cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bid. I won. I paid. Then the seller canceled the order!

I bid. I won. I paid expediently (as always)! TWICE in TWO weeks with TWO different sellers, my auction transactions were canceled (and money was refunded) BY the SELLERS the day after the sale with NO message or reasoning provided! And, get this, because the sellers canceled the transactions,  I was not able to leave feedback.  I won both auctions on the opening bid, so it is obvious the sellers weren't willing to complete the transactions because they were losing money.  Seller cancelations must be a new, and deceitful benefit to listing items on auction without paying reserve fees. 

What has eBay come to? There was a time when I had a store on eBay, and as a seller, I HAD to complete transactions, even if it meant losing money.  As I seller, I was never able to cancel an order.  If I made an inventory mistake, I had to refund the money and take the negative feedback from a disappointed customer. What's the point of using the auction platform? 

Oh, and as a buyer, there is absolutely NO way to chat or email with an eBay customer support person. There is a 20 minute phone wait.  It's time to forget all about eBay and turn to their competitors! 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You can leave feedback for the sellers here https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/leave_feedback?

unless they used “buyer requested” or “problem with buyers address” as the cancellation reason, there is no reason to chat with eBay. The seller self-reported and received a defect (strike) on their account. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I find it interesting that when a buyer wants to cancel, it's a "request" that has to be accepted/approved by the seller. When a seller wants cancel, however, it's an automatic cancellation--no acceptance or approval allowed by the buyer. Yeah, maybe the seller takes a hit (depending), but they can still cancel, where a buyer can't.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@chekchick wrote:

I bid. I won. I paid expediently (as always)! TWICE in TWO weeks with TWO different sellers, my auction transactions were canceled (and money was refunded) BY the SELLERS the day after the sale with NO message or reasoning provided! And, get this, because the sellers canceled the transactions,  I was not able to leave feedback.  I won both auctions on the opening bid, so it is obvious the sellers weren't willing to complete the transactions because they were losing money.  Seller cancelations must be a new, and deceitful benefit to listing items on auction without paying reserve fees. 

What has eBay come to? There was a time when I had a store on eBay, and as a seller, I HAD to complete transactions, even if it meant losing money.  As I seller, I was never able to cancel an order.  If I made an inventory mistake, I had to refund the money and take the negative feedback from a disappointed customer. What's the point of using the auction platform? 

Oh, and as a buyer, there is absolutely NO way to chat or email with an eBay customer support person. There is a 20 minute phone wait.  It's time to forget all about eBay and turn to their competitors! 

You need to investigate the reasons these sellers canceled the purchases.  If these sellers gave at the buyer’s request as the reason for the cancellations then you need to inform eBay Customer Service that this is not true.  Check the notifications that you received as some reasons (for example, item damaged, item out of stock, at request of buyer) should have been included.  

In addition, check the listings for these sellers to see if the items have been listed again.   If the notifications for the cancellations state the the transactions were canceled at the buyer’s request AND the items have been relisted then you should notifiy eBay Customer Service of this, especially if the starting price is higher or a Buy It Now price higher than your winning bid is included.   eBay does not condone seller’s cancellation of a transaction with at the buyer’s request as the FALSE reason.

By the way, it is worth a 20-minute or longer phone-wait on hold to report a dishonest seller.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

SMAB...

Well  It might be be worth a 20-minute phone call to  YOU.   But I     would  be willing to  spend that   much time.  Smiley Surprised

The way Ebay is now handling this  dishonest practice  is  a   disgrace.  

Just  driviing more good buyers away. 

This is so  bad for the health of  this entire Site! 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@garmentvarmint2004 wrote:

SMAB...

Well  It might be be worth a 20-minute phone call to  YOU.   But I     would  be willing to  spend that   much time.  Smiley Surprised

The way Ebay is now handling this  dishonest practice  is  a   disgrace.  

Just  driviing more good buyers away. 

This is so  bad for the health of  this entire Site! 

To me, it is worth the time as such a call can help to put an end to such dishonest practices — I have called in the past and will do so in the future when necessary.  

However, if a buyer who experienced sellers cancelling purchases for false reasons is not willing to take the time to tell eBay Customer Service about such problematic sellers then the dishonest practice is allowed to continue.  If you are not wiling to take the time to help the eBay Community, why complain about it?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
I find it interesting that when a buyer wants to cancel, it's a "request" that has to be accepted/approved by the seller. When a seller wants cancel, however, it's an automatic cancellation--no acceptance or approval allowed by the buyer. Yeah, maybe the seller takes a hit (depending), but they can still cancel, where a buyer can't.

There are far more reasons why a seller legitimately is unable to perform (shipping a particular item as described to the shipping address given by the buyer) than why a buyer would be unable to perform (pay some money and give a valid shipping address).  Buyers and sellers are not in the same positions so that there should be an equivilance on every issue.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

The obvious reason for that is because eBay doesn't know if the item is already shipped.  If a buyer could just cancel without approval buyers could potentially get free stuff.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

eBay doesn’t care if the seller has listed the items, it’s not something the OP needs to call about. All that is relevant is the reason for the cancellation-if the seller lied, it should be reported. But as far as relisting for more money, it’s not reportable and it’s not punishable. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Sorry you were disappointed like that.

It's not a new way to get out of paying a reserve fee.  The seller doesn't need to have a reserve, when they can just start the item at a price that would be acceptable to them if it only gets one bid.  Bidding wars are not as common as they were years ago, but some still start super low and then hope the activity will drive up the price.  Then they find they were wrong.  

Sometimes the CS waits can be much longer than 20 minutes.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

why because the buyer request cancel should not be able to be initiated until both parties are notified and approved upon..if they had the software programming correctly coded right

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I will always report a Seller cancelation for no reason also! I have only given 1 RED doughnut in My life and IT was for an illegal cancelation. The Seller tried to go through Pay Pal instead of eBay to cancel. They had a story that they couldn't find so canceled My order.

Ebay however sent me the You need to pay message so I paid for it again...So, Sellers that think they can just cancel an order without a reason and go through Pay Pal are wrong. eBay does not let up the on Buyer paying until they pay OR get a cancelation from the Seller.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Too many poor sellers are ruining this site!

They fail to fulfill a purchase because they foolishly posted via auction and didn't get enough money.

They fail to complete a sale because they don't know how to control their inventory and run out, obviously they have inventory spread over many sites and feel they shouldn't be held accountable or blame ebay when they oversell. Or they simply can't count.

They sell inventory they don't physically own nor have they inspected, via drop shipping and wonder why they have so many problems with returns.

They sell expired product without disclosure and against policy.

They improperly package and item is received damaged.

They ship when they feel like it.

And the list goes on.....Yes, there are problem buyers, but this site attracts them more than others because of all the problem sellers. You reap what you sow.

It's because of so many problem sellers ebay has been forced to implement the latest policies. Unfortunately the better sellers have to bear the unfair impact of these policies due to the sellers who don't give a hoot about what they send, how they send it or if they even send it at all! It's just like the slimy sellers who used shipping as a profit center and ruined it for everyone else with ebay deciding to charge fvf on entire sale. These same sellers abuse USPS supplies.

Today's society has become the most self absorbed I've ever seen! There is no respect for anyone else or anything they do. I know this is a generalizations, and there are obvious exceptions, but it's very sad to see.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:
Today's society has become the most self absorbed I've ever seen! There is no respect for anyone else or anything they do. I know this is a generalizations, 

Largely due to a failure to follow the Ten Commandments & the U S Constitution.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Except there is no easy way to report this—there are no categories for it. This has happened to me twice this week.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply