cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egg Yolk Butterscotch necklace ?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI have 2 old necklaces that I have had for a long time are these Egg Yolk Butterscotch Amber? Time for them to go but need to know what they are. The 2nd is marked W Germany. TIA

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, I have a similar necklace I am trying to find more about but nobody has answered me - if you want to take a look. In regards to your necklece if you believe that the first necklace needs identifcation, amber, Bakelite, plastic, here are some maybe helpful tips. For amber - fill a bowl halfway with  water or enough that it will cover the necklace and fill halfway with table salt, stir and drop the necklace in the water, if it floats it is likely amber. Bakelite run it under hot water keep your hands from the water, put not too close to your nose and if Bakelite you will get a burnt type of smell or if plastic the hot water brings out a strong plastic smell. You can also heat up a needle and try to insert it into one of the beads, if it does not penetrate it is also likely amber. If it makes a small indentation, it is some type of plastic.  I did this once with an old Bakelite necklace and I put it close to my nose and the smell was very strong it is not a good idea to inhale any type of plastics and why I say if you place it not too close to your nose you can still pick up the scent you do not need to hold it very close. Hope this helps. The second necklace looks more like plastic based on the findings, but you can test it the say way. Hope this helps. Please check out my question if you have time, any information helps. The reason I can not test the way I am sugguesting to you is because the necklace may be a combination of materials.  Hope this helps. Best -

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

These are just plastic made to look like a vintage Bakelite necklace.  The beads are not amber nor Bakelite.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I second the previous post, not bakelite nor amber. You see a lot of these pieces marked Germany or Japan that are plastic and sometimes glass.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

wanted to add that the clasp is the key to knowledge here.  Those clasps are fairly new and made to look like the original old ones.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply