cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arthur Hailey "Hotel" first edition - but no publisher is shown

I have a hardcover edition of Arthur Hailey's Hotel with all the attributes of Doubleday's edition but nowhere does it say "Doubleday" outside or inside (nor any other publisher, for that matter).  Even has the photo of Mr. Hailey and his daughter on the back of the dust jacket.  It states that it is a "first edition."  Looks a bit small (7 3/4" x 5 1/2" ).   It does not say book club edition and there is no price shown.  Without the notation of any publisher, does anyone know what it is that I have here?

Thanks very much in advance.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You have a book club or pirated copy.  The true first edition/first printing has a number line and a price on the flap.  And a publisher.  

See if there is a mark at the bottom of the rear cover - that would indicate book club. 

Rita

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You have a book club or pirated copy.  The true first edition/first printing has a number line and a price on the flap.  And a publisher.  

See if there is a mark at the bottom of the rear cover - that would indicate book club. 

Rita

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, Rita, for that reply.  I am not seeing a blindstamp on the bottom of the rear cover.  I suppose even a book club edition would show a publisher, so maybe thuis is some sort of a pirated copy.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I don't know about this book, in particular, but while I believe Melda is right, she has all the wrong reasons.

Doubleday did not start using number lines until very late in their existence, when the became a small part of one of the big three publishing holding companies.

Doubleday, in 1965 always used "First Edition" to denote first printings and didn't bother with keeping track of printings after the first, removing that statement.

If there is a price on the dust jacket, then look at the back board for a small indented square, dot, or maple leaf (for those printed in Canada) indicating a book club. If there is no price on the jacket, then it is a book club.

USUALLY a smaller format indicates a book club, but that is not always true. Some book clubs were and are larger format, and some trade printings are small format.

Book club editions, until the Science Fiction, History and Quality Paperback clubs started publishing their own books, almost always carried the name of the original publisher in all the normal places. The exception would be Nelson Doubleday imprints, which are book club imprints. Some of these are true first printings and even more are first hardcover printings.

Ain't nothin' simple and straightfoward about aftermarket bookselling.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I appreciate that you took the time to provide the additional information.

Alan G.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Looks like a Taiwanese piracy. Definitely not a book club edition.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Interesting information - A followup question:

Am I correct that I would not be able to try to sell this edition since eBay policy proscribes listing unauthorized copies?  (I am asking because I see sales and listings that state "Taiwanese Pirated Edition" or similar language in the titles.)

Thanks - and I appreciate having the benefit of your expertise.

Alan G.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply