cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KUDOS to EBAY!

I just want to say KUDOS to EBAY for a job well done. I ran across a bid on a ring the other night with 25 seconds left. Seeing the ring, read a quick descption and tossed in what I assume would be a losing bid of 50 bucks for a ring that should have been valued at around 15 grand. I won and then went to pay and saw the past comments of this sellers last 3 sales, and a few from eariler. They all claimed fraud and fake goods. So I drug my heels paying and watched this guy sell about a dozen or more of these"Antique, 18k solid gold with gems and 2ctw plus of real diamond rings". Another past buyer left rep claiming the same as the others. I asked to have the bid withdrawn and was refused and he demanded payment. I decided to go to Resolution center, and after a long chat with a great guy, they shut this conman down within a few hours after investigating. If we stick together, report this **bleep** instead of taking it, good things can and do happen. So, thank you EBAY for the quick response and saving more grief for buyers. WELL DONE!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

KUDOS to EBAY!

How about reporting instead of bidding and wasting the “great guy’s” time?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

@thatsallfolks wrote:

I think the OP just stated that he did report this. And the great guy is there to assist. That is what they are paid for, to help ebay sellers and buyers.

How is it a waste of time to help shut this fraudster down? Is the OP supposed to do it himself? No, he needs the support of the GREAT GUYS AND GALS at ebay Customer Service. 

How else can it be done? 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

I did report him as did a few other of his other customer/victims. If its a waste of time saving people money and grief then I guess Im all for it. He was being paid to do his job, assiting customers, so how is that "wasting " anyones time? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

@rockbottomvalues wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

I think the OP just stated that he did report this. And the great guy is there to assist. That is what they are paid for, to help ebay sellers and buyers.

How is it a waste of time to help shut this fraudster down? Is the OP supposed to do it himself? No, he needs the support of the GREAT GUYS AND GALS at ebay Customer Service. 

How else can it be done? 

No one said it was a waste of time to shut the fraudster down. The method chosen by the OP is about as inefficient/wasteful as it could be.

How else can it be done?

1) Don't buy from the obvious scam, "too good to be true" listing.

2) Instead, click the "Report" button; that way, you don't spend a long time on the phone tying up a resource.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

@david44057 wrote:

I just want to say KUDOS to EBAY for a job well done. I ran across a bid on a ring the other night with 25 seconds left. Seeing the ring, read a quick descption and tossed in what I assume would be a losing bid of 50 bucks for a ring that should have been valued at around 15 grand. I won and then went to pay and saw the past comments of this sellers last 3 sales, and a few from eariler. They all claimed fraud and fake goods. So I drug my heels paying and watched this guy sell about a dozen or more of these"Antique, 18k solid gold with gems and 2ctw plus of real diamond rings". Another past buyer left rep claiming the same as the others. I asked to have the bid withdrawn and was refused and he demanded payment. I decided to go to Resolution center, and after a long chat with a great guy, they shut this conman down within a few hours after investigating. If we stick together, report this **bleep** instead of taking it, good things can and do happen. So, thank you EBAY for the quick response and saving more grief for buyers. WELL DONE!

I'm glad you are pleased and are giving Ebay credit but...

Don't search ending soonest if you can't do your proper buyer's due diligence before you decide to bid/purchase.   As you see, doing it afterwards doesn't help you, and you got into a bad situation because you didn't bother to check feedback.

A cancellation is a request, not a demand or an order.  Seller can accept or decline your request and Ebay gives him three days to make that decision.

Too many cancellations and you can find your buying restricted.  Pretend there is no such thing as a cancellation; they should be rarely if ever used.

Posters are saying the call was a waste of time because a long chat tied up that rep when he might have been helping others.  There is a report this item link on listings, it is located on the right side just above the description.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

@rockbottomvalues wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

How else can it be done? 

By using the report this item link that is on the listing~that is what it is there for.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

Too good to be true often is just that.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

It shouldn't come down to this. It's ridiculous there are so many lying sellers here!

Another dirtbag who has obviously chased many good buyers away! OP, thank you for taking the time to report and get this scammer off the site. It amazes me that other responders criticize you for bidding. A buyer should be able to believe what is stated in a listing. As is typical, others instead attack the person who came here to announce something positive coming out of a reported issue. So many posters complain that ebay doesn't do anything, and when they do, they still complain! Unbelievable!!
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

No one here has complained about Ebay removing a scammer.  No one here "attacked" the OP~however they did point out suggestions as to how OP can correct the problems.  But often any mere hint that an OP could have handled something better is interpreted as "attacking" that OP, no matter how true and gentle the comments may be.

They have pointed out that the OP could have reported by other means rather than a "LONG CHAT" with a great guy.

And they pointed out that had the OP did his due diligence BEFORE he bought, he would not have had this problem.  A buyer should be doing their due diligence before purchasing so they don't purchase from a scammer.  If it weren't profitable for them to list, if people didn't rush to buy without checking the seller, then maybe those scammers would stop listing due to lack of business.

Just a thought.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

KUDOS to EBAY!

@thatsallfolks wrote:

Because reporting a listing does NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. I've reported many fraudulent listings. Listings that were clearly fraudulent - for example, the title said "sterling silver" but the item, a late-20th-century item manufactured by a well-known American flatware manufacturer, wasn't stamped "sterling" or "925" according to full front and back photos, or was stamped A1 or other silverplate mark. 

I even reported a seller who was using my listings to run his own auctions at the same time as mine (including my photos, on which he faked his own timestamp as if they were his). I know he was planning to sell my stuff and then low-ball make an offer to me after his auction because he had already made inquiries from me, and nobody else was selling the exact same thing. He did the same thing to several other sellers I knew. Ebay did nothing.

The OP did the only thing that makes ebay pay attention.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply