Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

Need suggestions on buying a watch!

Need suggestions on buying a watch!

tx-shayndel
Scout
My nephew is graduating from college in June and I want to buy him a special gift for graduation. I know he likes vintage wristwatches and he has often admired my watch, a men's 1940s white gold Benrus from my grandfather. I really don't know much about watches and am pretty lost looking through the many offerings on eBay. I was hoping some of you experts might give me some suggestions regarding sturdy, reliable (and, frankly because my gift purse is rather limited, reasonably priced) makes of vintage men's watches. Also, what sort of things I should look for when buying a watch on eBay? I am not looking so much for name, as style, and I would like something handsome, retro, and, if possible, in gold. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks so much for your help!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES

Re: Need suggestions on buying a watch!

in reply to Mar 9, 2009 9:13:19 AM
afantiques
Rockstar
Could you name a figure. Some folks limited purse is other folks well stuffed wallet.

af
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 2 of 6

in reply to Mar 9, 2009 10:53:10 AM
tx-shayndel
Scout
I would like to keep the maximum range in $250 to $300, if possible. I have seen what look like nice watches go in that range on completed auctions, but then I know very little about watches.
Message 3 of 6

in reply to Mar 10, 2009 1:09:05 PM
crab783
Trailblazer
I'd look into the vintage named Hamiltons. There's a nice variety of styles and movements to choose from. Can't beat a workhorse 987 for reliability..

Forrest
Hey You....................................Who Me...
Message 4 of 6

in reply to Mar 11, 2009 11:10:36 AM
tx-shayndel
Scout
Thanks, I will check out Hamiltons. Any suggest6ions what I should look for, or avoid, when looking for watches? Also, how are Benrus watches? My grandfather's seems to be a really good, sturdy watch.
Message 5 of 6

in reply to Mar 11, 2009 3:18:22 PM
afantiques
Rockstar
Decent middle of the road watch from a time when a watch was more of a tool than a fashion statement. Almost certain still to be going strong when the latest carp has been discarded.

af
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 6 of 6