cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller asking for more money for shipping after I paid

I bought something off eBay that had $12 shipping. A few days after paying, the seller messaged me saying that they had messed up the shipping charge and that it was going to cost $60 to ship out. The offered to split the difference, and wanted me to pay $25 extra than I had already paid.  They said that eBay said they can send a second invoice for the increased shipping charge.  Is that true?

The eBay Money Back Gurantee states that buyers are only covered if "The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with PayPal Credit)." So I feel if I pay extra for shipping I would no longer be protected.

How could a UPS Ground shipment cost so much to ship out?  The product only weighs around 7 lbs and is around 12*7*14 inches in volume.

What's the best course of action?  I'd prefer getting the item to getting a refund, but I don't want to risk the ~$500 that I paid.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have run into instances where, if the shipment is leaving the CONUS (or even sometimes just going to the other side of the country), shipping via UPS or FedEx becomes outrageous. That being said, the seller is not allowed by ebay rules to ask for more shipping after the fact. Despite that, no one can force your seller to ship. Perhaps the seller (if they aren't a big box store online) would be willing to see if it could fit into a USPS flat rate board game box?

There is no good, easy solution to this. If you don't give them more shipping money, and the seller is willing to take the ding for not shipping, you will likely eventually get your $500 back.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@falconsandwich wrote:

How could a UPS Ground shipment cost so much to ship out?  The product only weighs around 7 lbs and is around 12*7*14 inches in volume.

It can't, unless it's going overnight, as far as I know. They probably tacked on insurance, but still, $60? The seller can send you a second invoice through PayPal, not eBay; you will have no eBay protection for the additional amount.

Is this supposed to be a UPS ground shipment? Go to the UPS site, plug in the size, weight, and zip codes, and you can see what it should cost.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I have run into instances where, if the shipment is leaving the CONUS (or even sometimes just going to the other side of the country), shipping via UPS or FedEx becomes outrageous. That being said, the seller is not allowed by ebay rules to ask for more shipping after the fact. Despite that, no one can force your seller to ship. Perhaps the seller (if they aren't a big box store online) would be willing to see if it could fit into a USPS flat rate board game box?

There is no good, easy solution to this. If you don't give them more shipping money, and the seller is willing to take the ding for not shipping, you will likely eventually get your $500 back.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There are dimensional shipping charges that come into play; I think most carriers follow this policy now.  Looking at the mesurements, you listed, it could just come under this.  Simple rule is anything that the height, length, and width added together is more than 32 inches, but it could be more than that.  I can't recall if it is over that or not.  

Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

A seller is not permitted to ask for more funds post sale, whether for item or for shipping.

You could start with a polite message to the seller stating that a seller is not allowed to ask for more funds post sale, per ebay rules, and that you would like them to ship your item since you have already paid.   They are welcome to verify these rules.  Then wait for a response.  If they don't send it and it is past the last date in the estimated delivery timeframe, you file an item not received case  in the Resolution Center to get your refund.

eBay can't force the seller to ship, however, and you could lose your item, but you may be able to find another.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

There are dimensional shipping charges that come into play; I think most carriers follow this policy now.  Looking at the mesurements, you listed, it could just come under this.  Simple rule is anything that the height, length, and width added together is more than 32 inches, but it could be more than that.  I can't recall if it is over that or not.  

A seller is not permitted to ask for more funds post sale, whether for item or for shipping.

You could start with a polite message to the seller stating that a seller is not allowed to ask for more funds post sale, per ebay rules, and that you would like them to ship your item since you have already paid.   They are welcome to verify these rules.  Then wait for a response.  If they don't send it and it is past the last date in the estimated delivery timeframe, you file an item not received case  in the Resolution Center to get your refund.

eBay can't force the seller to ship, however, and you could lose your item, but you may be able to find another.  

The stated dimensions are nowhere close to the UPS dimensional weight "penalty" (when length plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches.). I can ship a 20x24x6,  7lb package via UPS for as little as $12 depending on distance.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for all of the replies. The seller checked again at UPS and was able to get my item shipped out at $43. They decided to do the right thing and eat the extra shipping cost.  Yay.

Is there a way to close this question?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You can report your thread by clicking on the three dots at the top right of your post, choose last option, report inappropriate content, type in box that comes up, I am the original OP and would like this thread to be closed at my request.  Click notify the moderator under this, they will lock this thread.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

The stated dimensions are nowhere close to the UPS dimensional weight "penalty" (when length plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches.). I can ship a 20x24x6,  7lb package via UPS for as little as $12 depending on distance.

@thatsallfolks

Thanks for the info!  I am not that familar with the dimensional shipping, just know that when ship costs are high, that could be a factor.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Only way they can increase the shipping charge and invoice you is directly via PayPal. It is against Ebay rules to send invoice again with increased shipping. If the seller does please call Ebay and complain about seller. After selling for 15 years I know that sometimes we just eat the difference. I would tell them to send immediately and if they cancel the sale they will be charged a defect.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I'm reading this post because today, as a seller, I got an estimate from UPS of over $100 to ship several delicate items packaged together in a large box from Arkansas to NY, and I was wondering what my options were. I never dreamed that shipping could cost this much, but indeed it does.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

How large are the individual items? Would it be cheaper to ship them separately?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

All carriers, including UPS and USPS, have dimensional rates for large packages.  As noted in the other post, it might be cheaper to ship the items separately.    

Message 12 of 12
latest reply