Archive Shipping & Returns
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Re: USPS Sticker "Received in damaged condition".

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 7:27:14 AM

Chargebacks are a last resort.  You have other channels.   A good seller will respond quickly and admit his error and refund.

Message 21 of 41

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 9:04:21 AM
Rockstar

10whiskers wrote:

On the bright side and the reason I'm keeping it, is because the item would have been near mint, but I

can fix most of it and hide the rest.  It's in better, collector's, shape than some other vintage lamps I've bought

of this kind.  Plus, it is a match to another I have, as I was hoping, only this one is in better. 

Since you have no problem with keeping your purchase and fixing it,

I don't know what to do about feedback. 

Message 22 of 41

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 9:08:36 AM
Rockstar

boy, don't know what happed to that reply.  wonky just like a lot of things with the boards recently.

desdam wrote:

10whiskers wrote:

On the bright side and the reason I'm keeping it, is because the item would have been near mint, but I

can fix most of it and hide the rest.  It's in better, collector's, shape than some other vintage lamps I've bought

of this kind.  Plus, it is a match to another I have, as I was hoping, only this one is in better. 

Since you have no problem with keeping your purchase and fixing it,

I don't know what to do about feedback. 

Message 23 of 41

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 9:10:45 AM
Rockstar

still wonky. 

i give up.

wish Lithium would give us the preview feature so we can see the post before its posted.

my reply is at the bottom of the quote.

Message 24 of 41

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 11:21:27 AM
a_c_green
Rockstar
Last Edited 11:22:21 AM

desdam wrote:

wish Lithium would give us the preview feature so we can see the post before its posted.

Um, I'm looking at a Preview tab right now, in my Reply editing window.

Use the Reply instead of the Quick Reply, and you'll get more useful options...

(Also, after posting, there is an Edit Reply option available to you for post-posting fixups. I'm using it here to add this line.)

Message 25 of 41

in reply to Aug 21, 2013 12:36:16 PM
Rockstar
Amen to that. The boards without preview blow.
Message 26 of 41

in reply to Aug 29, 2013 6:10:40 AM
jacobsghost
Thrill-Seeker

there is a preview

Guard Against The Imposturers Of Pretended Freedom
Message 27 of 41

in reply to Aug 29, 2013 6:21:50 AM
vintagebaubles
Thrill-Seeker

I would still contact the seller, probably with one or two photos attached, so that he/she knows there was a problem with it, possibly due to the way it was packed. I would nicely explain the damage, but also explain that you do not want to return it, but can fix it.

Now, I'm sure some sellers will disagree with me here, since the automatic assumption these days when a buyer asks for a partial refund is that they're trying to scam the seller and/or get the item for less money even if there's not really damage. But, I see no harm in asking very nicely if the seller can do something for you simply to partially reimburse you for having to repair the item. Don't demand (you sound like a very nice buyer, so I'm sure you wouldn't), but simply ask. If the seller takes offense and says no, just return it for a refund, explain again that you will keep and repair it, and you understand if he/she doesn't wish to offer a partial refund.

I don't know what good this broken lamp will do the seller if you return it, and giving a partial refund is better than him/her having to refund you the entire purchase price and original shipping. But some sellers assume the buyer is trying extortion if they ask for a partial refund to reimburse for a legitimate reason.

It's too bad the seller/buyer relationship has gotten so adversarial, with nobody trusting anyone else. Thanks, eBay....

Message 28 of 41

in reply to Aug 29, 2013 8:13:05 AM
Rockstar

How

Message 29 of 41

in reply to Aug 29, 2013 9:26:42 AM
momaneye
Adventurer

desdam---

Dont refus package as it will void your buyer protection.

If box is unopened you can put "return to sender" and take to PO;
the tracking should continue with the same number,

Duh   "refuse" and "return to sender" are the same thing!   The "tracking" will be the same number

Message 30 of 41

in reply to Aug 29, 2013 7:55:53 PM
julie36
Adventurer

To the OP - before a feedback exchange, I'd do what you mentioned and message the seller to let them know that the package arrived damaged, that the PO had acknowledged that fact with the "damaged" tape during processing, and that you are going to keep the item.  It is their responsibility to pack adequately and they need to be given the opportunity to know when they fail at this.  Pictures are a good idea.  Unless you are set on getting a partial or full refund, don't mention money.  The seller doesn't owe you anything if you keep the item, but many sellers will give back some of the purchase price under these circumstances.  Gauge your feedback with their response (hopefully you will get one).

Message 31 of 41

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:13:37 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

I don't know where I saw it, but I think I can only post one picture per post, so out of nearly 50 pics, I'll post the ones I think I'll probably send the seller. I have only the damage to the top portion of the lamp.  The motor/pump ones didn't come out well.

Damaged Sticker:

Message 32 of 41
100_2341.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:16:02 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

The box the rain lamp came in.  It looks as though they tried to make a box out of two.

Message 33 of 41
100_2369.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:19:49 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

Peeking into the box. I started with what I thought would be the "good end " I was horrified to see how little packing there was.

Message 34 of 41
100_2374.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:24:42 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

Measured the box. It's less than the usps said.  It may have been the "smooshed end, though."

Message 35 of 41
100_2426.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:25:19 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer
Last Edited 02:27:54 PM

The usps gives the dimensions. Or, I guess, Paypal? I haven't used paypal's printouts. It's been awaile since I've sold anything.

Message 36 of 41
100_2435.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:29:57 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

The bottom measurements of the undamaged bottom part of the lamp.  The damaged top piece is the same size.

Message 37 of 41
100_2393.JPG

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:30:16 PM
waffles202011
Thrill-Seeker
Last Edited 02:32:23 PM

Even though it was damaged because of poor packing, yet your happy with the purchase and can fix or hide the damage.  Why not contact the seller to let them know what happened and that it was damaged because of poor packing.  Add pictures to back yourself up.   Let the seller respond but before they do make up your own mind on what feedback and what your going to post for it before you hear back from them.   That way your feedback is not directed towards how they respond.   Since you are happy with the purchase despite the damage.

Given his/her current feedback and the other negative left, and the buyer had a low feedback it's hard to say.  Some buyers that are new are good while others are bad.  It's a toss up.

Leave the seller a positive, but be honest in the feedback comment.  State it was damaged in shipping because of poor packing.  If the seller shipped quickly state that as well.  It's the truth but would have been nice if the seller packed it better and it arrived as it left the seller or close to that.

Another option is a neutral. 

If your ticked off mad, leave a negative.  But personally I don't like to leave a negative unless I absolutely have to!   But that is just me.  I know what it does to a seller rep and I also know how the PO handles packages. 

But even the best packaged packages can be damaged by the postal service so it's hard to say how it was handled.  Would it have still arrived damaged or even less damaged if it was packed better?

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
never approach a bull from the front,
never approach a horse from the rear
and never approach a fool from any direction
~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
I am a buyer and a seller (on sellers account since 2004) so I am here to help others when I can and learn from others when there is something that I don't know.
Message 38 of 41

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:35:19 PM
waffles202011
Thrill-Seeker

WOW given the pictures on the listing, I would have expected more padding and packing materials myself as well.   I would have thought it should have at least been bubble wrapped from one end to the other and up one side and down the other.  Add a few more wraps for good measure..........   Then put in a box larger than the bubble wrapped item and add more bubble wrap to protect it from bouncing around.

I could have figured that much out and I don't even buy or sell fragile items on the net.......

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
never approach a bull from the front,
never approach a horse from the rear
and never approach a fool from any direction
~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
I am a buyer and a seller (on sellers account since 2004) so I am here to help others when I can and learn from others when there is something that I don't know.
Message 39 of 41

in reply to Sep 4, 2013 2:35:42 PM
10whiskers
Adventurer

And finally, the damaged top.  I'm sick, really.  As I mentioned before, this was a perfect match to the one I was hoping I'd make a pair for.  I don't have a clue as to what the seller is going to say.  I don't really know what I'm going to say.  I'm still so upset.  I did, however, fix the motor for the pump. And what to do about feedback.  I think most will agree this damage was do to poor packing.  I don't think the seller would receive any money from the insurance.

Message 40 of 41
100_2385.JPG