International Buyer Scam - eBay Seller Protection is as real as unicorns

eva-bo-beva
Scout

Here is how EBAY Buyers abroad get FREE STUFF

International Shipping Scam tolerated by EBAY BUYER PROTECTION

HERE IS HOW THE SCAM STARTS

• Seller places item on EBAY

• International Buyer (Mexico) wins item and pays for item plus S&H

• You print international postage and custom forms from EBAY and get a tracking number starting with two letters and followed by numbers

• You Ship item thru USPS

LOOK AND BEWARE

• USPS accepts item

• Item makes it to Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)

• NOW USPS Tracking number stops here

• Tracking numbers that starts with letters do not require scanning or tracking by destination Country Postal Service

• Item is now en route to destination

HERE IS THE SCAM

• Buyer waits a couple of weeks

• Buyer places a claim with EBAY RESOLUTION CENTER stating he/she did not receive item even if they did receive the item in question

• EBAY Resolution Center contact Seller to provide USPS Tracking Number, which in most cases they already have, SINCE YOU PURCHASED YOUR LABEL THROUGH EBAY (!)

• Tracking Number shows final destination as “Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)”

• EBAY Resolution Center will never receive a tracking confirmation from destination and will never receive proof of delivery even if item has arrived to destination.

• Case is closed in FAVOR of Buyer because tracking number cannot be accounted for after arriving at “Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)”

• Buyer gets back FULL amount they paid PLUS S&H (!)

• Buyer Gets Items for FREE and All Money Back

• Seller is out of Item and Money

• EBAY Resolution Center answer to this is that Seller should have had the item insured and registered, even though common sense would say the BUYER should assume risk of choosing not to request insurance and other safeguards when buying internationally.

• EBAY Resolution Center does not have any connection to the shipping process that is “conveniently” located on it's website. • Tracking number is absolutely USELESS

• EBAY BUYER PROTECTION will close claim on BUYERS FAVOR knowing this SCAM is HAPPENING

• USPS do not have any mechanism in place for you to file a CLAIM for stuff sold internationally if you ship via first class mail or any Priority Flat Rate options.

• Seller is SCREWED.

• Eva-bo-beva Lost $104.95 and is out the item.

• Eva-bo-beva is a single mother with mouths to feed and bills to pay.

DO NOT BE THE NEXT VICTIM

Just happened to me. I didn't realize Buyer Protection has become so corrupt. I did not know that the seller is considered responsible for an item UNTIL it reaches the buyer. HOW CAN A SELLER BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING!?! That makes absolutely no sense. And I can't even find where to appeal the decision in this case, eBay tells you where to go, but the link simply IS NOT THERE.

How can eBay exist without its sellers? I think I will start selling exclusively on Etsy.

Message 1 of 134
133 REPLIES

Re: International Buyer Scam - eBay Seller Protection is as real as unicorns

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 10:55:13 AM
zcmi11
Rockstar

I am sorry this happened.

I can't tell if there is a kink somewhere where this could have been avoided. There are routinely posts of this nature on here.

The reason I do not ship internationally is not because it is a hassle. It is because I lack the experience selling internationally. I am a small casual seller and would not know how to incorporate that kind of risk into my final item price.

Message 2 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:02:52 AM
takikawa4
Rockstar

@eva-bo-beva wrote:

Just happened to me. I didn't realize Buyer Protection has become so corrupt. I did not know that the seller is considered responsible for an item UNTIL it reaches the buyer. HOW CAN A SELLER BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING!?! That makes absolutely no sense. And I can't even find where to appeal the decision in this case, eBay tells you where to go, but the link simply IS NOT THERE.

How can eBay exist without its sellers? I think I will start selling exclusively on Etsy.

Tell me this. You buy something online. You don't receive the item. Seller tells you too bad because they aren't responsible for shipping. How do you feel about losing your money?

Had you bothered to take the time to learn about selling here on eBay, you could have avoided this problem.

Message 3 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:08:24 AM
casey768
Trailblazer

I am sorry for your loss.

As a single mother with mouths to feed and bills to pay,you should read Ebay seller protection carefully,esp when you ship overseas.

There is not always  tracking for first class mail once it leaves USA,like USPS always said,they dont own the foreign postal system,they cant dictate what they do and they cant do.

There are a few countries with there is E DECON,eletronic delivery confirmation,you should find out if Mexico is one of them on USPS website.

Mexico,brazil,Russia,India,etc are not good place to ship to,poor postal sevice and scams galore.

Your tracking stopped at LA?,not Mexico at your buyer city,there is no proof if your buyer receives the item,may be he did,may be he did not,Mexico always has high postal theft rate.

You should have bought insurance for that kind of money,but it looks like you did not.

Be careful next time,follow the rules/

If ebay sides with you and your buyer lost,she could always go to her cc issuer and file a charge back.

Message 4 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:13:49 AM
casey768
Trailblazer

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

you did not know that the seller is considered responsible for an item UNTIL it reaches the buyer?

This is mail order business rule 101,where have you been?

Etsy is the same,you are responsible for delivering the item to the buyer in good condition,if it arrives broken,you are responsible,so buy insurance for your own protection and peac of mnd.

On ETSY,if you accept Paypal,you get dispute of item not received,if you accept credit card thru Etsy,you get chargeback,if you accept xtransfer or money order,you get Etsy on your back !if you dont comply ,they could shut down your shop  

Message 5 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:21:17 AM
casey768
Trailblazer

Tracking Number shows final destination as “Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)”

• EBAY Resolution Center will never receive a tracking confirmation from destination and will never receive proof of delivery even if item has arrived to destination.

• Case is closed in FAVOR of Buyer because tracking number cannot be accounted for after arriving at “Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer does not live in  Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA ,she lives in Mexico,so how can proof of delivery to LA be proof your buyer has received the item?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EBAY Resolution Center will never receive a tracking confirmation from destination and will never receive proof of delivery even if item has arrived to destination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ebay wil receive tracking confirmation if you ship USPS priority box (medium and large) or UPS or Fed Exp to Mexico,it would cost more so you should have ask for more for shipping to Mexico

Message 6 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:28:02 AM
eva-bo-beva
Scout

Nowhere did I say that she has proof of delivery - but there also is proof of acceptance of the package and that I did what I was supposed to do, and there is nothing that proves it was not delivered either.  I shipped via Priority Mail, but apparently you can't file a claim when it is a "flat rate" package, which is what mine was.  I had two shipping options listed for the buyer, she chose the cheaper, less reliable one, therefore she should have to assume the risk, not me.  I do not agree with eBays policy to hold the seller responsible for a package in transit, how can a person possibly control that?

Message 7 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:35:06 AM
eva-bo-beva
Scout

That's on me for not reading the fine print - regardless I do not agree with the policy.  I am not Nordstrom, I am a person who sell stuff on eBay for a little extra money.  I don't make any garantees when it comes to shipping - I do the best I can in regards to what is in my control.  I package items very securely and ensure the address is correct, how can I possibly be held responsible for what happens to a package in transit??  The buyer chose the cheaper, less reliable shipping option, therefore THE BUYER should have to assume the risk, not me.  She could have chosen the better option, but was trying to save a few bucks.

No sense in people being mean, I am just trying to educate others, and hopefully keep another person from suffering the same hardship as I have.  I do believe this is a scam that certain countries are aware of.  They know the tracking info will not be updated and they take advantage of that.  May be what has happened in this case, may not be.  I have edited my shipping preferences and will only ship to very trusted international destinations from here on out.

On another note, what happens if or when the tracking info finally states the item was delivered?  Do you think eBay will have my back then?

Message 8 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:41:18 AM
timetochow
Trailblazer

I JUST READ YOUR THREAD,

what kind of proof of acceptance do you have?

It has to show 'delivered' in Mexico.

Seller is responsible to deliver the item to the buyer,if the shipper fails you,then you may want to switch to another shipper,like USP/Fed Exp instead of USPS.

if the way you shipped is not good enough to protect you from item not received,then consider another way t o ship.like stay with USPS but use USPS priority large or medium box or priority intl guarantee,or ship first class but buy insurance with a third party provider ..

With Brazil,many sellers ship USPS priority but it sits in customs for weeks or months,and seller lost dispute of item not received since tracking does not say delivered !sitting in LA sort facility,sitting in foreign country customs are not 'delivered;.

Avoid countries like MEXICO,ARGENTINA,BRAZIL,RUSSIA,PAKISTAN,INDIA ,UKRAINE if you dont want to lose your shirt,I am sorry for your loss

Message 9 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 11:47:12 AM
timetochow
Trailblazer

On another note, what happens if or when the tracking info finally states the item was delivered?  Do you think eBay will have my back then?

///////////

as far as Ebay is concern,the case is closed,probably closed by a robot,it would not go back and check what next?

If your buyer is honest ,she could refund you,if she has taken weeks to file dispute,it may be that she did not receive the item,else she would have filed earlier if she is a scammer,you dont know?/

You said you shipped USPS priority envelope,there is no further update after it left this country.

I sent a small USPS priority box to family overseas,the last scan is Chicago sort facilty,there is no more tracking,I will only find out when my sister let me know she has received the package.

always take out insurance if you cant afford the loss.

Third party insurer like U-PIC does not insure Peru,not sure abou mexico

Message 10 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 12:35:20 PM
takikawa4
Rockstar
Last Edited 12:38:05 PM

Doesn't matterr if you're a big chain store or an individual selling on eBay. It is still YOUR responsibility that the item your buyer paid for gets to him. Doesn't matter if the buyer choses the cheaper option; you, as the seller, had to offer it to begin with or at least agree to ship via that method. Again, that's on YOU.

So you'd be okay if you paid for an item, the seller sends it out, and when you don't receive it the seller just tells you "not my responsibility"? Somehow I doubt that.

I'm sorry this sounds a bit harsh. But it is so easy to find out what you need to do to protect yourself as a seller. So many just don't bother to learn and then complain about it. And whether or not you agree with the policy is irrelevant. The policy is what it is. Either comply or get burned.

Message 11 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 12:49:37 PM
timetochow
Trailblazer

nest time add a few dollars for insurance to your shipping fee.

Message 12 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 1:45:25 PM
emblems!
Adventurer

Question?  If there is no tracking to prove that it was delivered or not delivered, how are you going to prove loss of product to the insurance people to make a claim?  Aren't they going to want some proof before they pay out?

Message 13 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 1:51:25 PM
green-night
Rockstar

Question?  If there is no tracking to prove that it was delivered or not delivered, how are you going to prove loss of product to the insurance people to make a claim?  Aren't they going to want some proof before they pay out?

3rd party insurers will pay a claim ESPECIALLY if there is no tracking / proof of delivery.  You typically have to show proof of shipment.  If tracking goes dead (which for many countries the last scan the package will get is when it leaves the US), the insurers will pay the claim.  

Message 14 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 2:03:12 PM
advhydphil
Adventurer
It's that or they return an empty box no items I'm out 2 Jensen speakers and 187.50. Ebay and Paypal no help at all.
Message 15 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 3:19:00 PM
timetochow
Trailblazer

@emblems! wrote:

I deal with U-PIC,it wants to see the item listing,it wants your buyer to fill out a form and sign it,and proof of shipping,not receiving so a shipping label is good enough.

If an item is lost or stolen,there is no delivery confirmation,thats what insurance is for,so you just have to prove you sold the item and you have shipped the item and the buyer must sign the affadavit.

now some buyers are crooks,they refuse to sign or they are old fashion and no way to download the form you attached with email and print and sign and email you back,so you have t o mail them a form and for overseas buyer it is a pain,

For shipinsurance,which comes when you print EBAY label,it is easier,you have to find out how it works on Ebay.   

Message 16 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 3:23:00 PM
timetochow
Trailblazer

@advhydphil wrote:
It's that or they return an empty box no items I'm out 2 Jensen speakers and 187.50. Ebay and Paypal no help at all.

There seems  to be many cases of buyers getting free goods,not by claiming item not received as tracking shows it was received,but item not described and return empty box or  a box of rocks.

some sellers who come to this forum have lost gold coins,gold jewelry,cameras,even A/C shipped in 3 pellets and used ice making machine?

what next?The London Bridge,the Giza Pyramid,the White House?? 

Message 17 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 5:41:47 PM
ahhcheew
Adventurer
Sorry about your problem. Something similar happened to me also and I was out $350 plus the items so basically $700. eBay (PayPal) requires the tracking to show delivered at the destination. First-Class Tracking only tracks right up to the point it leaves the country. UNLESS you ship to these certain countries:
Australia
Belgium
Brazil*
Canada
Croatia
Denmark*
Estonia
Finland
France*
Germany
Gibraltar*
Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Hungary
Israel
Italy*
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg*
Malaysia
Malta
Netherlands
New Zealand
Portugal*
Singapore
Spain
Switzerland

Then there IS tracking all the way. You can use Either First-Class or Priority International to ship to these countries and you will be covered because there is tracking all the way to the destination. If the country the buyer is located in is NOT on that list you must ship via USPS Priority Express. Although it is a bit expensive it is the only way you will be protected 100%.
Message 18 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 6:07:02 PM
green-night
Rockstar

If the country the buyer is located in is NOT on that list you must ship via USPS Priority Express. Although it is a bit expensive it is the only way you will be protected 100%

If you think you are 100% protected by shipping Express, think again.  

Message 19 of 134

in reply to Nov 6, 2014 8:08:03 PM
herbalgarden
Guide

@eva-bo-beva wrote:

Here is how EBAY Buyers abroad get FREE STUFF

International Shipping Scam tolerated by EBAY BUYER PROTECTION

HERE IS HOW THE SCAM STARTS

• Seller places item on EBAY

• International Buyer (Mexico) wins item and pays for item plus S&H

• You print international postage and custom forms from EBAY and get a tracking number starting with two letters and followed by numbers

• You Ship item thru USPS

LOOK AND BEWARE

• USPS accepts item

• Item makes it to Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)

• NOW USPS Tracking number stops here

• Tracking numbers that starts with letters do not require scanning or tracking by destination Country Postal Service

• Item is now en route to destination

HERE IS THE SCAM

• Buyer waits a couple of weeks

• Buyer places a claim with EBAY RESOLUTION CENTER stating he/she did not receive item even if they did receive the item in question

• EBAY Resolution Center contact Seller to provide USPS Tracking Number, which in most cases they already have, SINCE YOU PURCHASED YOUR LABEL THROUGH EBAY (!)

• Tracking Number shows final destination as “Sort Facility - ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)”

• Buyer gets back FULL amount they paid PLUS S&H (!)

• Buyer Gets Items for FREE and All Money Back

• Seller is out of Item and Money

• EBAY Resolution Center answer to this is that Seller should have had the item insured and registered, even though common sense would say the BUYER should assume risk of choosing not to request insurance and other safeguards when buying internationally.

• EBAY Resolution Center does not have any connection to the shipping process that is “conveniently” located on it's website. • Tracking number is absolutely USELESS

• EBAY BUYER PROTECTION will close claim on BUYERS FAVOR knowing this SCAM is HAPPENING

• USPS do not have any mechanism in place for you to file a CLAIM for stuff sold internationally if you ship via first class mail or any Priority Flat Rate options.

• Seller is SCREWED.

• Eva-bo-beva Lost $104.95 and is out the item.

• Eva-bo-beva is a single mother with mouths to feed and bills to pay.

DO NOT BE THE NEXT VICTIM

It's possible that the buyer really didn't receive the item.

The buyer may have "mouths to feed" as well.

My only advice is to stop selling if you don't understand your responsibilities as a seller.

Message 20 of 134