cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

safe to buy stuffed plush pre owned dolls?

Hello, not sure if this is a question for the boards but I was wondering about buying used plush dolls because of bedbugs. There are many dolls I would love to collect that are only available now pre owned because there are no longer being made. I recently purchase a 17"  Build a Bear Tiger (He's on his way just won him)and there are others I would love to own .However I am afraid  there's always the possibility of bedbugs hiding in there and I've read washing alone is not enough to destroy bugs and their eggs,it needs to be put in a dryer for up to 90 minutes high heat.  I would think that would be bad for the doll. Are other collectors worried like me and what do you recommend  ?

Thanks so much for any replies!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Before buying any pre-owned plush dolls, I would ask the seller if they have any bed bugs in them. Either that or buy them new.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Don't know about buying dolls, but we have sold some plush that we know to be bug free.

Saying that, how could one guarantee?

Our one experience with the bugs came from my son, who got them in his apartment.

He believes he got them from books he bought online. (Books!)

But, apparently one can get them sitting next to someone on bus or subway, hanging a coat with others, even walking down a carpeted hall.

There is always a chance for things to not be ok buying online.

Guess only you can decide whether you want to take that chance.

Can you spot the bugs in a new item?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

thanks for your reply. Wow I never thought of how they can be in books too, ugh!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply