cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

African trading beads???

Hello! Does anyone know if these are African trading beads? any information will be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

African trading beads???

Hello, these look like Indonesian versions of Venetian beads. Look up "Millefiori trade beads from Venice and their friends" for a comparison.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Thanks lynndf! These beads aren't glass - not sure if that matters. I found some very similar beads listed as "antique venetian millefiori African trading beads". They also used the word matte beads. From what I read, they're powder beads. Beads aren't something I'm knowledgeable in - at all. I'll definitely check out the info you provided. Thanks much for your time and help! 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

I decided to go back to the thrift store that I purchased the necklace from and there was another. The one I got today looks different & from what I read, looks like the real deal. It's very heavy & strung different than the first. The beads are cut at a slant, the colors are brighter, the yellow more yellow. Let me know what you think please. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

I believe a picture would help...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Here's both side by side

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Yes, the second one that you added has genuine antique African trade beads. The bigger yellow beads may be amber, which is valuable, or they may be a material designed to look like amber. But the long millefiori beads are old and they are nice.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Thank you SO much! You just made my day! How do I tell if they're real amber or simulated? When I list this, I'm assuming I need to put the types of millefiori beads? I've noticed that on a lot of the listings. Do you have any other keyword suggestions? 

Thank you again!! 🙂

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Keywords: Antique Millefiori Venetian Trade Beads

Be sure to provide details as to condition.  Collectors do not expect old beads to be perfect, but they do expect major chips, cracks and repairs to be described.

Only someone who knows amber well would be able to assist on verifying the round yellow beads.  I don't know anything personally about amber so I can't comment on it.  There are some tests for amber that you may be able to find online, but I would be very careful not to damage the beads.

There is a collector group called the Bead Forum that has postings about amber that you can research.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

Thanks again lynndf!! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I'll definitely check out the forum you're referring to. I'm posting a picture of the possible amber beads to share with you and others. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

African trading beads???

If only I could remember to post the picture before I hit post...

Message 11 of 11
latest reply