cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for more money

So i won and awsome auction for a fraction of what its worth. I pay right away and do my happy dance. Seller sends message saying he knows their worth more would i be willing to bump it up a lil. **bleep** im already taking a risk with him only having 2 sales and no other product. Whats up with that. Im kinda stumped, suggestions

JayFr3d
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Asking for more money

Nhes insulted and mad

JayFr3d
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

@jerrfredrickso_0 wrote:

So i won and awsome auction for a fraction of what its worth. I pay right away and do my happy dance. Seller sends message saying he knows their worth more would i be willing to bump it up a lil. **bleep** im already taking a risk with him only having 2 sales and no other product. Whats up with that. Im kinda stumped, suggestions.

The seller requesting you to bump it up a little is a extremely inappropriate request.

The facts that you have presented would cause me to decline.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

If it looks like a scam, feels like a scam, what is it ?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

If I were to give my frank and honest opinion of a seller who does that, almost half the words would get caught in the obscenity filter and you'd never see them. Sellers have no right to do that. You won the auction fair and square, and you paid fair and square. If he's not happy with where the auction settled, that's on him. He should have started it at the lowest price he was willing to accept.

My advice to you is to stand your ground. No point in getting angry with him, or saying anything that eBay would consider abusive or threatening (you're using their message system, and you don't want to abuse it). Just refuse to pay more than what eBay said you need to pay.

If he refuses to ship to you, file an Item Not Received dispute against him to get your money back.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

@ed8108 wrote:

If it looks like a scam, feels like a scam, what is it ?

It's not a scam in the sense that the seller is trying to deceive the buyer. He seems pretty open about what he wants. I'm sure it's a policy violation of some kind, but he's open about it.

What it is, is a seller being a miserable p-o-s who refuses to accept the consequences of his decisions.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

This is apparently a new seller with only 2 sales so far.

Ebay makes it seem so easy to list - sell - get paid !

This inexperienced seller probably took Ebay's advice to start bid at 1 cent with free shipping.

This seller didn't go silent, didn't get obnoxious, didn't do a bogus buyer requested cancellation.

If you got the item for a fraction of the value I probably would "bump" up the price a little bit and see what the seller says.

I'd probaby try to help this new seller and refer him to these boards for real education on selling on ebay.

One negative could put this seller out of business with what, a 66% feedback score and one defect out of 3 sales?

People on these boards always say they are here to help people with Ebay.  There's ways to do that besides just here on the boards.

I purchased a $7 necklace a couple of months ago for my 8-year old granddaughter.  It tracked all the way to sorting to place in my po box, then it went to Jacksonville, then disappeared.  I signed up for the usps email system where they give updates.  No updates.  I went to the post office, stood in line, only to be told they don't know where the package is  - and get this - the clerk told me I should just request a replacement from the seller 😞        The seller sent me a refund via paypal and I sent it back to her.   $7 wasn't going to break me and the seller did nothing wrong.

I guess I am just a softey.

Tammy/NH

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is horrible advice BAD advice.

To the OP

DO NOT pay this seller more. Tell him simply that you expect him to honor your winning bid. DONT mention feedback, and DO NOT say its OK for him to cancel.

Its not the buyers job to educate the seller, its not the sellers place to ask for more money.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

Oh, sure. Teach this seller that he can get away with doing something that is unacceptable. What could possibly go wrong?

The lessons I've learned on eBay that really took root are the lessons that cost me money.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

You could continue with your happy dance while ignoring them and pretend you're on a vacation or something, and maybe they'll start thinking that they better send it right about soon now, or they might shuffle quietly all the way into a Item not received claim. Otherwise you must capitulate to their ransom demands and pay the booty and walk the plank, arrrrrrgh.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

@b4b4b4b wrote:

This is apparently a new seller with only 2 sales so far.

Ebay makes it seem so easy to list - sell - get paid !

This inexperienced seller probably took Ebay's advice to start bid at 1 cent with free shipping.

This seller didn't go silent, didn't get obnoxious, didn't do a bogus buyer requested cancellation.

If you got the item for a fraction of the value I probably would "bump" up the price a little bit and see what the seller says.

I'd probaby try to help this new seller and refer him to these boards for real education on selling on ebay.

One negative could put this seller out of business with what, a 66% feedback score and one defect out of 3 sales?

definately DO NOT pay extra!  they sent it to auction with no reserve/low starting price! unlike a live auction, they can simply cancel. 66% fb? too bad!  with just 2 sales, they 'could' quit and start over. i dont care if it is 1/10th its actual value, i would not pay 1 penny more, even knowing they will likely bale. it is a matter of princaple. my integrety is worth more than any trinkets bought or sold here. i would throw the money in the trash before giving it to them!!!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

I would just tell them nicely that i have now paid and i am looking forward to receiving the item. I wouldnt even answer their request for more money.

If they dont ship anything then file the item NoT Received after the estimated delivery date passes. In other words do it all by the book. 

If you feel bad for the seller and you think they might learn from the experience on how to set an opening price then you dont HAVE to leave bad feedback for him. You could leave nothing at all if you want.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

I'd remind them it was an auction and plenty of people had the oportunity to bid and passed on. 

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and it was put out there for anybody to outbid you and they didn't.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

@jerrfredrickso_0 wrote:

So i won and awsome auction for a fraction of what its worth. I pay right away and do my happy dance. Seller sends message saying he knows their worth more would i be willing to bump it up a lil. **bleep** im already taking a risk with him only having 2 sales and no other product. Whats up with that. Im kinda stumped, suggestions

Dear Seller.

I am delighted to have been the winning bidder in this auction. My payment for the amount of the winning bid  has been made through PayPal and I am looking forward to receiving the Item.

Thanks!

Buyer

The end. Don't send more money, don't threaten them. Just sit tight.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Asking for more money

I would not even dignify that request with a response. I'd just wait until the delivery time was up and file an INR claim.

It sounds like this is a new seller who did not do his/her research properly, or may think there is still some novelty to buying items on eBay that would drive the price up, or just didn't bother to think. But that is not your problem. In no case should you reward this seller for bad behavior.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply