cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Wondering What has Happened?

So as you can tell from stats I'm by no means a solid eBayer as many of the fine Merchants and Buyers are out there. I'm just asking an ...opinionated.. question, or maybe I'm just whining.  I'm not sure if it's because the population has gotten so massive, it's a beast that can no longer be controlled or just an infectious plague of greed. I remember when you could come to eBay and find some insane deals and some hidden treasures as well, with no more than 1hr or so of effort in looking. Now while I'm not a mover and a shaker, I do have a list, as I'm sure many of us do. Maybe not, maybe it's just me..lol. Anywho, I decided to write this, because I guess, maybe a little  over a year's time; I can't seem to spend more than 15 minutes here, before I'm shaking my head and looking at the cat, asking, 'What the hell is wrong with these folks?' It seems the insane deal or that hidden gem has been sprinkled by the evil markup fairey. I put in a search and then look over 2 or 3 pages of items that are marked up a few dollars or even a few hundred dollars more than I could get the item 'new' from Amazon and in 2 days. I know there are some folks who make a living from their stores, and this isn't directed to you by any means. If you have a store and had it for years with a gold star and confetti around it for positive ratings, then that tells me you've probably been doing it right since day one. This is maybe more so, for the newer influx of sellers. Those who ask $800 for a used graphics tablet, with minor scratches on the surface. Uh, ma'am or sir, graphics tablets are mainly used by artists, who sometimes like to draw on that minor scratched surface. Yea, that area to the right, that keeps snagging the nib and transferring to the artwork. So if a new one costs $600, the fact yours is used and has scratches doesn't make it a $200 markup Limited Edition tablet.  This is why I ask questions of my cat. I mean is eBay silently advertising for Amazon, or possibly putting a sparkle back in the eyes of a new and upcoming online Auction House? Maybe it's simply a case of the  5 year projected business plan, did profit 100 fold and no one cares, because their grandchildren will still be cashing in. In that kind of perspective, I guess who could argue. I still got the love for ya eBay. Just wondering what has happened?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I remember reading one seller explain, that he doesn 't care if his buyer gets a good deal, because the worst the deal is for his buyer, the better the deal for him.

You still do find some grossly overpriced treasures.

Best to research item prices before committing to buy.

Don't wait too long to buy

An item price on ebay will sometimes increase when a item fails to sell after being listed over an extended period of time at a lower price. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Your cat sounds very wise!  I've been saying all of this for a week and everyones attacking me, but you have a much more elegant way of expressing it so you may have a different experience.  

Ebay has always been an odd place to buy and sell.  Years ago I decided to sell my dvd collection (back when dvds were still popular).  I started the bidding at a dollar and every single one of them sold for retail prices.  In some cases after shipping the price of my auction was higher than buying a brand new wrapped dvd!  As a seller I was very happy, but I never understood it.

The Ebay that I see now has been over run by comercial sellers.  No more is it the online garage sale, now it's like walking into a mall.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

When potential buyers bid an auction price higher than new-item retail price as mentioned by @ilikestuff6969, that is their choice.  However, when a seller sets a price for a used/damaged item higher than new-item price as mentioned by @shayne_777, that is purely the seller’s greed and/or dishonesty.  

It always disappoints me when I find listings for which the Buy It Now price is outrageously high, especially when the item is displayed/described in problematic (and definitely not new) condition, but referred to as being vintage or a limited edition.  I always hope that no one buys these items as I do not like it when anyone is cheated.  Sadly, some listings are presented in a manner in which a buyer may not know that she/he is being cheated.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

Sadly, some listings are presented in a manner in which a buyer may not know that she/he is being cheated.  

Exactly, & it does work frequently.

Buyer never knows or finds out when it is already too late.

Dishonesty has it's rewards

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

When potential buyers bid an auction price higher than new-item retail price as mentioned by @ilikestuff6969, that is their choice.  However, when a seller sets a price for a used/damaged item higher than new-item price as mentioned by @shayne_777, that is purely the seller’s greed and/or dishonesty.  

It always disappoints me when I find listings for which the Buy It Now price is outrageously high, especially when the item is displayed/described in problematic (and definitely not new) condition, but referred to as being vintage or a limited edition.  I always hope that no one buys these items as I do not like it when anyone is cheated.  Sadly, some listings are presented in a manner in which a buyer may not know that she/he is being cheated.  

it is the watering down of ebay! while a seller can ask whatever he wants and a buyer can chose to buy or walk away, it definately takes awy from the ebay experience. to constantly have sellers attempting to con me is insulting. so i caught it in time, so what. it still detracts from my shopping experience.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply