cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay encourages spammer and scammers.

Ever been to Ikea? Even if all you wanted was a pillow, you still have to go through the whole entire store and look at everything before you check out. That's like eBay. When the last time you typed something in the ssearch bar and got the results you wanted?

Try me. Go type Apple Watch Edition into the title and sort by lowest price, and select the category for Smart Watches see what happens...

*********SPOLER ALERT!********

THE FIRST 10,000 RESULTS ARE BANDS, CHARGERS AND ACCESSORIES.

Nevermind that there's a dedicated category for Smart Watch Accessories and a sub-category inside that category for Smart Watch Bands, no all this stuff can just go inside the Smart Watch category.

So after scrolling through 15 pages, you find one that says "APPLE WATCH SERIES 3 42MM NEW IN BOX!" for $250. This is it, you've finally found it- the Watch you've been looking for to complete your Christmas shopping! grinning Of course when you click the link, The only thing for $250 is a 38mm Series 1 model. disappointed_relieved (the 42mm version is $50 more)  And when you select the Series 3 model from the menu, THE PRICE GOES UP TO $389!

It's too bad eBay litterally does NOTHING when you report items.  And since eBay gave sellers the ability to bait and switch, we can assume it's encouraged. But it's OK, I have another hour to spend looking at watch accessories.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

This stupid and annoying stuff happens with most Searches on eBay anymore...

"new & improved" eBay, while other venues are constantly making positive improvements to the "buyer experience", eBay seems determined to irritate & alienate Buyers.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

How’re you doing labs? We haven’t seen much of you lately. 😀
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Hi, Patricia.

Thanks for asking.

I'm finally feeling pretty good, now.

Had a tough battle with Breast Cancer this year, surgery, radiation, five months of multiple respiratory complications; also Thyroid issues, and, needed an increase in my Cardiac meds due to daily angina episodes... still alive !

Am on the mend now, and gaining strength every day.

Not doing much with eBay anymore, feeling pretty disgusted with them...

We've been finding that Etsy & Amazon & several local shops are a great combination for us.
How are you doing these days ?
Since we're no longer selling on eBay, don't often get onto the Boards, and hve really lost track of the awesome group of "old-timers" here.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

i rarely buy on ebay anymore because of this. first, i cant find what i want and second, the manipulation is just insulting. thousands of items clearly in wrong category. if it isnt what i was looking for, why put it there? am i suddenly going to decide to buy your gadget instead? sometimes i give up looking and buy from another site, other times i leave because i am upset ebay allows it! 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@nocr,

There is a simple ways to get rid of the bands and other accessories.  DO NOT SHOP BY PRICE: LOWEST...

If that is your default search on the results page set the price option, to A low price that is much higher than the accessories.  I just did the search and came up with only 77 results, It would be many fewer if I checked the color/style options.

It is not hard to apply more brain power to eBay's searches, than the people who created it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I am always surprised how some have been on Ebay for that long and still do not know how to search. Maybe they should just buy at a store when they are that unhappy with searches and everything they buy here.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

That's what many people DO. Shop at a store or another website that is simpler to use. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Search by Highest Price plus Shipping First.

EASY.png

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I am always surprised how some have been on Ebay for that long and still do not know how to search. Maybe they should just buy at a store when they are that unhappy with searches and everything they buy here.

most of my online purchases are now made on other sites. as a buyer, it just isnt worth the trouble anymore!  shopping on ebay is not a hobby for me, i need an item so i buy it, thats all! I am sure plenty of others that once did online shopping here have left too.  a question for the sellers; how would you compare todays buyers to the ones a few years ago?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@jrinam

I guess it is just me but I find anything and everything I want with no hassles at all. In fact, ebay has one of the easiest searches I shop on. It sounds like you are doing the right thing since you cannot navigate ebay and instead shopping at stores.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@jrinam

I guess it is just me but I find anything and everything I want with no hassles at all. In fact, ebay has one of the easiest searches I shop on. It sounds like you are doing the right thing since you cannot navigate ebay and instead shopping at stores.

must be! being able to navigate and willing are two different things. almost daily, there are posts about searches flooded with unrelated items or scams. it is an issue to many! my typical search would be for a car part. regardless how i word my search or narrow the perameters, it is still flooded with unrelated items and often eliminates the part i am wanting. if i dont know the price, i have to check advance auto for aprox. cost and narrow search by price. checking rock auto gives me a part number that usually nets a few ebay listings but excludes many others. all of the legwork 'might' save me a buck or two. easier to just buy it where i can find it.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Agreed. I guess this poster thinks that not wanting to sift through piles of garbage to get to the items you are looking for makes you uintelligent when it's actually the other way around.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I was looking for a particular title a couple of days ago and Searched AZ and eBay.

EBay was able to show me a picture of the book (or stated it was a stock photo). The seller's feedback was easy to find. And prices +shipping were also clear.

AZ was vague about important details like hardcover/ hardcover no dust jacket / paperback. There was no noticeable indication of the trustworthiness of the seller. And while prices were in the same ballpark as eBay, shipping to Canada was usually higher.

Also, AZ still hasn't refunded me for an INR last January. The dispute system is opaque.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply