cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Related Items in Search Results!

Has anybody noticed all of the non related items being mixed in with the search results?

For example if I type (vintage star wars) in the search bar, aprox 57,000 results will show. The problem is, while I am scrolling down to view these items, every 10 or so results will show something completely non related, like a coffee mug, a vase, or a lamp. This stuff is being thrown in there to hopefully make me buy it. If I wanted to buy this **bleep** I would have entered it in the search bar instead of vintage star wars.  This is very irritating . The search bar may as well look like this, ___vintage_star_wars___,and_a_bunch_of_other_crap_you_don't_want. With as many new buying and selling venues that are out there, ebay needs to fix this before the make a bunch of people like me mad enough to leave for good. If this is irritating you as well, let ebay know by clicking on the (tell us what you think) link at the bottom of the page you were searching on. Take care!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I don't think this is a glitch; I think this is by design.

They throw in some unrelated items that you might possibly be interested in.

However, it could also be Cassini not interpreting the search properly.  

I have searched for santa figure and it brought up Victoria's Secret.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@hollys-awesome-shop,

A search as general as "Vintage Star Wars" is going to return all sorts of unrelated  results, the search engine will let in new items along with actual vintage ones.  You may have to be more specific in your searches,

"Vintage Kenner Star Wars action figures 1977...   Vintage star wars POTF action figures 1998...  Vintage star wars X-wing fighter etc, ... ". 

If you are looking for items related to a specific movie, type in the movie release year add the title if unrelated movie items show up.  Add the manufacturer's name, For special series like Power Of The Force add POTF to the search.  Also search in the Toys & Hobbies category Not using All Categories.

Good luck

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have been doing this search for years, and this has never been a problem. I type in vintage star wars because some people do not add kenner or figures to their titles, and I will miss those items. At first I thought that these non related items might have the same key words in the title, and that is why I was seeing them. Such as, (vintage) (war) time coffee mug with (stars), this would make sense, but they do not have any of these key words, they are 100% non related. This is an actual item from the search, (coffee mug cup CATTLE BARON'S BALL 2001 Waco TX Hamilton MD Neurosurgery vtg. Lets be honest, this has nothing to do with vintage star wars. The truth is, some jerk on the elevated ebay team thought, these people don't know what they want, so lets suggest random items in the search results, and try to extract even more money from them. I should be buying vintage star wars figures right now, not complaining about pointless items that I do not want to buy.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The other problem is that ebay can't seem to wrap their head around a search default of 'all words, any order'. They just keep on using 'any word, anywhere'.

What amuses me more is the suggestions I get - if you like this Star Wars figure then you'll love this random car part.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

wasnt always like this. the days of randomly shopping in a catagory are gone! there are way too many items that dont fit the catagory, some not even close. in the past, i would use my saved searches to browse items without a need for anything in particular, i bought plenty that way. now, if i even buy it here, i need to know EXACTLY what i want and still get unrelated items and variable price listings! 'IF' you know exactly what you want, google it, their search works! get a item or part # to add to your search. if buying new, check a few venders and narrow your price range. ebay can usually beat that price so start lower and why bother going higher since you already found it elseware! maybe you would have better luck if you gave up on star wars and started collecting cheap chinese gadgets?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply