cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Barbie Blue Book?

I'm working on making a collection for my daughter right now that I can flip for a profit in 12 years when it's ready for her to go to college since Bonds and CDs are out of the question with our broken economy in the US...

I've been trying to construct a basic blue book value for the dolls and I haven't been able to locate one specifically for the Happy Holidays Barbie collection...

I realize, even MIB some aren't 'worth' much right now, but in 12 years, who knows, but for the moment, while I'm BUYING them, I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off either....

Here's what I'm looking to value -

Happy Holidays Barbies 1988 - 2012 MIB & Mint out of Box (including all variations, African American, Special Brunette/Blonde releases)

Happy Holidays Barbie Hallmark Ornaments MIB

And also, if anyone has any info on this, what is the entire collection MIB worth when sold all together, like if I was going to sell it tomorrow,  Just curious on the matter there...

I plan on buying outside the collection once I have completed it up to this year (2012) of course I'll be looking forward to the 2013 version too, but while awaiting it's released I'll be picking up Gold and Platinum label Barbies where I can to add to the value as college is extremely important to me and I want to make sure my kids can go without any financial backlashes

For example, I've been looking for a 1994 Brunette Special Festival edition Barbie... however, the pricing is all over the place.  I mean, I was looking at one that was being sold and the guy was selling it for $250, no one bid on it and it ended, I was actually gathering the money to get it at the time, I knew I couldn't bid and then ask him to wait for me on my end if I won, but I figured if no one bid on it, he'd relist it...

and he did relist it,

but he jumped the price to $550!  I have no idea why, complete shock to me, now I know I can't get it for that price, and it bothers me that it might not even be worth that much, no one bid on it for $250, why would anyone buy it for $550?  I don't want to feel like I'm throwing my money away. 😞

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hi-just wanted to comment on a few things and I hope not to upset you-When I read your post I nearly linked up your other question to answer you-Kathie told you some very insightful things-

Have you researched 529 plans ??

What happens if your daughter wants  you to keep the dolls?

What happens if there is some accident and the dolls get damaged?

It's been my observation that if any toy says "collectable" the price tanks big time.

I am in your same boat thinking about college-I have two young boys but I would not put a dime of monies into toys for college investments.

Have a great day 🙂

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Wow, that was subtle, wasn't it? But just in case you didn't realize it, it's totally against the rules to advertise on the boards. So you might want to report your post before someone else does.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Aeris--Not telling you what or what not to do, but i would really think twice about buying Barbies as an investment to save/make money for your daughter's education.  So many Barbies over the years have lost their value.  Consider the risk.  Even putting $$ into a savings account may be safer then running the risk of spending $$$ now and only getting $ or $$ 12 years from now.  And as someone else mentioned, what if DD wants to keep her dolls or something happens to the dolls?  Just sayin'.....

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It must now be noted that my response below was directed at someone who posted advertising his listings (a post that has since been removed). It was not directed at the OP, and I'm really not going crazy! 🙂

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I understand what you all are saying.

As far as my daughter 'keeping' the dolls when she gets older, well, that's a risk I know we'll have to work our way through but my daughter is very intelligent and we've sat down together and talked about the Barbies.  They are displayed in her room on high shelves that she could reach if she wanted to, but she knows and understands their value (or they'd of been opened a long time ago lol) and what they are going to be used for and she's actually looking forward to it.  She brags about it to the rest of our family, and she understands that once she's old enough, they are going to put her through college.

She has many other Barbies that she 'plays' with and I've been working on purchasing each of the same Barbies but buying them mint OUT of the box so she's not tempted to remove the ones in the box.

As for other savings... I've been researching different routes for years, since she was born.

I'm not trying to sound smug but I am very gifted when it comes to mathematics and each of those saving routes end up at the same place, with maybe enough to buy a used car except this one.

We don't have thousands of dollars to put away, her father is a simple farmer and we live off of the bare minimum but my kids deserve a good college just like everyone else.

Savings Accounts in my area require that you put away a certain amount each month, which there are months we're scrounging at the end so we might not have it, which in that case, the banks will take from our checkings.

There is no growth in Bonds anymore, if you put away $25 for a $50 bond, you either wait the entire 18 years or you only get $25 back which means the bonds I got her on the same year of her birth are the only USEFUL bonds I could get.

With the market the way it is, CDs also contain barely any growth and they require a fairly large initial deposit and then yes, we've considered strictly college saving accounts, 529s, etc...

The Barbies we've collected are covered under our insurance if something were to happen to them so one way or another she'll get her college funds.

I'm not upset or anything by any comments, nor am I trying to sound mean myself, just trying to clarify a few things as to why we're going this way.  Collecting is at your own leisure, it doesn't require monthly payments so if we're having a hard month, we can take a break from trying to find them, and it's not like we're buying them at the highest prices either, we're always looking for a good deal so just in case the values do drop further, we weren't out anything more then that we paid.

And in all honestly, the Market did drop for the Holiday Barbies back in the mid 90s... Only the first few are highly valued and then you'd have to collect the rarer exclusive versions of each, which we have. 

The Holiday Barbies alone aren't going to pay her way through, I know that, we're also collecting different Platinum label Barbies and will all eventually add up. 🙂

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

You obviously have made up your mind, no matter what anyone says. This is in spite of those of us who have collected Barbies of all kinds for years, are very familiar with the state of the market, both current and historical.indicating that this is not the best idea for something as important as a college education. So all I can say is good luck, and I truly hope and pray this doesn't end as badly for you as I fear it will.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Kathie ~  I know you are not going crazy.  I saw the post you were/are referring to and it has since gone poof.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hey-c

I was online looking for the worth of my holiday Barbie's and ran across your post. I am trying to find the worth of my dolls to sell them. I was getting them every christmas from about 8 to 16 then lost interest, stupid me! LOL I'm 29 now, just moved and could use the cash and space they take up.  I found some information finally  on each doll and the source was reliable as I began to find the same worth numerous places. The dolls I have at least, 90' s, if they are in mint condition they avg around 60-250 dollars.. I wanted to see if you found more info and also ask you  about your experience buying the dolls. Im kind of freaked out because I see the dolls I have worth 200 on eBay  for 12 bucks and no bids! Did you discover anything that could help me out? Also, I think is great what your doing for your daughter as it was done for me and It was the xmas gift I waited for every year.If  She never sells them, the memories are amazing. As for me a bit worried on how to sell the dolls for at least half o and f their worth, clueless at this point!  Any new info on your end as a collector? Love to chat! You can reply or email me at ninaa1515@live.com.

Thanks A bunch!  Nina

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Holiday dolls have *not* held their value. A doll is not worth $200 because some book tells you it is; it's worth $200 because you can sell it for that. And 99% of the Holiday dolls won't sell for anything close to that. There is not a reference book out there (and I own most of them) that has accurate prices. Like it or not, eBay determines the price of Barbies, both new and vintage, in today's market. Look at it logically -- why would I want to pay $200 for a doll that I can buy for $12 on eBay. 

The Holiday dolls, with few exceptions, both were and are vastly overproduced. Enjoy them in your collection, but don't look for them to ever increase in price. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the cold, hard truth.

One other thing to mention -- posts on eBay boards are indexable by Google, which means your e-mail will be out there for the world, including every scammer out there, to see. I would suggest you might want to remove it.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I missed that post, but what about the link in the OP's posts about the cell phone cases? Isn't that advertising?

Sheila
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I'm late to this thread, but surely getting a second job and using that money to be put into a savings account would be a far better idea than spending the time and emotional energy we collectors spend- on something that may or may not (as many wise posters pointed out) come to fruition down the road.

FWIW, I bought a NFRB 1991 Holiday Barbie for $15 on Ebay not too long ago. The secondary market sucks- great for new collectors like me, though.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I just wanted to make a quick comment about insurance. The average homeowner's insurance does NOT cover things like doll collections. You have to buy a special premium to be covered. Everyone out there should call their insurance agent and verify whether or not your collection is covered. Do not assume that it will be covered because it probably will not.

Annette 😃
B-Girls for the Love of Vintage Barbie
Join us on Facebook!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Good suggestion, Annette!
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Go to Mattel's web site they list thier value and 1988mint never out box is 550 to $700
Message 15 of 16
latest reply