cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return

Hello community, 

Im a new seller on eBay. I sold a pair of shoes and condition it’s showing clearly  on pictures and I have a no return policy.  Unless the item it’s not as advertised. Now the buyer want a refund. What should I do? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Return

@poisonivy267 

• Did the buyer file an Ebay Return Request?
  • If so, what reason did they give?
*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@poisonivy267 

According to your listings, Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Tell buyer to return for a refund.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@poisonivy267 

< What should I do? >    

First, try to get the buyer to pay for the return.  Do the same as you would if you accepted returns.  Tell the buyer "Return the shoes for a refund."  Sometimes they never get around to it.  If you receive them back, refund only the purchase price and not the shipping. 

If you refuse, the buyer could open a Not As Described dispute.  It doesn't matter if you have a million pictures in the listing, you can bank on eBay siding with the buyer.  Cooperate with the return.  If you dig in your heels, you could lose both the shoes and the money.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi @poisonivy267   If you want to make a success of selling on eBay, change your no returns policy.  It will only get you in trouble.  Mostly because new sellers think it means no refunds.  It does not.  To eBay it means that in case of a dispute, the seller does not want the item back.  If you fight your buyer on a return, eBay can step in and refund the buyer out of your money and let them keep the item.  The buyer ends up with both the money and the item.  Likely not what you had in mind when you chose no returns. 

Successful eBay sellers are committed to customer service and do not arm wrestle their buyers.  If a customer communicates an informal complaint about their item without filing an official eBay return, the seller's only response is I'm so sorry you're not happy with your item, please return it for a full refund.  As pointed out by @gosimus, often the problem ends right there because they never get around to pursuing it further.  If they file a formal eBay return, the seller's only response is to send a pre-paid return shipping label.   Often the matter ends there, because the buyer never gets around to re-packaging the item and taking it to the post office to return.  The labels are only paid for when used.  Good customer service works to the sellers advantage.  eBay wants sellers to offer a 30 day no-question-asked return policy, and would prefer 60 days.  It's a mystery why it still offers no returns as a listing option.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hello *Lady*madonna*,

The buyer emailed me, that the shoes have some cracks and that she wants her money back. I reply that the condition was showing in the pictures. She just reply back that now she sees the condition, but she didn't mention anything about a refund or I didn't received any email from ebay about any request. So I'm guessing she accepted the item. 

Thank you for your help,

Message 6 of 6
latest reply