cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I being forced to buy from foreign sellers?

I needed a caliper to do some fine measurements and as part of my search I filtered to US Sellers ONLY. Not because I have anything against foreign sellers but simply because I don't want to have to wait an excessive length of time for delivery.

So, I found one at a good price and under Item Location it said NE United States. I hit the BIN and paid for it. This morning I received an email informing me that it had been shipped. With an estimated delivery of April 28th...?!? Twenty Four Days to get to Arkansas from Nebraska? Pony Express on a dead horse would get it here sooner...

So I had another look at the listing and under Seller Information it says that the seller is located in China. I specified US Sellers only because I didn't want to have to wait more than a week. It's not a matter of simply being impatient; I need this caliper for my job ASAP. So, why is it that the item location is in Nebraska (which, I'm guessing, is why it filtered as a US Seller) but the seller is actually in China?

Either this is an unforeseen loophole that foreign sellers have found that they can use to their advantage or it's OK with eBay because they only care about sales being made and not about customer satisfaction. Because it's now way too late to cancel the transaction I find myself, like it or not, having to wait 24 days for my merchandise to arrive when, if the listing had been honest, I could have avoided it and shopped with an honest seller. Sure, I could go and find and buy another one and then return the Chinese one on the basis of what? That the seller lied about their location? But, why should I have to do anything? Why can't I just specify what I'm looking for and that's exactly what I find (or not)?

In other words, why should I be forced to buy from a foreign seller when I'm supposed to have a choice?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Choosing US only does not filter out Chinese sellers, as you found out.  The item location may show US, but as you found out, when you check the seller profile pre purchase, it will tell you where the seller is based or registered.  This needs to be checked pre purchase, because inexplicably the item, although showing a location in the US, may ship from China.

The estimated delivery timeframe usually shows on the listing pre purchase.

That way, if you don't like the ETA, you can just hit the back button.  You still have a choice, they don't force you to buy from a foreign seller.   It is frustrating, I know, but just take a few more seconds to do your buyer's due diligence.

Sorry you will have a delivery delay.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

The estimated delivery in the listing was April 12th...

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@nationalpawnshopwrote:

The estimated delivery in the listing was April 12th...

The Chinese have a few wearehouse's in the US they use to ship orders.

The seller might be in China, but the item could be located in the US.

If the listing gave you an estimated delivery date of 4/12/18 and you don't have it by 4/13/18, go to the Resolution Center and file an INR.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I do know what follow up options are open to me but my point is that a simple purchase should not have to become anything more than that just because eBay feels the need to be ultra accomodating to foreign sellers. I don't know, maybe I'm old-school in thinking that honesty still matters...

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

agreed with castle-------,  always "go the x-tra mile" by checking the sellers profile B4 you complete the transaction......good luck!

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Probably a dropshipper.  Ask to cancel because you cant wait.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Thats right you shouldnt have to.  Best regards

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Unfortunately, Ebay not only encourages this, they help the sellers get set up with US warehouses.

Always check the delivery dates, and always check feedback. You can usually figure out if they are really in the USA by doing those two things.

If you don't have that package by the last date listed for delivery, just file item not received through the Resolution Center and get your money back.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Then why did you describe being "forced to wait til April 28th"? I don't get it.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

I just recieved a shipment from Amazon I ordered on Ebay.   I don't shop on Amazon on purpose.

This entire online bait and switch is getting to be to much.   I don't like dishonesty.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@scoutingranchwrote:

I just recieved a shipment from Amazon I ordered on Ebay.   I don't shop on Amazon on purpose.

This entire online bait and switch is getting to be to much.   I don't like dishonesty.

What does this have to do with overseas sellers?

https://bio.link/langs
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

It's bait and switch...............get it?   It's a scam and it's dishonest

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

It's not bait and switch. You got what you wanted when you wanted it. The only reason I can imagine you being upset about that is xenophobia about Chinese sellers. News flash: chances are good that whatever you bought was made in China anyway.
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

This is called drop shipping and it's allowed. Always check the delivery dates.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply