cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

@scuy wrote:

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks?

When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Because .......   FB is ................................................................  VOLUNTARY.

The transaction does not end upon payment.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 119
latest reply

@scuy,

You should have looked up topics on feedback and read the answers on those. There are about 10,000 of them on these boards.

The short answer is Feedback is voluntary, and no member is entitled to receive it, or has to leave it. 

Many sellers do not leave feedback on receiving payment because, most of the things a buyer can do that will hurt a seller, can only happen after they have paid. 

Paying is mandatory after all. 

Some sellers leave feedback immediately, others in batches when they feel like it, and others wait until a buyer indicates they are happy either with a message or by leaving feedback, and ebay does not care how or when they do it, or if they do it at all.

Members who buy only will have a 100% positive rating, even the nonpayers, and scammers, so buyer feedback actually means nothing, other than being a transaction count. Buyers are judged based on the feedback they leave other sellers because of that.

I don't know about you, but I buy on ebay to receive items, not to receive meaningless pats on the back from strangers. 

As a seller i tried leaving feeback as soon as I was paid, and received feedback in return about 60% of the time. Once I switched to leaving it after receiving it, or after the 30 day dispute limit, I get about 90% return feedback. 

Let the roller coaster ride begin

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 119
latest reply

Payment means you're a good buyer?  It just means you paid for an item you said you would.

I didn't realize feedback was to acknowledge monies received.  I thought it was about the transaction as a whole.

Message 4 of 119
latest reply

@scuy wrote:

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

You need to let go of your "expectations" - feedback is voluntary.  Your "payment" is an obligation.  It doesn't matter what you do as a seller - and it's unrealistic to "expect" others to do as you do. 

Besides, the feedback you receive as a buyer is meaningless.  ALL buyers have 100% since sellers can only leave positive feedback.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 5 of 119
latest reply

Every seller is different.  Some sellers leave immediate feedback after payment.  Some sellers leave feedback after you leave feedback.  Some don't leave it at all.  I personally leave feedback directly after I ship.  Not for any particular reason beyond it is most convenient for me.  Feedback is voluntary as several have mentioned, and honestly these days it doesn't really mean much.  That being said, every seller has had experiences that evolve how they handle their business.  I've learned that buyers like feedback, and that it doesn't effect me in anyway, and even if a transaction goes south it still doesnt effect anything.

Message 6 of 119
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Payment means you're a good buyer?  It just means you paid for an item you said you would.

I didn't realize feedback was to acknowledge monies received.  I thought it was about the transaction as a whole.

@scuy,

lintbrush* is absolutely right. Keep selling and leaving feedback at payment, then tell us how you feel when the shipper delayed or damaged the item you sent, or because the buyer didn't like the shipping cost, or wanted to return an item because of buyer's remorse, or they are not happy because you use styro peanuts as packing material, and they leave you a neg, that ebay will not remove. 

eBay used to have it right many years ago, when they used to say the buyer is the one who signals if a transaction went well, by leaving feedback.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 119
latest reply

As a seller I don't consider a transaction complete until the buyer lets me know that they have received the item AND accept it.

How does a buyer do that?

By giving me positive feedback.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 8 of 119
latest reply

If you want it - you can ask the seller their personal business policy before you buy if it is not mentioned in the ad.  Otherwise - if you want it - you leave it first - preferably when you get the item and inspect it. If it is not right, then contact the seller.  One has 60 days to VOLUNTARILY leave comments.  It is a buyer's responsibility to pay for what is purchased - and quickly; and doing so does not mean the buyer has earned a gold star.  You sell, leave fb first a few times and you will see what we all are trying to convey to you.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 9 of 119
latest reply

Are you buying feedback or items?
Message 10 of 119
latest reply

@scuy wrote:

Your feedback record:

63 received

54 left

Priceless.

Message 11 of 119
latest reply

Do you expect a "pat on the back" for paying when you leave the grocery store, a restaurant, Wal-Mart, etc?  Let's have a round of applause....this guy just paid for what he bought!!! Woo Hoo!!!  lol.  Seriously now, paying is an obligation, not an accomplishment.  That being said, I do leave feedback for my buyers when I ship...this is most convenient for me and has worked out quite well.  P.S.  I'm very lucky, I have GREAT buyers.

Message 12 of 119
latest reply

Because for the seller the transaction ends not when you pay, but when the return windows lapses.

Message 13 of 119
latest reply

Probably for he same reason most buyers don't leave feedback. When buyers don't leave feedback this really is hard on good sellers as Ebay bases it's defects for sellers on the number of feedbacks received and not the number of item sold.
Message 14 of 119
latest reply

@ryanrobyn wrote:
Probably for he same reason most buyers don't leave feedback. When buyers don't leave feedback this really is hard on good sellers as Ebay bases it's defects for sellers on the number of feedbacks received and not the number of item sold.

Wrong. And easy to disprove by actually looking at your Dashboard.

Message 15 of 119
latest reply