Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

DO NOT BUY ROUSSEAU WATCHES

bdoggprod
Enthusiast
I bought a Rousseau Watch last year for $60, and now, I have a worthless watch that I will use as a dart board. The watch didn't even last a year, and At Market, the parent company, will not honor their warranty! After sending them my watch and waiting 4 months for them to tell me it's not covered under their warranty, I am sending a complaint to the Better Business Bureau ASAP. If you check out the company, At Market on the BBB's website, you will already see they have complaints prior. A little history of At Market: they sell under several names on Ebay and Ubid.....Louis Bolle, SUG, Rousseau, etc. Their websites are all the same, check them out and go to the "contact" button and find out they are all "At Market". They are cheap watches made in China. They are not worth the thousands of dollars they tell you....they are worth less than $20 dollars. DO NOT BUY!!
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES

in reply to Jul 16, 2007 5:46:39 AM
jg321
Adventurer
An astonishing revelation. This is perhaps the biggest fraud in the history of horological marketing.

The BBB will no doubt marshal all it's resources and launch a multi-billion dollar investigation.
Message 2 of 30

in reply to Jul 16, 2007 9:45:10 AM
sirnewport
Enthusiast
So you thought you were actually getting a watch worth thousands of dollars for just $60.00????????

You thought that no one else who KNEW about watches was aware that these watches were available so far under their real value?

I suggest you get an economics text book or simple google "efficient markets theory."

I also suggest that you ask someone to explain to you the old adage "there is no free lunch."

Your purchase was foolish greed thinking you were "stealing" one of the valuable watches for a pittance. What goes around comes around huh? Google "karma" and learn about that one too.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you have abandoned reason in your life particularly if you done learn the $60.00 lesson Rousseau Watch has just taught you.
Message 3 of 30

in reply to Jul 16, 2007 12:18:29 PM
That Louis Bolle brand is also sold on a regular basis on one of the two cable TV shopping shows that sell watches. Can't remember which one however. I'd bet that years ago those guys wore leasure suits while they sold used cars at the start of their careers!
Message 4 of 30

in reply to Jul 16, 2007 12:30:47 PM
gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Actually the OP wasn't complaining that the watch wasn't worth thousands of dollars as advertised, but that the manufacturer doesn't honor their warranty and the watches are poorly made. I think he knew the watch wasn't worth a huge amount of money and the mention of the unrealistic claimed MSRP in the last line of his post was for the benefit of others considering these watches.

Frankly, I DO think the brands marketed by the company "At Market" deserve Federal Trade Commission investigation. Their sales practices of advertising an unrealistic MSRP on auctions and the company websites is a clear violation of FTC guidelines:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/decptprc.htm

In addition, their use of the term "Gold" in auction titles to describe a gold-tone watch violates eBay's policy on Jewelry and Precious Metals:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/jewelry.html

It also violates FTC § 23.4 :Misrepresentation as to gold content".

Greg
Message 5 of 30

in reply to Jul 21, 2007 1:06:12 AM
glo7269
Enthusiast
Oh yeah, these guys on Overstock, Ubid etc,
The funny part is that they actually link to 'decent' web sites that describe their ancient 'swiss' history and how they used to make them by candlelight in the alps!
If you read their websites, they are always a little 'off' and seem strange I always like it when on UBID, they say, MSRP 2200 US!! but u get it for 79 99 ! Has anyone ever seen one of these watches in an actual store for that price? Anywhere?
If not illegal or criminal, they are a little weasel-like, especially for people who aren't watch experts.
Message 6 of 30

in reply to Nov 13, 2007 12:58:58 PM
booklovergeorge
Enthusiast
I have to wonder why so many are quick to blame the victim ?
Message 7 of 30

in reply to Nov 13, 2007 2:46:56 PM
gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
George,

It should be obvious why people are so frustrated by "victims" who think they can buy a $2,000 item for $60 and then are surprised when the item arrives and it is worth $60. Buyers need to take a little responsibility for their own actions so they aren't such easy targets for scammers. Just a small amount of logical reasoning would end a lot of the problems before they begin.

I hate seeing people getting ripped off, but I also dislike buyers acting foolishly/recklessly and then expecting everyone to sympathize with their plight when things go wrong.

Greg
Message 8 of 30

in reply to Nov 13, 2007 8:05:14 PM
watchguysc
Enthusiast
I am new to e-bay, but I like unusual watches. I am aware that most of the mfg lists are bogus, but if the watch is automatic and has a quality look, I'll be a big spender and go for up to $25 bucks +. The ones I win at 8 or 9 bucks seem not much worse than what is sold at Walmart. Has anyone gone to the "Replica" watch sites? I have seen these watches in person next to the real thing and it is very dificult to tell the real one even if you open the back. I own a real Breitling and many times when I'm out, people remark on my watch. Inexpensive Watches are my way of having fun while bidding. There is no free lunch.
Message 9 of 30

in reply to Nov 13, 2007 8:33:39 PM
jadeblackhawk
Thrill-Seeker
Bdogg, I have to say, you must be very good at darts to use a watch as your board!

Levity aside, just because the movement in your watch died, if you really like the look of it, you can always see if you can find someone to put a higher quality quartz movement in it.

Doesn't have to be a big name or anything, just depends on why you bought the watch. If you bought it for the design, go for it. If not... well... live, learn, and buy a new watch. At least it wasn't a $2,000 counterfeit Rolex, right?
Message 10 of 30

in reply to Nov 13, 2007 11:09:09 PM
gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
"...higher quality quartz movement..."

Isn't that an oxymoron? :^O

Greg
Message 11 of 30

in reply to Nov 14, 2007 7:27:30 AM
jadeblackhawk
Thrill-Seeker
Yeah, I was just trying to stress the need for something that won't burn up in a few months.

I'd like to point him in the right direction, but... It's been at least ten years since I've worn quartz.
Message 12 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 11:41:05 AM
grtgrfx
Enthusiast
No, Greg, higher-quality quartz movement is not an oxymoron. Battery replacement annoyances aside, quartz watches are the most accurate timepieces you can buy, and it's an added gift to consumers that they are available in very inexpensive models as well as deluxe timepieces.

Any watch buyer who desires split-second accuracy over the long-term will prefer a quartz watch to a mechanical model. Anything else only reflects the vanity of the owner.

That said, I like automatic watches from better brands. They're attractive and reflect excellent mechanical engineering. But I know they won't keep accurate time as well as my quartz watches do.
Message 13 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 12:30:30 PM
jacketwatch
Scout
Not necessarily. The most accurate watches I have are solar powered atomic watches. Also I do wonder if some autos will keep better time that some quartz watches. Why? I had an Omega GMT which of course was auto and it keep incredibly good time. I mean it was off by a few seconds only over long periods of time such as 5-6 weeks. I would think some lower end quartz watches would be challenged to be that accurate. I no longer have that watch but do have an auto Omega SMP and it keeps great time too. As of the last time I checked it was two secs. fast for 4 days. It would be interesting to compare this over say two months to say a $15.00 quartz from Walgreens.
Message 14 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 12:33:49 PM
jadeblackhawk
Thrill-Seeker
Quartz watches should lose about 1 second every million years (or something like that. It's a long time anyway.)... I'd say that's pretty accurate.
Message 15 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 1:10:50 PM
gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
Didn't anyone notice the "smiley" emoticon after my statement? It was a post made in jest, but everyone (especially grtgrfx) seems to have taken it seriously. I'm going to have to stop making jokes, because everone is so serious.

The response, stating that vintage mechanical collecting is motivated solely by "vanity", is also inaccurate. Besides insulting a lot of mechanical collectors with a statement like that, the reasoning is also flawed. Timekeeping has become a secondary function of a watch today and quartz watches aren't the most accurate and efficient timekeepers available to us. Accurate timekeeping devices are ubiquitous in our daily lives. You'll find time functions today in virtually electronic device around us, from cell phones to MP3 players, from microwave ovens to car dashboard clocks and GPS guidance systems. Some of these devices even reference atomic clock signals and are much more accurate timekeepers than quartz. They even adjust for daylight savings time and shift timezones automatically when we travel. One could argue that purchasing a wristwatch of any kind as a timekeeper is redundant and unnecessary.

So, if watches are unnecessary as a timekeeping device, what motivates us to purchase them? Most people don't even recognize the brands I wear, so vanity definitely doesn't enter into the equation. I'm sure that everyone is motivated to collect for different reasons, but for me, the attraction is the art and beauty of the machine. I marvel at the skilled hands that are able to craft the tiny wheels and apply the elaborate hand finishing. To me, a mechanical watch is a piece of wearable art that brings me pleasure. I just don't find that same pleasure and satisfaction in a mass-produced quartz movement, no matter how it is packaged and marketed. Others will disagree and are motivated by different things. That's OK.

Greg
Message 16 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 1:23:10 PM
jacketwatch
Scout
"Quartz watches should lose about 1 second every million years (or something like that. It's a long time anyway.)... I'd say that's pretty accurate."
:^O
Message 17 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 1:56:33 PM
gregoryswatches
Trailblazer
I'm not sure where the "one second every million years" quote was found, but it's wildly inaccurate. A typical quartz watch will gain or lose about 1/2 second per day. There's a good write-up on this subject at:

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml

Greg
Message 18 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 2:09:45 PM
jimscustomfurniture
Thrill-Seeker
The quote above applies to atomic clocks, not quartz watches.

People collect vintage watches for similar reasons that people collect art: the beauty; the thought, work and skill of the maker; the appreciation of finer things, etc. Certainly, one doesn't need a vintage mechanical watch because, as Greg pointed out, we are surrounded by sources of time and those sources tend to be much more accurate. And, if you are careful about what you collect (i.e., the beautiful Omega Greg just sold), vintage watches can go up in value a lot.
Message 19 of 30

in reply to Dec 5, 2007 2:43:40 PM
jadeblackhawk
Thrill-Seeker
The quote above applies to atomic clocks, not quartz watches.

I read so much, sometimes it's hard to keep it straight... I just clearly remember about the million years... but hey, I'm not being tested on this! (Am I?!)

I don't buy watches to tell time, I buy them because they're beautiful, the same reason I appreciate classic cars, antique glass, etc... If I want to know what time it is, I have a cell phone.
Message 20 of 30