cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please give me ruthless criticism about my handmade clothes for Silkstone Barbie

Hello! 
I sew OOAK outfits for Silkstone Barbie about few monthes and I'd like to understand collectors better))
I would appreciate for ruthless criticism from Silkstone Barbie collectors and for any answers about 3 my last works, about design details and about sewing details. 
252404580148 bronze dress
252408833550 floral dress
252413449430 blue dress
Please tell me also, if possible, what details are important for you when you are choosing outfit for your dolls. 
Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Please give me ruthless criticism about my handmade clothes for Silkstone Barbie

They all look very pretty to me but I am not a silkstone collector-if you want to hear ruthless criticism you should join the Barbie Collector site, there are many silkstone collectors there-they will give you a earful Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for the answer! I'll try there also))

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I am not a silkie collector either, but I will tell you that I do not particularly care for the earrings or necklaces for these girls.  Though I do like the necklace on the middle silkie(blue)perhaps smaller white bead on the earrings. I  like this outfit the best of the three.  I like the flower print dress, but not sure about the red bows at the shoulders and not sure about the white purse either....red may be better and from same fabric as hat and waistband...no bow.  No green earrings/necklace beads.  Do I see a little white fur ball at the end of the scarf of the tan dress?  I think best if it not be there....no fur anywhere else and just doesn't go. 

But then again, my doll wears Joe Boxer briefs under a vintage dress, so who am I to critique your creations? Smiley Tongue   Anyway, I have given you my honest and humble opinion.  Lovely sewing and good fit really.

Hope this has been a help to you.  About as ruthless as I can get.

Happy sewing and creating!

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

The more I look at the blue outfit, hat, stole et al, the more I like it.  Gorgeous!

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I'm very grateful for your honest answer, this is exactly what I want. I had my doubts about bows also, but had no idea about such details that you said. It is very helpful for me. Therefore collector's opinion is so important for me))

And thank you for the good wishes!

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

That is nice to hear, thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Ok but remember you asked for it.  The execution of all three is pretty great.  The scale of the floral print is a little but large and as mentioned above the bows are unneccessary.  I bet taking the hem up about a half an inch will make it look less like the dress is wearing her.  The second dress is very well done and probably my favorite.  The third looks like a variation of the first but the fabric weight makes it look bulky on her.

On to the accessories.  Love the first hat because it is really plain but with style.  The white of the purse is kind of jarring next to the white background of the print.  Also there is another inexplicable bow.  The second hat is very good especially by matching the color to the gloves.  Are you a big fan of the fabric rosettes?  I don't feel one way or the other about them but they almost seem like the perfect signature for your work.  ALL of the earrings are way off scale but the necklaces are better.

As Tim Gunn from Project Runway would say, edit, edit, edit.  In other words, don't throw all your design ideas on it.  When I see other OOAK designs, many have just too many bells and whistles.  But even at the critique stage they are 100% better than that dog  2016 Platinum Black & White doll being offered by Mattel.  Good luck!

Joe

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Joe, thank you so much for responding to my post. Sure I need only true)) Thanks that you pointed to the weaknesses and also to details that are better. In total it is nice orientir for my next works.
About fabric rosettes - I like it like a variant for a while but I'll look for something else perhaps)) And seems I need to see Project Runway, I had never seen. Thank you again for your time and helpful advices! 

Olga

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I think it is neat to have a personal signature such as the rosettes.  Sets your outfits apart.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I think these are smashing and am looking forward to buying some of them. There are just a few small things I would change.

1) On the floral dress--I think the bows are not the right thing on this dress. If you were going for the vibe of something like, say, Friday Night Date they would be cute. But the overal tone I think you are going for is glamour--the bows are not glamorous. You've got that splash of dark red very close by, on the turban. It's also there are at the waist and on the purse (maybe a rosette in that color rather than the bow?).

The other thing is the scale of the earrings. Do you think you can find and work with smaller beads that would be more to scale for this doll?

2) The earrings on the other two outfits have the same problem. But aside from that, I think they are perfect!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I thought a lot about these rosettes and it seems it is not authentic style and without it dress is more elegant. I aspire to elegance and authenticity, but at the same time a outfit doesn't have to be boring, that is why I was making such details as rosettes or brooches. In final I'd like to find right balance between authenticity and decorative effect. I see many others in their works are using flowers for scrapbooking and this is bright decorative detail indeed. Sometimes I thought about the same, but now I understand, that is not my style. If to talk about signature, now I see, that works of different artist are recognized by its general style.  I think even if I delete rosettes it will be known that this work is mine. In one of my work I used beadwork on neckline and it seems to me it is better than rosettes. This is the dress I was talking about. But this is with incorrect scale of accessories still))

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for honest answer for my post and for the compliment also))
Hahaha I'll never use these confounded bows again
Yes, with the scale it was a problem really. And I found smaller swarovski beads when I heard about my mistakes. You can see it in gold color with the outfit that is above. What do you think about scale in this case?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Thank you all!
After your comments I made this dress and corrected few mistakes. But seems to me it is not ideal still. I see scale of floral pattern is not right))
And what do you think about this variant?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

And what do you think about colors of necklaces and earrings? Is it better for this things to be with different colors like on the dress or just classic white "pearl" with all outfits? See example, please, below
(Pic of white necklace is not mine, I took it from seller mrs.ponytails)

Message 15 of 27
latest reply