cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a detailed receipt of a purchased item?

I purchased a laptop from a user on August 10th, 2017. The description said it would be loaded with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016. The software was working fine up until about a month ago. It now says the software is unlicensed. I tried to contact the seller twice for the activation number and haven't recieved a response in about a month. I contacted Microsoft and they said I would need to get a detailed receipt denoting that it came with the software, since all I can see under recent purchases is the title: "RARE HP Elitebook Folio 9480M i7 vPro 4600U 8GB Ram 2TB HDD Win10 HP Warranty"

How can I get this detailed receipt from eBay so I can have Microsoft reactivate the software?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

All that’s available is what is shown on your eBay purchase history and the PayPal transaction if you paid with PayPal. There is no “detailed receipt” that eBay can give you for this, you didn’t buy from eBay, you bought from an eBay seller who was probably not a licensed distributor/reseller. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

There must be an archive of the product description, no? That's all I really need.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You are responsible for printing the ad when you buy something.  That ad was likely purged a long time ago.  You can get a financial detail from your PayPal account. If you have the listing number and a good lawyer, you can file a legal request in court to have them research it - but that would cost more than the computer would be worth is my guess.

However, if you can do so, I recommend downloading a program called Belarc Advisor.  I have used it over many years and may computers, including operating systems MS6 - 7- 10, ME, Vista, XP, etc.  It has been at least 3 years since we bought a new computer, it was a free download then - I hope it still is.  Even if there is a charge now, worth every penny in my opinion. Especially if you need license data or an original key code.

The purpose of this program is an internal audit of your computer.  And you can print the report so one can take it to a repair shop if needed.  If a serial number exists, it will find it and give you a report of every piece of software and hardware you have inside, including the key codes, licenses, dates of installation, all security details, event logs, OS info - it will alert you to keyloggers and other intrusive programs... stuff virus programs miss. One of the best computer tools ever invented in my opinion.  There may be other opinions of course, but I've never known anyone - including pro-techs say anything negative about it.

But don't take my word for it - investigate and decide for yourself if it is right for you.  It is only a suggestion - one you may reject - the choice and responsibility is yours.  But, I really hope it is still available. Good luck.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

ok - just looked... review all before deciding. 🙂

https://belarc-advisor.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-347.2

https://www.belarc.com/

http://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advisor/3000-2094_4-10007277.html

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you! I'll take a look tomorrow. I did try a program called KeyFinder but it did not yield any results.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

When you purchased the machine, did you receive or make a recovery disk or media?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You will find that almost all MS specialty software installed on PCs is 'trial ware'.  Phrases like 'pre-loaded' simply mean it's there, not that it is a fully licensed, unrestricted version.  You may also find that licenses are limited in duration and need to be renewed periodically for cost.  MS has taken on a 'subscription ware' model for many programs.

There may never have been a full license key or any deception by the seller.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

That was most defintiely my concern. I'm determined however. In the program header, would it have said "(Trial Version)" or anything to that affect while in use for the first month? I never saw anything to that affect. Also, just as an update, this is the page I see when clicking "View Order Details" from my email.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@mix_one_six wrote:

That was most defintiely my concern. I'm determined however. In the program header, would it have said "(Trial Version)" or anything to that affect while in use for the first month?

Not necessarily, no.  MS is not known for clarity in those areas.

MS Support MIGHT be able to tell you if your version is subscription-ware or pre-loaded trial-ware not.  I'm not sure of any way to tell otherwise.

If it's pre-loaded OEM Full Version, there is usually a CD included with the key on the paper envelope.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It was either the 30 day trial version, or, if it was a used laptop, then the subscription expired. You will need to buy your own license. It is a yearly license.

That's why I still have Office 2007.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

or, if it was a used laptop, then the subscription expired. 

It was and that appears to be possible, it simply expired.  The seller may not have even realized that either.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply