cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one report SELLER fraud when one has NOT had a transaction with the seller?

How does one report this type of "bait & switch" scam? If one has never purchased from the FRAUDULENT SELLER (and for good reason), how is the complaint handled? Who do we report SELLER fraud...not just one item, EVERY item the seller has available has fraud added as an interesting new irritant: everything from their SCREEN NAME - to their over-rated positive feedback - to their handy-dandy "50% OFF" sale which is perpetual (ALL prices are way too high for something you have no idea of what you are buying) - add the fact the item's manufacturer is NEVER mentioned...just implied - add photos which are NOT an actual representation of what one will actually receive - even the "negative" feedback is 'soft-pedaled' by the person leaving it AND always a follow up by the seller "make sure to read thoroughly" or some **bleep** like this - add the fact there is NO WAY to actually contact the seller because (you'll love this) "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing" ...which avoids the nasty bare-bones question of "who is this item made by?" which would then trap the seller into a 'concrete' picture...but of course this cannot be done because of the bait and switch!!

So I'll re-cap in case I lost anybody because this is so highly ridiculous that fraud of this magnitude would even be allowed in the 21st century. EVERYTHING about the seller is just as FAKE as their items sold! The screen name spans the entire field with every keyword blatantly included for a 100% guarantee this fraud will show up in almost every search for anything similar. They NEVER commit to an "actual" item description, they 'hedge' imply, hokey-pokey and turn them selves around etc. Photos are NOT the actual item, (other non-related photos are added to further distract the buyer). There is NO WAY to contact the seller to ask any questions which would legally tie them into an actual product. Naturally, this is a 'private' auction...which should be totally illegal...everyone has a right to know specifics - if one is so happy about that purchase, why don't they ever tell what they bought? Item 'tags' are so lengthy they take up their entire left hand margin with words so generic they are guaranteed to pull most buyers in that are looking for anything similar. EVERYTHING IS SO GROSSLY OVER-PRICED that I am embarrassed for them to be of such avarice! But...their saving grace to those "un-Godly prices" is a PERPETUAL sale where 50% off is the name of their kitschy-faux game! These prices in NO WAY reflect what the buyer will actually receive. There is NOTHING the buyer can do when they receive an item 'similar' to the one purchased especially when it is the same color and 'almost' like what was photographed with verbiage so generic the buyer has absolutely no recourse. The vague and generic descriptions make everything 'legal' for sellers with such a questionable sense of propriety. This is wrong as two left shoes and there is no way to report it to anyone who actually cares...no management interaction (if it is it's nondescript and austere enough to make one think they are somehow involved with the seller's shenanigans). Who and where does one go to report such to someone who actually is interested? There is no way to report COMPLETE fraud -  NOT To report a SINGLE item - BUT THE SELLER'S ENTIRETY?  EVERY ITEM and their deception.

eBay always wants us to believe they stand behind their word helping buyers - well PROVE IT! We want to know, not by providing snippy condescending snipes at questions with tactless response for that "on-screen-appeal" and no actual help. How do we report complete and total fraud? PLEASE don't tell me every page has a "report this item" or still better, please don't tell me to call customer service because these methods are about as helpful as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest! We need to know WHO makes things happen - or does anybody really care?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

How does one report SELLER fraud when one has NOT had a transaction with the seller?

spank999,

Nobody really cares. You happy now?

Godzilla_Goose

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If you get something that isn't as described, file an INAD case.
P iv
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Just remember a fool and their money is soon parted.  If the person can tell what it is, what they are getting and are still buying that is pretty much on the buyer.  When the buyer gets the fake item they report it and if enough people report the seller he or she will get booted.  If you can not see the item and it isnt in your hand I wouldnt mess with reporting them because they could potentially make your life a nightmare.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@mikeystoyz wrote:

Just remember a fool and their money is soon parted.  If the person can tell what it is, what they are getting and are still buying that is pretty much on the buyer.  When the buyer gets the fake item they report it and if enough people report the seller he or she will get booted.  If you can not see the item and it isnt in your hand I wouldnt mess with reporting them because they could potentially make your life a nightmare.

Mikey, they won't know who reported them, so they can't make your life a nightmare.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@mikeystoyz wrote:

Mikey, they won't know who reported them, so they can't make your life a nightmare.  

Unless they read these posts.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

THERE IS A BUTTON YU CAN CLICK ON THAT LISTING -WHICH IS 'REPORT THIS SELLER'

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@mikeystoyz wrote:
@mikeystoyz wrote:

Unless they read these posts.

Anything can happen, I suppose, but I think the possibility of that happening is extremely slim.  And the OP, of course, does not list any specific seller, which would be against Board Rules, and I am sure there is not just one seller who falls into this situation.  Possibly an over zealous seller out for vengeance might decide the OP was the one, but again, extremely slim chances.  But of course, an excess of caution such as you recommend can't hurt!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I totally agree ....eBay has NO support and YES I also believe and have dealt with FAKE sellers .
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

1.Sounds like your paths are crossing,  a lot?

What would be the most common item that puts this person in your path?

Widget?  Whatchamacallit?    Are you able to search for that item without coming across this

seller's auctions?   (Sounds like this would be a good place to use a block seller app)

2.Without revealing the seller's handle, what does seller sell?

If it is as bad as you say, we can all go to that item out of curiosity and see what you see. 

3.A good suggestion from one of the members,  "Report a Seller". 

I've encountered search and browse manipulation for years and have reported it on many occasions. 

4. Feedback.  When in a drop down listing, there is sometimes a feedback window on the right lower

side of the screen.  If you see this. Utilize it. 

5. Frustration.  We feel you.   You're doing your part. You're bringing an issue to the community.  Listen to the advice. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this helps, but I noticed something a few years ago- a seller had about 800 items listed, all at around $2000. each (yes, 1.6 million dollar's worth, cap must have been lifted). I found this when I saw ONE item I was interested in, but then clicked "see other items from this seller".  Most of the items really were worth $2000., or something like it. But then I noticed a couple of other things- the seller only had feedbacks as a buyer, had not been on eBay very long. AND what set off flares for me was that EVERY item was photographed in a different place. Several high end racing bikes, none in the same place. Expensive cameras, not one against the same background, etc.  I forgot what else triggered me, but anyway I called eBay and said something like "This guy may be legit, but I suggest you look at this."  The next day, neither the listings nor the seller appeared anymore. IF I recall correctly, everything was set to close around the same time also. I think the guy planned to sell a few hundred thousand dollar's worth of items he did not own, delay buyers long enough to get the money out of his account, then skip town (literally or figuratively). 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If you are having an issue with the item description/shipping/pictures/illicit behavior click on report an item than follow the menu to report.

Anything else going into help to find a resolution..

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You may want to read a similar topic started earlier:

by rogitar adventurer  | Updated  by y8989
Message 13 of 13
latest reply