "not acceptable!" One cost was for the flat rate priority medium box and the other for regular priority. I always put both options in since many times one can not really tell when listing which is the better deal. Anyway, under the GPS his cost would be $39.38. Don't know if that would have been acceptable to him but maybe he would have bought it. At the minimum I would not have received an email that didn't brighten my day! LOL

Also, it was not a set of books that he bought in Nov but a massive atlas that weighed 5.5 kg (12 lbs). He said that the international shipping cost to Sweden via GSP was $36.04. Given that my 2 weigh nearly 7 lbs, the rates may have gone up since Nov and it appears that there may be a wider range than under USPS where 1 oz over a pound may end up tossing you into the next bracket.

chiaretta - Thanks for the imput from an international buyer. I am curious as to why you find the GSP prices outrageous compared to the US postal system prices. Is that on smaller books? I only 'tested' the waters on large and heavy books and not ones that could be sent by standard mail (under 4 lbs). Specifically, what do you find unreasonable about the system? Over 40% of my business used to be international sales until the USPS kept increasing postage costs and every year that percent would go lower and lower to the point it is a rare week when I have an international sale.

Message 4 of 88
latest reply

I have used it here in the UK,as long as it get to the centre in your country safely you are fine, it takes the risk out of sending stuff to places like Italy where I would not send  there via the normal post due to the poor local postal service.

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

Rogersbooks - re: "as long as it get to the centre in your country safely you are fine, it takes the risk out of sending stuff to places like Italy . . ."

That is one of the features I like. Thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 88
latest reply

I would add read the t and c's about sizes and weights they will accept to ship. I sold a fishing rod to Canada via gsp and as I had not read the conditions carefully it was more than the maxium parcel  length and it could not be sent I know this would not affect books but may on other things people sell.

Message 7 of 88
latest reply

No direct experience with GSP, but a couple of concerns I've read in other forums:

-- Items being repacked in smaller, less protective packages to save on weight before international dispatch.

-- Buyers getting hit with unusually high customs/ duty fees, sometimes for things their country doesn't even charge for (e.g., books.)

I could be wrong, but sellers must be subject to bad feedback related to GSP transactions. Will eBay remove feedback for shoddy (re)packing or fees the buyer thinks are excessive? Proper packaging alone is something I would hate to have out of my control.

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

emmbook - The repacking, if they really do that when books are properly packed in a box that is the correct size is a concern and has been ever since I first read that repacking happens. However, I doubt if every item is repacked and if properly packed in the first place, I suspect the box is just opened to check for contents and then sealed again. I dunno but I think PB gets better rates from the USPS than you or I could and that is where their money is made primarly and not by paying people to see if a couple of ounces will save on shipping weight. We shall see...in any case:

"Although you’re responsible for getting the package safely to the Global Shipping Center, in general you won’t be responsible if the item is damaged or lost during international shipping. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program policies and FAQs. Undeliverable items may not be returned to you."

PROTECTION

Am I protected from negative feedback?

Your buyers will be able to leave you feedback for transactions involving GSP items. However, eBay will remove negative or neutral feedback associated with GSP transactions in the following circumstances:

If your buyer files an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim against you involving a GSP item and eBay resolves the claim in your favor because you were not at fault, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP item.

If after acceptance at the Global Shipping Center a GSP item is not, or cannot be, delivered to your buyer, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP item.

If a GSP item is delivered to your buyer and your buyer leaves you negative or neutral feedback associated with the GSP item but does not file an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, you may contact Customer Support to request that any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP item be removed. eBay will review the transaction and may remove the feedback if the circumstances fall within the feedback removal policy.

My item was shipped and it was damaged in transit? What do I do?

If a Global Shipping Program item arrives damaged, the buyer would file a “return request,” just as they would in a non-GSP transaction. In many cases the buyer is covered by either the eBay Money Back Guarantee or the PayPal Purchase Protection program. If the case against the seller remains unresolved contact eBay Customer Service. Click here for more information on buyer terms and conditions.

However, if the item was damaged when it arrived at the Global Shipping Center, in most cases the seller would then be responsible for the refund.

For more info & Q&A - http://tinyurl.com/j9jljxc

Message 9 of 88
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

Undeliverable items may not be returned to you."

If a destination country considers images or subject matter in your books to be unwelcome in their country and banned, your book could be confiscated as it goes through customs. When you ship internationally (without ebay's GSP) you have control over which countries you ship to and can choose to ship to countries that have a more liberal policy. Is this something to be concerned about? I have art books with images of nudes that I've been hesitant to offer internationally for that reason. BTW, does anyone know which countries don't restrict books with images of nudes?

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

Many countries prohibit importation of "Indecent and obscene prints, paintings, books, cards, lithographs, and other engravings, films, video tapes, or any other indecent or obscene articles." 

"Indecent" is the word I can't get around. Is a print of a beautiful nude "indecent?" Am I making too much of this or am I right to be concerned? 

Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Rockmaple - I have always shipped worldwide and have never had a problem except for the lost books of South America. Persosnally, if my country banned certain books, I would not take the chance of buying those books and having customs open them and end up in jail or worse. I have sold to more countries than I can count, including China, and none of those buyers seem to be into nude art books or 'racy books'.

On another note, I just sold my first book via GSP. Buyer is registered in Denmark. I can't remember the last time I sold to Denmark or to Europe for that matter.

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

While I almost always sell internationally I have only been using the GSP for about six months. In that time I have two books sell internationally. Both times I found it easy to use and inexpensive compared to paying international rates at USPS. I shipped a book to Japan for what was basically the rate for domestic first class mail. Seems to be a very good service so far.

Michael

Message 13 of 88
latest reply

@lludwig wrote:

Rockmaple - Persosnally, if my country banned certain books, I would not take the chance of buying those books and having customs open them and end up in jail or worse.

Good point.

Message 14 of 88
latest reply

I have opted out of the GSP for my listings.  I got an inquiry from an international buyer looking for reduced shipping costs.  Can i list a single item with GSP without having to opt in to the program and as a result make all my listings eligible for GSP.?   My understanding is that if you opt in, you have to uncheck global shipping for each listiing for which you do not wish to use GSP.

Message 15 of 88
latest reply