Bidding & Buying
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Buy from ebay but receive from amazon?!?!

Buy from ebay but receive from amazon?!?!

mommykeshia862012
Enthusiast

I recently purchased an item for about $17 (free shipping) and when I received it in the mail, it was from amazon (sent as a gift). I went to amazon and looked up the same item. I saw that the price was less than $10 and it was eligible for the free super saving shipping. If I got it without spending over $25 to receive FSSS and had to pay shipping it would have been a total of $16.

The seller is listing items that they do not have, but amazon does. They are taking the price and shipping total from amazon and selling items on ebay at that price. They are then placing big enough orders through amazon to be eligible for the free super saving shipping. Each item then gets sent as a gift to whoever bought it off ebay. The seller is not having to pay shipping for any item because amazon ships it for free. They are making profit off what they should be paying in shipping costs.

I did not look at the sellers actual feedback before I placed my order because the score was almost 100% (over 1500) so I thought they were a good seller. After learning about what they do I took a look....

Most of the feedback is positive with comments such as "fast shipping". There are also some that are positive but say that their "money was refunded because the seller did not have item in stock". I do not see how that is positive, but ok. Also, I noticed that every single item they list is "private" which I thought was odd knowing what kind of stuff they sell. 

I am not upset about the price that I had paid because I know either way it would have been the same. What bothers me is that the seller is doing this and I do not think that it is ok. They are selling items that they do not even have and are placing orders with amazon as they receive them from ebay. They do not mention that the buyer will be receiving their item from amazon or that amazon is actually doing all the work. I think that it is all in all a scam and should not be allowed!

I would like to know your thoughts about this topic and whether or not this is something I can/should report to ebay. I have not left feedback or contacted the seller yet....

Message 1 of 336
335 REPLIES

Re: Buy from ebay but receive from amazon?!?!

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 8:54:21 AM
triyarn
Rockstar

It's called drop shipping. It is not illegal or against Ebay policy.

I guess I don't understand the problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 2 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 8:57:19 AM
winteriscoming
Rockstar

Completely acceptable. 

If you got your item in a timely fashion in the condition expected, then there should be no problem.

Are you going to question every seller to see where they got their merchandise?

It sound to me that you are more upset that you could have bought it cheaper elsewhere and did not shop around first.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Message 3 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 9:10:43 AM
bostongrammy
Rockstar

As noted above, eBay has no policy against dropshipping, though IIRC sellers are supposed to list the actual location of the item they are selling.

Amazon has a program called "Amazon Prime" that has no $25 minimum for free shipping. There's a once-a-year fee of $80, but even that is waived in some cases, such as student memberships. Amazon will cancel the 'Prime" membership of users who abuse the program as a drop-shipping system.

Message 4 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 9:53:47 AM

It's called drop shipping and it's perfectly acceptable on eBay.

Message 5 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 10:02:41 AM
blue_eyes_james
Rockstar

Believe me, I worked in retail stores (Target) for 26 years and everything that they sold there, they bought for less money* than the selling price!

Sounds like you're more upset that you didn't shop around.

(Doesn't sound like a triangulation scheme because the Amazon price was lower.)

*(A few exceptions called loss-leaders to compete in local markets and draw you in, toilet paper, etc.)

""
Message 6 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 10:24:50 AM

I bought an iron last year that was drop-shipped from Amazon.  I had checked all the sites for the best price, and a seller on eBay was the lowest because I would have had to pay sales tax on Amazon.  I know the seller lost money on that sale because of eBay and PayPal fees, why he bothered with such a low margin I have no idea.

Of course, the next week Amazon sent me an email saying "We noticed you were looking at XXXXX iron, were you still interested?" when it went on sale for 30% off.  Thaaaanks.

Fnord.
Message 7 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 10:42:01 AM
echo_and_zip
Guide

How DARE that Seller buy an item for $10. from Amazon, have it shipped to eBay Buyer for $17.00 - pay eBay a fee of $1.70 and PayPal a fee of $0.84 - and MAKE A PROFIT of....

$ 4.46

How is this Seller allowed to make a fast $4.46...

isn't this wrong ?

I recently purchased an item for about $17 (free shipping) and when I received it in the mail, it was from amazon (sent as a gift). I went to amazon and looked up the same item. I saw that the price was less than $10 and it was eligible for the free super saving shipping. If I got it without spending over $25 to receive FSSS and had to pay shipping it would have been a total of $16.

The seller is listing items that they do not have, but amazon does. They are taking the price and shipping total from amazon and selling items on ebay at that price. They are then placing big enough orders through amazon to be eligible for the free super saving shipping. Each item then gets sent as a gift to whoever bought it off ebay. The seller is not having to pay shipping for any item because amazon ships it for free. They are making profit off what they should be paying in shipping costs.

I did not look at the sellers actual feedback before I placed my order because the score was almost 100% (over 1500) so I thought they were a good seller. After learning about what they do I took a look....

Most of the feedback is positive with comments such as "fast shipping". There are also some that are positive but say that their "money was refunded because the seller did not have item in stock". I do not see how that is positive, but ok. Also, I noticed that every single item they list is "private" which I thought was odd knowing what kind of stuff they sell. 

I am not upset about the price that I had paid because I know either way it would have been the same. What bothers me is that the seller is doing this and I do not think that it is ok. They are selling items that they do not even have and are placing orders with amazon as they receive them from ebay. They do not mention that the buyer will be receiving their item from amazon or that amazon is actually doing all the work. I think that it is all in all a scam and should not be allowed!

I would like to know your thoughts about this topic and whether or not this is something I can/should report to ebay. I have not left feedback or contacted the seller yet....

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 8 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 12:52:28 PM

wouldn't all the items in the order of $25 or more have to go to the same address?  It would have to be in the same order and as far as I know there isn't a way to choose for half of your order to go one way and the other half to go the other way.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 1:17:29 PM
gamingrepairparts
Thrill-Seeker

What probably happened in this case is they had an inventory error and instead of canceling the order and causing issues with the buyer, They bought the item on amazon and sent it out. I've done the exact same thing about 5 times. Some time I get lucky and maybe make a few bucks and sometimes I lose a few bucks. Some seller do do it as drop shipping and they do it on amazon and eBay. Just trying to make a buck

Message 10 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 1:28:53 PM
blue_eyes_james
Rockstar

wouldn't all the items in the order of $25 or more have to go to the same address?  It would have to be in the same order and as far as I know there isn't a way to choose for half of your order to go one way and the other half to go the other way.

But if they're a Prime member like myself the $25 order minimum isn't required. Smiley Wink

""
Message 11 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 1:37:12 PM

But if they're a Prime member like myself the $25 order minimum isn't required. Smiley Wink

right but the scenario in the OPs post wouldn't work.  And if they have prime they did have to pay something to get free shipping in the first place even if they are a student you have to pay a certain amount to be a prime member

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 2:06:58 PM
mommykeshia862012
Enthusiast

I did not know the term for it, thank you. I was just wondering if it was against ebay policy but I guess it's not and is a common thing. That is all....

Message 13 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 5:32:21 PM
mommykeshia862012
Enthusiast

I researched this topic more since finding out the term for it.

Another person mentioned that though ebay allows this, it is against amazons prime membership policy to use them for drop shipping. This is true. I thought that it would have been against ebays policy as well to use amazon, but I guess not. That is the whole reason for the post, to find out.

I may not have known the term "drop shipping", but I am quite aware that retailers/sellers buy products at wholesale prices and sell them at their prices to make profit. I just do not think that it is ok for ebay sellers to be using amazon for this purpose and apparently neither do they. The sellers should also state that they do not actually have the item so that the buyer knows the circumstances. I have seen a few websites that do mention if the item is shipped by someplace else. I avoid those items because I would rather buy an item directly from the seller and know that the item is actually in stock. If there was a problem with the purchase I would have to go through more people and that would just be a hassle. That is my opinion and please just keep all of your rude comments to yourself.

Also, I mentioned in my original post that I was not upset about the price that I paid because either way it would have ended pretty much the same. I had looked at other sites before making my purchase and those prices were either the same or higher. I decided to just purchase it off ebay so that it would help my rating.

Message 14 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 6:56:30 PM

If you use your Prime membership for this and get caught, your Prime membership will be cancelled immediately and forever. There was a post about this on Trust and Safety about six months ago. It is in their user agreement.

Message 15 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 7:19:42 PM
winteriscoming
Rockstar

But really we are all speculating. There is no way to know Seller used a Prime membership. 

It could be as simple as Post 9 suggested, a good seller ran out of stock and fulfilled shortage though AZ.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
Message 16 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 7:46:17 PM
tijuanaroxy
Trailblazer

When I was a seller, I did this more than once after making a mistake on an order. Such as, a textbook I described as being in "like-new condition" actually had underlining and margin notes. Even though it meant taking a financial hit on the Ebay sale, I would order the book brand-new delivered directly from Amazon to my buyer. Nothing nefarious or underhanded - I just chose to satisfy the buyer and protect my Ebay feedback from taking a justified hit if I sent the person an item in lesser condition than they were expecting. It didn't happen that often and I never had a buyer even mention it to me.

Message 17 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 7:56:58 PM
blue_eyes_james
Rockstar

right but the scenario in the OPs post wouldn't work.  And if they have prime they did have to pay something to get free shipping in the first place even if they are a student you have to pay a certain amount to be a prime member

Maybe I'm still daft but I'm not seeing how it wouldn't work. yes you pay for Prime but it more than pays for itself with volume plus there are other features like the free movies and TV shows streaming.

But, it could be one of at least three things.

1) Drop-shipping through A prime which A frowns upon.

b) A triangulation scheme using someone's else's credit card.

c) An emergency replacement for a lost/ruined item.

I'd have to see the seller to make a better assessment based on their history, but I wouldn't worry about t!

""
Message 18 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 8:02:49 PM

Maybe I'm still daft but I'm not seeing how it wouldn't work. yes you pay for Prime but it more than pays for itself with volume plus there are other features like the free movies and TV shows streaming.

But, it could be one of at least three things.

1) Drop-shipping through A prime which A frowns upon.

b) A triangulation scheme using someone's else's credit card.

c) An emergency replacement for a lost/ruined item.

I'd have to see the seller to make a better assessment based on their history, but I wouldn't worry about t!

I'm not saying using prime wouldn't work.  i'm saying buying $25 worth to get free shipping wouldn't work.  

Message 19 of 336

in reply to Apr 24, 2013 8:37:36 PM
blue_eyes_james
Rockstar

Got it.

""
Message 20 of 336