cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it violate policy in order to offer the higher price to the winning bidder after the auction?

I really want the item. Is it possible to do such thing without violating ebay policy?

Thanks

Kan

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is it violate policy in order to offer the higher price to the winning bidder after the auction?

If I'm right about what you have in mind, stuff like that is one of the reasons that eBay started hiding bidders' IDs from other bidders. It's not cool to do it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Huh?

Are you saying that you lost (or if you lose) that you want to contact the higher bidder (the winner) and offer them more money for the item?

If that is what you are saying, there is NO WAY for you to contact the winner.

With the hidden user name system in bidding, you can not get their user ID to snd them a message.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

What about asking through the seller?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If I'm right about what you have in mind, stuff like that is one of the reasons that eBay started hiding bidders' IDs from other bidders. It's not cool to do it.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks so much, so I'll decide not to do it then.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@th2014-danvi wrote:
What about asking through the seller?

If I received a request like that, I would ignore it. I don't want to open my buyers to harrassment.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If you really really want it then

(1) Bid the absolute most you can afford

(2) DO NOT bid  while the auction is running.

(3) DO NOT BID until the last 10 seconds - do it yourself or use a sniping service

BTW run a search for that item

Then go to the left side of the page and scroll down to "Show only" and click on sold

That will give you all the results for about 3 months.  You can go up to the Sort function and set it to show the highest price or the lowest price for which it sold

And that will tell you what it will take to get the item

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Next time, place a bid. You can place a maximum bid that you would be comfortable paying, and the bidding will go up to that amount if others place competing bids, automatically. If there are no other competing bids, or if competing bids do not reach your maximum amount, your automatic bid would be just above the highest competing bids.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Horrible advice to tell a bidder to put in an Ebay automatic bid.

It let's nibble bidders etc poke at his bid and drive it up

Much better strategy to NEVER BID until the last few seconds

I have bought over 1000 things on Ebay over 15 years. I win 99.99999999% of the time - including on cars and expensive antiques.

Never tip your hand and let other bidders pok at your bid to see how high it is.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I remember the days when this was possible and ID's weren't hidden. My wife won a nice piece of pottery about 10 years ago (or more) for about $50. Almost immediately a lady started messaging us with offers saying she was going to bid big but had gotten stuck in traffic on the way home from work and missed the end of the auction. Everytime my wife turned her down she offered another $25 on top of her last offer. She didn't give up until my wife turned down $250. I can see the piece of pottery from where I'm sitting right now.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply