cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling an order

So I bought two things from a seller at about 8pm I then regretted spending so much and asked for a cancellation through ebay at 8:42 pm. Immediately after I asked to cancel I got a notification that the seller shipped them at 8:47 pm. So I then got an email from ebay saying that I can't cancel because the seller has already shipped them. It seemed like to me that they saw I wanted to cancel so they said they shipped it, but could it actually be that they had shipped it but didn't notify ebay until after I asked to cancel? Is there anything I can do or should do? Should I contact the seller?

Edit: Never mind I just decided it wasn't worth it, I don't want to have to bother with it

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Cancelling an order

@lacechadwic_0 wrote:

So I bought two things from a seller at about 8pm I then regretted spending so much and asked for a cancellation through ebay at 8:42 pm. Immediately after I asked to cancel I got a notification that the seller shipped them at 8:47 pm. So I then got an email from ebay saying that I can't cancel because the seller has already shipped them. It seemed like to me that they saw I wanted to cancel so they said they shipped it, but could it actually be that they had shipped it but didn't notify ebay until after I asked to cancel? Is there anything I can do or should do? Should I contact the seller?

Edit: Never mind I just decided it wasn't worth it, I don't want to have to bother with it

If  you were going to edit it  why didn't  you remove all the text    and  just say oops?     Now  you have it set up so people have to read the entire post  .  

And I have  just made it worse   by  replying  and  bumping the post back to the top.  It's a vicious circle  but I can't  help myself .

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

I guess I didn't think about that sorry. I am still curious about it but if I was going to be a hassle for me and the seller I wasn't going to worry about it. I guess I could just delete the text if that would make you feel better?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

@lacechadwic_0 wrote:

What you can and should do is evaluate how much you want to spend before you actually buy it.  Cancellations and bid retractions should be rarely used, if ever.  You enter into a binding contract to purchase the item when you bid or buy.  Cancellations and bid retractions are not there for you to use because you changed your mind; doing so can negatively affect your buying privileges.  Many sellers block those who do this.

NEVER bid or buy until you are absolutely SURE you want to do so!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

Wow, things sure have changed on Ebay.  We haven't sold for some time and recently had a buyer ask to cancel, same day he paid.  

I agree - if you can't afford it, don't bid, don't buy.  Our "buyer" has cost us two weeks. One for the 7 day listing, another week because we will wait until Sunday to relist. Now we have a "credit" for the final value fee? What a pain in the....

Don't be so darned Inconsiderate. Many of us are NOT Amazon, not a big box store. Geez...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

@sarahsplace100 wrote:

Wow, things sure have changed on Ebay.  We haven't sold for some time and recently had a buyer ask to cancel, same day he paid.  

I agree - if you can't afford it, don't bid, don't buy.  Our "buyer" has cost us two weeks. One for the 7 day listing, another week because we will wait until Sunday to relist. Now we have a "credit" for the final value fee? What a pain in the....

Don't be so darned Inconsiderate. Many of us are NOT Amazon, not a big box store. Geez...

Buyers need to do their due diligence BEFORE they bid or buy.  Very simple.

Many threads on the Buying Board start out with, so I bid, or so I bought, and THEN.  There should not be any AND THEN because you figured out what you wanted to do BEFORE you bid or BINed.  

By vetting the seller, the listing, the description, the price, the shipping cost, the estimated delivery timeframe, the pictures, the measurements and condition, and by reading the seller's feedback comments.  Also by checking the location of the item and the seller.

Then you evaluated do you really WANT this item, will it suit your needs, and can you afford it.  Can you wait to receive it.  Does the delivery timeframe work for you.

And THEN when your mind is MADE UP, then you buy.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

Wow guys I asked for help, not to be judged. Not to mention, I said never mind I'd just deal with the fact that I bought it. Also I did talk to the seller, they reached out to me after asking for a cancellation, they said that they hadn't actually shipped the items and were willing to give me a refund. They were incredibly nice about it even though they didn't have to be unlike you guys. By the way this is the first thing I've ever cancelled after I bought, I usually keep the stuff I buy even if I decide I no longer want it wether it's online or at a store. I understand that not everyone is a big store but if ebay didn't want people to cancel they wouldn't have the option, that's just the risk you take when buying or selling. There have been many times when I've bought something I really wanted, then the seller decided to cancel the transaction without even talking to me or telling me why (not on ebay though). The matter has been resolved so it doesn't really require anymore responses but thanks

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

@lacechadwic_0 wrote:

Wow guys I asked for help, not to be judged. Not to mention, I said never mind I'd just deal with the fact that I bought it. Also I did talk to the seller, they reached out to me after asking for a cancellation, they said that they hadn't actually shipped the items and were willing to give me a refund. They were incredibly nice about it even though they didn't have to be unlike you guys. By the way this is the first thing I've ever cancelled after I bought, I usually keep the stuff I buy even if I decide I no longer want it wether it's online or at a store. I understand that not everyone is a big store but if ebay didn't want people to cancel they wouldn't have the option, that's just the risk you take when buying or selling. There have been many times when I've bought something I really wanted, then the seller decided to cancel the transaction without even talking to me or telling me why (not on ebay though). The matter has been resolved so it doesn't really require anymore responses but thanks

You should be aware that anything you post here is bound to result in some sort of judgement is going to be made by the readers whether they voice those opinions or not.

It appears that you chose a seller that was willing to accommodate you and cancel the transaction and refund you.  Hopefully, you know that the seller is not required to do that and that you should, in the future, take greater when making buying decisions.  Frankly, not all sellers are going to be quite so forgiving.

If you were notified by eBay that the item was shipped, the seller probably already purchased and printed the shipping label.  This, of course, causes the seller extra work in having to cancel the label.

Luckily, according to your post everything seems to have worked out for you this time.  Congratulations.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

Many sellers are here to suplement their income so when we have so many asking for cancellations or not paying - it takes a toll on them. Added your seller now has a charge from Paypal that is not refundable - so it was very nice of him to allow you to cancel especially since the shipping label was printed as he also has to cancel the postal label and wait for that refund.

We're not here to come down on you - but to let buyers know what goes on at our end. We've spent time taking the items from inventory - packing the items - printing the shipping label and now are asked to cancel there by still incurring a Paypal fee because of the pd transaction.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

Most of us suffer the vagaries of being human, which may at times surface as a remorseful buyer.  Ever taken anything back to a store because you "spent too much", didn't like it as much as you thought you did, shopped hungry and bought everything in sight, spent the rent, gained/lost weight/it wasn't exactly the shade for your ensemble, didn't fit in the door/room/arrangement??

It's ok, so has everyone else.  Online shipping is even harder.

And Amazon gives a 2-hour, no-questions-asked remorse cancellation window...and also a no questions asked claims process that very often results in the seller losing the payment and not getting the item back...and if the seller has more than a 1% failure rate, amazon bans them.

In comparison, eBay is looking pretty good for sellers...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

It appears that you chose a seller that was willing to accommodate you and cancel the transaction and refund you.  Hopefully, you know that the seller is not required to do that and that you should, in the future, take greater when making buying decisions.  Frankly, not all sellers are going to be quite so forgiving.

If you were notified by eBay that the item was shipped, the seller probably already purchased and printed the shipping label.  This, of course, causes the seller extra work in having to cancel the label.

Um the seller did NOT cancel.

We're all remorseful buyers at one point or another...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

@*eponymous* wrote:

Um the seller did NOT cancel.

We're all remorseful buyers at one point or another...

The op had a second post saying the seller did agree to refund 

my guess would be the seller printed the label and then saw the request 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

Truth is, you found a great seller who prints a shipping label promptly when paid promptly and was accommodating to your wishes after you changed your mind.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Cancelling an order

@lacechadwic_0 wrote:

Sorry if it seemed you were being judged and that we came down hard on you.

Just really wanted to point out that the time to decide if you are spending too much money is not after you buy; it is before.  While this seller was very nice, and I am happy for you, did you know that the request to cancel is just that, a request?  Seller does not have to accept that request, they can decline, and Ebay gives them three days to do so.  

Ebay does not put that cancel option there for you because they WANT you to cancel; every time you bid or buy, there is a statement they show you that says you are entering into a legally binding contract to purchase the item.  And that is what takes precedence.  Too many cancels or bid retractions and you can see your buying privileges restricted; Ebay wants buyers who will honor their obligation.

With all due respect, I understand you said never mind.  BUT had not posters responded with their thoughts for you to consider, you would continue the same behavior.  

When you decide to cancel because you change your mind, the seller was already accessed fees for the transaction.  He created the listing, took pictures, wrote a description.  You took his item off the market for a serious buyer, built lag time into the transaction, and caused him extra work to respond to you and file a cancellation.  Then he has to re-list.  I hope this gives you a perspective as to why some sellers feel this was inconsiderate.

If you have been in this situation before, since you say you keep things you don't want, it would surely be to your advantage to consider these comments.  Taking a bit more time could save you money in the end, without having unwanted items hanging around.

I'm sorry sellers have cancelled on you; the reality is neither party cancels with impunity.   

I apologize if any comments hurt or offended you; this is a hot button topic.  A cancellation on either side causes upset.  

Wishing you all the best!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply