cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barbie in a kimono

Hi,

I recently picked up this Barbie in a kimono. and trying to find out more about her.  My only experience with Barbie was my bubblecut I had many years ago, so I need help.  Her hair is upswept in a bun, I assume was made like this? One ear is green, her fingers and toes are fine, her legs don't bend. She came in the box with a stand, has Japan on the bottom of one foot. I've been trying to figure out when she was made - I'm thinking 1960s but not sure exactly when.  I found a site for dating but they go by hairstyles, not sure my hairstyle would be considered a ponytail.

Any information would be appreciated.DSC03479.jpgDSC03480.jpgDSC03485.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Barbie in a kimono

It is  #6 ponytail from 1962-64....Mattel made a Japanese outfit but this is not it.....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Barbie in a kimono

Thank-you Sunkist! I didn't want to take her outfit off to look for a label, so this is probably a home made one. 

With her hair upswept, do you think she would have had a kimono on?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Barbie in a kimono

my guess is she came in the standard red swimsuit and her previous owner probably put her hair up...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Barbie in a kimono

Thanks again Sunkist! Someone directed me to another site and her butt marks are for #7 ponytail, 1963.  I didn't realize there were so many different types of Barbie.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Barbie in a kimono

Nope..a 7 would have the word "patented" on her butt..this one is a 6

Message 6 of 6
latest reply