cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

VINTAGE FISHING LURE IDENTIFICATION HELP NEEDED

VINTAGE FISHING LURE IDENTIFICATION HELP NEEDED

I was told that this lure was made by Horrocks & Ibbotson I can find no marking indicating that also looked on several search sites with no luck could anyone out there help me.

Message 1 of 18
MEASURE.jpg
a.jpg
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: VINTAGE FISHING LURE IDENTIFICATION HELP NEEDED

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 2:01:13 AM
slippinjimmy
Rockstar

There are a few very similar ones currently listed on eBay. In addition to the Horrocks Ibbotson name the listing also have Abbey Imbrie.

One difference between your and the ones that I saw,  the front is essentially identical but the tail on yours is different. Yours has an actual tail while the opnes I saw listed are just cone shaped at the tail end. I don't know much about vintage lures but I'd guess yours is much older.

I know one thing about vintage lures, if they are truly rare they will get bids, especially if you offer them internationally. That's were the really serious collectors are.

Message 2 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 12:13:51 PM
dktoss
Trailblazer

@slippinjimmy wrote:

It's amazing what some of these lures go for!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-/180001/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_sop=3

Most of the high dollar ones were at a live auction.

Anyone want to keep repeating that auctions are dead?

Message 6 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 5:42:02 PM
klassic*kids
Guide

I really love this. Admittedly I know nothing about fishing lures, but my father is a long-time, very active fisherman. His finished basement shows a lot of his catches.  Some big fish are stuffed or in some way preserved in appearance, they hang on the wall, the rest of the wall is filled with pictures of him and his buddies fishing and hunting throughout the years.

I think this vintage lure  would make for a fantastic, unique Father's Day gift.  I think he would really like.  Though I am having difficulty in imagining how this could displayed.  Do most people them in some sort of shadow box?  I am very interested if I could only imagine how they are shown. Thanks.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 7 of 18
17 REPLIES

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 2:01:13 AM
slippinjimmy
Rockstar

There are a few very similar ones currently listed on eBay. In addition to the Horrocks Ibbotson name the listing also have Abbey Imbrie.

One difference between your and the ones that I saw,  the front is essentially identical but the tail on yours is different. Yours has an actual tail while the opnes I saw listed are just cone shaped at the tail end. I don't know much about vintage lures but I'd guess yours is much older.

I know one thing about vintage lures, if they are truly rare they will get bids, especially if you offer them internationally. That's were the really serious collectors are.

Message 2 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 11:33:29 AM

Thank you for your response the tail is what is throwing me off like you said all the ones I have seen have the cone shape tail (I was told that this one is extremely rare and sought after lure). When doing Google search all I have found is that Horrocks / Ibbotson were known for their fly rods. I posted the picture on a face book site for vintage lures and have had two people tell me that it is a Horrocks / Ibbotson lure and said to look under Abbey / Imbrie also. My fear is to list it as such and it turns out that it is not, I do not want to misrepresent the product even thou I am listing it as is. I feel that the photographs shows the true condition of the lure and I will state in listing that they need to look at the photograph for details of the actual lure and hope that the person or persons know what they are bidding on.

Message 3 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 11:43:45 AM
slippinjimmy
Rockstar

I saw dozens of listings that use both  Horrocks / Ibbotson and Abbey / Imbrie.

There is some information at this page:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=zY8vsd9Q_BUC&pg=PA249&lpg=PA249&dq=Horrocks+/+Ibbotson+and+Abbey+/+...

I didn't read the entire thing but it sounds as if A/I was owned by or sold by H/I (or vice versa).

Personally I wouldn't worry about it and just use both names. I'm sure serious buyers will know what it is.

FYI - A few years ago somebody posted, they were selling a similar old lure, they got an offer to end the Auction early that was Hundreds of Dollars higher than the current high bid. Seller was advised to let it run, the buyer who made the offer (a JHapanese collector) won in the end and paid more than double their original offer. Around $1400 if I remember correctly (it did have the original box as well as the lure which makes a huge difference).

Message 4 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 11:48:37 AM
slippinjimmy
Rockstar

Message 5 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 12:13:51 PM
dktoss
Trailblazer

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Most of the high dollar ones were at a live auction.

Anyone want to keep repeating that auctions are dead?

Message 6 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 5:42:02 PM
klassic*kids
Guide

I really love this. Admittedly I know nothing about fishing lures, but my father is a long-time, very active fisherman. His finished basement shows a lot of his catches.  Some big fish are stuffed or in some way preserved in appearance, they hang on the wall, the rest of the wall is filled with pictures of him and his buddies fishing and hunting throughout the years.

I think this vintage lure  would make for a fantastic, unique Father's Day gift.  I think he would really like.  Though I am having difficulty in imagining how this could displayed.  Do most people them in some sort of shadow box?  I am very interested if I could only imagine how they are shown. Thanks.

Message 7 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 6:19:20 PM
labs118
Rockstar

@resikdee wrote:

Oh my husband has a foyer filled with lures, Poles, Pictures.Lake maps & more
He even gets a fish theme small Christmas tree in the foyer.
Here is a picture of part of his large display. box this is 4 foot high & filled with lures.
He has oak shelves with lures in the opened boxes. there are so many ways to display themfish.jpg

Message 8 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 6:25:25 PM
klassic*kids
Guide

WOW!  That is really awesome.  Where did he acquire so many of these lures? ... ebay?  And he has the original boxes ... just wow!

The idea of that he gets a fisher themed small Christmas tree is so cute.

I'm thinking if I get on I'll place it in a small shadow box wherein he could display it on a shelf.

Message 9 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 6:51:26 PM
labs118
Rockstar

@resikdee wrote:

WOW!  That is really awesome.  Where did he acquire so many of these lures? ... ebay?  And he has the original boxes ... just wow!

The idea of that he gets a fisher themed small Christmas tree is so cute.

I'm thinking if I get on I'll place it in a small shadow box wherein he could display it on a shelf.

Sorry but did the pictue come out. Maybe my computer but I am only seeing a small portion of the picture. You saw the lures & boxes?
Well he grew up salt water fishing in Seaside Park NJ. I grew up fresh water fishing in PA
We now do both & love it so thru the years at sales we purchased a lot of them.
I did get him a few rare ones here on ebay.
Some old fisherman friends gave him some.
It has taken years but the foyer is filled to the max. Fits the theme of where we live.
We live at a large Lake in Northern NJ.
I think if you get your father in law an old lure & a display case it would be just a great gift.
Start keepng your eye out for something now.

Message 10 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 7:09:51 PM
klassic*kids
Guide

I'm in NJ as well.  My parents were both NJ natives as well.  Vast majority of my familylives in NJ.

Message 11 of 18

in reply to Jan 6, 2016 11:44:33 PM

Slippinjimmy 

I ran up to a part of new York where I met a man who is a hard core collector he was able to with no doubt identify the lure for me. It turns out that it is a ABBIE & IMBRIE "Go-Getter" FISHING LURE  as you had said it had a posibilty of being it was made between the years of 1930's to 1950's but cannot pin the exact year, he did say the ones that I have was considered a better one because of the carved tail. Most of them were coned shape.after seeing his collection I know this guy knows his lures he had one identical to the one I had but in better shape all his lures are in shadow boxes and are behind glass. I was thinking that if he paid what some of the vintage lures go for that his collection has to be in the hundred of thousands.

Message 12 of 18

in reply to Jan 7, 2016 4:50:50 AM
dktoss
Trailblazer

My brother does the same thing. I've given him many over the years to display.

Since he likes ice fishing, I gave him a pair of 1910-1920's rectangular bamboo ice fishing rods w/reels, salesman samples, in a wood carrying case that I picked up for a song. They would have brought great money at a serious auction, but hey - he's my brother.

Message 13 of 18

in reply to Jan 7, 2016 5:11:03 AM
labs118
Rockstar

@dktoss wrote:

Since he likes ice fishing, I gave him a pair of 1910-1920's rectangular bamboo ice fishing rods w/reels, salesman samples, in a wood carrying case that I picked up for a song. They would have brought great money at a serious auction, but hey - he's my brother.

Very nice.
I know what you mean about some things bringing serious money, I think a lot of us have something that would bring great money but I prefer to see someone I care about have that something as well.
Collecting is such fun , but I have to stop because my house is to full  Smiley Happy
That was very nice to give the rods to your brother.

@dktoss wrote:

Message 14 of 18

in reply to Apr 10, 2016 10:43:07 PM
nancy*things
Adventurer

I am also AMAZED at the popularity of vintage lures and the price they can fetch. I have a collection of one old wooden lure that I'm quite sure will make my caviar dreams come true someday. Unfortunately, I'm a bit color blindand more than a bit ADD. So, despite a painstaking effort, I have not been able to identify the lure.  I am enclosing some photos hoping that one or more of you might be able to help me out.

Thanks for looking,

Nancy.

Unidentified Wooden Nest Egg ?DSCN4986.JPGDSCN4985.JPGDSCN4987.JPG

Message 15 of 18

in reply to Apr 12, 2016 12:33:49 AM
elfudmer
Adventurer

@nancy*things  It looks like a Creek Chub Injured Minnow to me nancy.

Message 16 of 18

in reply to Apr 12, 2016 10:36:39 AM
nancy*things
Adventurer

Thanks!

Message 17 of 18

in reply to Aug 14, 2016 7:07:30 AM
min0128
Enthusiast
Just a little more info for your Abbey/ Horrocks history. Abbey& Imbrie of New York,New York sold the business to Horrocks Ibbotson of UticaNY in late 1930. Horrocks produced rods n reels, they're lures were produced by other companies and sold with Horrocks name. However, after they purchased from Abbey...they continued to sell under Abbey name for some time. I do believe ShureStrike and Paw Paw were two major producers of Horrocks lures. The lure here looks to be a Paw Paw style production . Their Caster bait is quite similar.
Message 18 of 18