cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if some beads of the necklace are Lapis gemstones?

Hi, I need help to identify the blue stone beads in the necklace of the attached photo? They don't seem to be resin or any type of plastic, also I tested the color with an acetone Q-tip but the Q-tip didn't pick any color. I think they might be Lapis Lazuli but I'm not sure? Some Beads seem to have shiny dots, which I assume, are pyrites but some doesn't have any shiny particles, it is quite confusing, I’d like to sell this necklace but wanted to be sure of the info before listing? Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hello I am not an expert but I do not think they are LapisLazuli. The colors are to uniform Lapis I have seen and have is swirled and different tones of blue. Sorry can't help more that that.

photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

These beads do not look like lapis lazuli to me. Could you post a few more photos so we can have a better idea of the patterning? If you have a scanner bed, that works nicely. Just stick a white hanky over them during the scan and you'll get a more descriptive image.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi there!! I can tell you that is the blue stone appears to have gold flakes in them then yes, they are Lapis. Not all the beads have to have them just most. Also it's hard to tell from your picture but it reminds me of Blue Malachite. I can see some swirling in the beads. I hope this helps.

JessiesJewelryBox

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Without being able to examine all of them closely and fully, just having gold flecks in them does not conclusively mean they are lapis because other stones such as blue goldstone also have such flecks. Lower grade lapis actually may have more white flecks and streaks.

There is also no such thing as "blue malachite", since malachite, by definition, is green. It sometimes occurs in the same formation as azurite (or they are ground together and formed manually into a bead or cabochon or whatever), and is then called azurite malachite, but that in no way describes what I am seeing here.

These really need better photos, and really, at the end of the day, a gemologist to examine them if you really want to know with certainty.

Since they are strung with what look like Czech glass or crystal, however, with what appears to be brass chain, I would not be making book that they are in fact lapis.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

hi actually, form your photo, I can say it is definitely not lapiz but some kind of plastic or resin. Lapis doesn't have that kind of swirling and patterning

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sorry to say it's not LapisLazuli 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sorry to say they not looks like Lapis lazuli
Message 8 of 8
latest reply