cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST OFFERS

Why have a best offer option when you put in a good fair offer and they ignore the offer and let it expire? POOR POOR POOR POOR business if you want the truth on it. Waste of my time. I guess I'll have to take my money to the Chinese where they will gladly accept it. 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

BEST OFFERS

Sorry you are unhappy but you don't know that they ignored the offer.

Several things to consider:  seller may not have even know the Best Offer was on the listing.  Ebay adds it in some cases~not the seller.

Seller may not have wanted a  Best Offer.

Ebay messages can be delayed.  I know of someone who got an ebay message that required action by the 9th.   They received it on the 10th and the message allowed for several days before the action was to occur, so the message was clearly several days late.

You are, of course, welcome to make whatever buying decision you may think are wise, but possibly you are not aware that international sales can be problematic.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

Basically, when you submit an offer you are asking to take less for their property than they already said they wanted for it, by nature of them setting the asking price.  When making an offer you are, in essence asking the seller to do you the favor of allowing you to buy the item for less than the seller is asking for it. 

The Best Offer system that eBay has devised allows for an offer to remain active for a period of 48 hours, which you agreed to when making the offer.  It also gives the seller the options to accept the offer, decline the offer, make a counter offer or let the offer expire.  By letting the offer expire, the seller has essentially declined your offer.  Often this is a wise option for the seller since it gives them time to evaluate the offer and wait to see if other, possibly better offers are forthcoming.  Unfortunately, it is often the case that what the person making it considers a "good fair offer" is not when looked at from the perspective of the seller.

Being that eBay has, it appears, started to include the BO option in seller's listings without their consent or sometimes even knowledge.  I've decided to reconsider my policy of automatically blocking buyers that make them.  It wasn't too long ago that eBay considered making an offer if the BO option wasn't included in the listing as an attempt to work an off eBay transaction.  An offense that could lead to the one making the offer being kicked off eBay altogether.  Now the pendulum seems to have swung the other way for the moment.

One advantage to people making offers though is that it gives the seller the opportunity to check out the potential buyer's feedback left for others and their bid retraction record.

Oh!  Speaking of bid retractions, I see that you appear to be fond of using them.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@wt33.1116,

Everything castlemagicmemories and 7606dennis wrote is true.  To add to what they have written, you have to understand that even some of the high volume sellers are only 1 or 2 person businesses, and they may run into situations where they can't check messages for a few days. 

Beyond that, when you make what you consider to be a fair offer, you have to realize that the amount offered is not what the seller will receive, after paying ebay and PayPal's fees.  If you make an offer of 20% off a $100 item, or $80.  The seller will pay 12.9% of the $80, in fees. The seller receives around $69, which may be more than they are willing to discount the item. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

Why don't buyers put on their glasses?

It says "Best Offer" not "Worst Offer"

Who here really thinks a seller with a re-searched item and price that falls within the average range of sales in the last 90 days is going to take 87% off when the listing has been live for 10 minutes?

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

also it was you who said you submitted a good fair offer, that would only be your opinion. I have received offers that buyer's felt were fair, and the offers were usually half of the original price..

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@robot-hands wrote:

Even ebay doesn't expect buyers to submit their best offer first, that is why buyers get more than one chance to make an offer..

I start with a nice low ball, and if the seller wants to play ball and haggle, then the seller will get my best offer before I run out of chances..

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@*madison wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

Even ebay doesn't expect buyers to submit their best offer first, that is why buyers get more than one chance to make an offer..

I start with a nice low ball, and if the seller wants to play ball and haggle, then the seller will get my best offer before I run out of chances..

i don't haggle mostly because when I counter offer it never gets accepted or countered back so I mostly quit trying.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@wt33.1116 wrote:

Why have a best offer option when you put in a good fair offer and they ignore the offer and let it expire? POOR POOR POOR POOR business if you want the truth on it. Waste of my time. I guess I'll have to take my money to the Chinese where they will gladly accept it. 

What do you consider a "good fair offer"?

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

Depending on the price, 3-8% off asking price.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@esclyons wrote:

also it was you who said you submitted a good fair offer, that would only be your opinion. I have received offers that buyer's felt were fair, and the offers were usually half of the original price..

Fair is in the eye of the beholder, most definitely.  It depends on which side of the listing you are on!

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

I know from my own buying that there are those who offer best offer but will only take about $2 of a $100 price tag.  On teh other end of the spectrum is me who does about 2/3 of my business with best offer. I price in teh range I see for the item the figure 10-30% wiggle room.  Im not insulted by lowballs because I never see them.  I let the autodecline handle those the personally evaluate each offer in teh realistic zone.  It really is supposed to be a negotiating point.  Lets agree on a price and get the item sold.  I think more than a few use the best offer option to hide their unreasonable expectations and to give buyers false hope.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@rixstuff wrote:

I know from my own buying that there are those who offer best offer but will only take about $2 of a $100 price tag.  On teh other end of the spectrum is me who does about 2/3 of my business with best offer. I price in teh range I see for the item the figure 10-30% wiggle room.  Im not insulted by lowballs because I never see them.  I let the autodecline handle those the personally evaluate each offer in teh realistic zone.  It really is supposed to be a negotiating point.  Lets agree on a price and get the item sold.  I think more than a few use the best offer option to hide their unreasonable expectations and to give buyers false hope.

Yes, and some use it as an advertising tool or a option for down the road if they really need money and want to move the item.  Ebay places it on some listings and the seller may not want it there.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

I've offered $15 on a $19.99 item and, as expected, was declined. So I re-submit several offers all the way up to $19 and still not accepted. What's the point of of having the Best Offer option even listed?
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

BEST OFFERS

@koolkeif wrote:
I've offered $15 on a $19.99 item and, as expected, was declined. So I re-submit several offers all the way up to $19 and still not accepted. What's the point of of having the Best Offer option even listed?

If you read the thread, you might find out.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply