cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1913 Webster's Dictionary

I can’t find a 1913 edition of Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, published by the G. & C. Merriam Company, for sale.  Is there anything special about this particular dictionary, that there wouldn’t be one for sale online?  Maybe my search skills are lacking and there are lots of copies out there, but I just didn’t find them.

I see you can use an online version of the 1913 edition for free.  Maybe there are none for sale because if you can use the online version for free, why buy (or sell) a copy.  Yet, it’s a nice dictionary with lots of pictures.

My thanks to all who respond.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

About what I thought. Most copies that came up sold in the $50 to $150 range, a few higher, going back a few years. Condition usually drives values, but older dictionaries are historical documents and are desirable for content as well. The missing endpaper on yours is a serious flaw but in this case probably not fatal. I'd try it at $50, if it was mine.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I can't restst asking:

Why do you need a copy?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@gismas wrote:

I can't restst asking:

Why do you need a copy?

Nope.  I have one I was going to take to the flea market.  It looks like a common dictionary, but thought I'd get an idea of what it might be worth, so I checked online and couldn't find one for sale.  Every English dictionary ever printed seems to be listed for sale, but not this one (that I could find).  Either it is uncommon for some reason, or no bookseller thinks it is worth listing because you can read it for free online.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It's not uncommon, but, if it's in good condition, I wouldn't dump it at a flea market. Merriam Webster dictionaries have a chachet that other dictionaries don't, and unabridged ones are sought after.

Gotta go now, but I'll see what I can dig up in the way of historical pricing data later. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@bookthink wrote:

It's not uncommon, but, if it's in good condition, I wouldn't dump it at a flea market. Merriam Webster dictionaries have a chachet that other dictionaries don't, and unabridged ones are sought after.

Gotta go now, but I'll see what I can dig up in the way of historical pricing data later. 

Thank you, Bookthink, for your response.

The book is in good shape, but missing the marbled front endpaper.  I figured if it was a common dictionary, that lost page would hurt the value considerably—hence the decision to take it to the flea market.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

About what I thought. Most copies that came up sold in the $50 to $150 range, a few higher, going back a few years. Condition usually drives values, but older dictionaries are historical documents and are desirable for content as well. The missing endpaper on yours is a serious flaw but in this case probably not fatal. I'd try it at $50, if it was mine.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@bookthink wrote:

Thank you for the information and the advice.  Very helpful.  I think your suggestion to start at fifty is a good one.  Thanks for the response.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I have a G. & C Merriam Co. copyright in 1914 it is a Wester's Elementary-School Dictionary. I do not if this can help or not. I will be displaying it in my Ebay Store tonight. Reg. U.S. Pat off. American Book Company. Springfield, Mass. G,&C Merrian Co 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Totally different book. The Unabridged is about 6" think, written for adults.

The elementary school version isn't.

Good luck with your listing.

I'll be listing a 19th century dictionary here sometime soon, unabridged--the first unabridged, I think this one is the second.

I'm glad you brought this old thread back to life for that reason.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Wow! $50 to $150 for a 1913 Webster's? I have a 1850 copy for sale in the shop right now at £25. Have I under-priced it? The binding shows it has been used a good bit, but it is sturdy, intact, hinges and all, and the contents are nice and clean.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

There is quite a nice little market for Dictionaries from the early to mid 20th century, and in particular Websters, although many other varieties also sell well from this time period. I always have great luck with dictionaries from this time period and they always sell pretty fast, for a book. As you can see from the below market results, old dictionaries should always be considered. To boot, most establisments and many sellers of books value them about as much as a rusty can of nails, so you can always get away cheap when sourcing them, many times even given away, as they are so large and cumbersome to deal with. Personally I pick up every dictionary before 1945 in decent condition that I can get my hands on for a reaonable price.  Easy money really. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=websters+dictionary&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

we just located one of these in Grandmas basement.......not in great shape. We wonder what to do with it....its pretty cool with great inages. Leather looking cover with burlap cover. Binding looks restitched. some water damage. websters image is perfect 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Websters 1913 Dictionary of the english language. Do you think it could be conserved or restored? Would it add to value or hurt value?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

heres the real inside without goofing around on paint

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I like the burlap cover – adds character to the book. Book restoration can be pricey; I’m not an expert but I do not think it would be worth restoring judging from the photos you posted. Perhaps someone who is an expert will offer an opinion.

I started this thread, so I thought I’d update on what I did with the dictionary. It sat on my book shelf for a couple years. I don’t sell online anymore – I don’t sell much at all anywhere anymore, actually, as for me it’s more fun to collect books than it is to sell them – so eventually I ended up taking it to the flea market. I put $75 on it and someone offered me $50. I took the $50. This outdoor flea market (open year round, even in the middle of the snowy winter) is mostly antiques and collectables. Books can sell okay there if you have something good.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply