cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different item location, extra fees

The item I ordered was listed as located in China, but the item description clearly said "Sent from France", so I assumed the seller had a warehouse in France (as many Chinese sellers nowadays do), and purchased the item. (I am located in Belgium, and there are no extra fees for items sent from France.)

After the seller provided a tracking number, I realized the item was actually being sent from China. I contacted the seller (via eBay) immediately. He said "he made a mistake in the description and that he will take care of any extra fees."

What am I to do? Should I just trust him, and pay the extra fees when the item arrives, then hope I will get refunded? Does eBay provide any protection in such cases?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Were there any charges in the listing that changed when you were billed?

A seller cannot make changes after the listing closed.

You are responsible for the winning bid and shipping charges.

BUT

Other charges such as customs fees are entirely your responsibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

No, don't trust the seller.

The seller has violated this policy >>https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Ebay has that policy mainly because of what has happened to you.

I'm not sure how you should deal with this, perhaps speak to ebay about it.

Or, another poster might be able to advise you.

You need to report the seller though.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@daveroo wrote:

BUT

Did you bother to read the opening post at all ? 

The op is going to be charged custom fees when the item arrives from China. But the listing stated it was going to be shipped from France, so there wouldn't be any custom fees, that is why the op made the purchase.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

So, the item finally arrived. Turns out, the seller violated more than one policy.

1) The location was not as described.

2) The shipping time was not as described.

3) The item was not new.

4) The item was also damaged.

Now he is asking that I send the item back to China, even though the item description said France (which would be a lot cheaper). I told him that I was going to report him to eBay, as all of his items have the same description, but he didn't seem to care much.

How do I go about this?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

@daveroo wrote:

BUT

Did you bother to read the opening post at all ? 

The op is going to be charged custom fees when the item arrives from China. But the listing stated it was going to be shipped from France, so there wouldn't be any custom fees, that is why the op made the purchase.

Yes, but what I didn't think about was that items shipped from country to country within the EU don't have to worry about Custom fees (or at least I assume that's the case).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Regardless the description, the "Item location" in the listing says "China".

And it shipped from China, which any bot would match to the item location.

OP, forget about reporting to eBay: You need to click on Return this item under More actions next to the item on your Purchase history page.

Your seller is responsible for return shipping but will not be able to send a return shipping label. So you'll have to click on Ask eBay to step in as soon as that link appears. eBay will have your seller send money via PayPal to buy a return shipping label, or refund outright without requiring a return.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This is just great. Since I purchased the item via ebay.be, I cannot use the eBay Resolution Center. The only thing I can do is open a PayPal dispute, which I just did.

Lesson learned, I guess.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@white.pawn wrote:

This is just great. Since I purchased the item via ebay.be, I cannot use the eBay Resolution Center. The only thing I can do is open a PayPal dispute, which I just did.

Lesson learned, I guess.

Sorry, wouldn't this have worked:

http://resolutioncenter.benl.ebay.be

Transactieproblemen oplossen

Een probleem oplossen
We moedigen onze leden altijd aan om met elkaar te communiceren in geval van een probleem met een transactie. Als u het lid al hebt proberen te contacteren, maar het probleem niet hebt kunnen oplossen, kunt u een geschil openen.
Vertel ons uw probleem zodat we de bemiddelingsprocedure kunnen opstarten:
Ik kocht een object. Ik verkocht een object. Ik heb het nog niet ontvangen. Ik heb mijn betaling nog niet ontvangen. Ik heb een object ontvangen dat sterk afwijkt van de beschrijving van de verkoper. De koper en ik gaan akkoord om een transactie te annuleren.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That's what I used. As soon as you select an item, you get this:

Dutch:

Omdat u met PayPal betaalde, bent u mogelijk gedekt via de kopersbescherming van PayPal.
Dit geschil wordt geopend op de website van PayPal. Neem contact op met de klantendienst van PayPal als u hier vragen over hebt.

English:
Because you paid with PayPal, you may be covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. 
This dispute will be opened on the PayPal website. Please contact PayPal Customer Service if you have questions about this.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply