Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

fake coins sellers on ebay

fake coins sellers on ebay

realcoinsdealer
Rising Star

Hi While I am still allowed to buy, I noticed that eBay does nothing on many fake coins sellers who are selling bundles of fake american coins direclty via eBay and I am worried that these sellers will flood american land with fakes and fakes where it will get hard to figure out what is right or wrong.

Please pass this so eBay do something or else we are in situation 

most of sellers I see sell with title called maio silver coins

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES

Re: fake coins sellers on ebay

in reply to Sep 21, 2014 5:43:23 AM

i would only buy from somebody with the confidence boosting word 'real' in his id. ;-)

MENstruation, MENopause, MENtal Breakdowns - most of women's problems begin with men...
Message 2 of 32

in reply to Sep 21, 2014 5:45:46 AM
Rockstar
Last Edited 05:47:08 AM

"I am worried that these sellers will flood american land with fakes and fakes..."

I'm sorry to have to inform you...

That Horse left the Barn a long time ago.

Fakes are not a new phenomenon, they have been around for years and years, and will continue to be around as long as there are gullible gormless people who believe the hyperbole spewed by those selling them.

It's a buyer beware world.

Message 3 of 32

in reply to Sep 21, 2014 6:43:16 AM

"While I am still allowed to buy"

Are you not allowed to sell any longer?

Message 4 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 6:26:17 AM
mikefesta
Explorer
Last Edited 06:35:05 AM li-stevet

A seller sold me a fake Tiberius gold coin for $2100, confirmed as not genuine by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation. Refuses to refund my money or even reply to my emails. Because Seller had a 100% rating, I thought I was buying from a reputable person. Now, I can't even change my Feedback to negative because of the time lapse. As you may know, NGC has a big backlog of coins to be certified, and it took 2 moths in my case. EBay is enabling this fraud by not allowing me to warn other buyers via revised Feedback

Message 5 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 7:18:18 AM
luckythewinner
Rockstar

mikefesta wrote:

A seller sold me a fake Tiberius gold coin for $2100, confirmed as not genuine by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation. Refuses to refund my money or even reply to my emails. Because Seller had a 100% rating, I thought I was buying from a reputable person. Now, I can't even change my Feedback to negative because of the time lapse. As you may know, NGC has a big backlog of coins to be certified, and it took 2 moths in my case. EBay is enabling this fraud by not allowing me to warn other buyers via revised Feedback

OP, 

The only requirements for becoming an eBay seller are a pulse, a credit card, and a computer. There is no check to make sure the seller has morals or that his merchandise it legitimate. For this reason, eBay has policies that allow pretty much any buyer to force a refund for pretty much any item for a defined period of time, and allows the buyer a defined period of time to leave feedback.  

If a buyer cannot determine whether an item is "as described" within that timeframe, he can either choose to accept the risk or choose not to buy the item. Some items are simply not a good fit for the eBay venue, and IMHO buyers need to take a little personal responsibility for the buying decisions they make. I doubt that eBay is going to change its policies on returns or feedback simply because the NGC has a backlog. 

And given the reports here of buyers mis-using the dispute system and using feedback to extort concessions from sellers, I doubt you will find much support on a seller board for giving buyers even more protection and even more tools to damage a seller's rating.

Unlucky

Message 6 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 9:58:48 AM

hence why paypal has gone to 180 days for a claim

Message 7 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 10:16:53 AM
escuintla
Guide

I was at the flea market when I saw a guy grabbing a bunch of Amerian silver $1 coins. The price was at $18 each. I saw some from the 1800's, very early ones or what I thought expensive ones. I prayed to God he let them go, he did! I rushed to buy 8 of them, came to Ebay and read an article about how the Chinese are floading the market (and flea markets) with these coins. They have bubbles on them if you see them through a microscope. I did, bubbles everywhere. Lost $144 right and then.

3-4 months ago I saw Mexican silver coins selling at $3 each. I jumped to buy them but then I realized they were cheap for a reason. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 1:25:23 PM

Fake Coins have been an issue here forever.   China is making some pretty good knockoffs,  about only way I can tell is by weight, they will be about a gram off what they should be on silver dollars (which isn't much).  These are really good knockoffs and will even fool the best - sometimes you can find a slight difference in MM or the dates also. 

If your buying coins,  buy graded ones, and then check their number with the grading company as well. If your buying for silver or gold then do a few sample tests when you get them.

Silver and gold bullion -  same way,  test it when you get it to be sure.  Several times I have purchased silver bars, only to find that it is just silver plate. Drill a hole its cheaper than getting scamed. I have always gotten my money back on these.

Message 9 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 1:36:31 PM
Rockstar

Did you try to do a cc chargeback?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 10 of 32

in reply to Dec 7, 2014 1:41:52 PM
4a$or2
Trailblazer

At a flea market in my area this summer, a Chinese lady was selling junk jewelry.  She was selling gold plated chains for $10 each.  They were clearly marked 14k.

Message 11 of 32

in reply to Feb 9, 2015 10:58:02 PM
stellarideas
Enthusiast
Ebay !!! If ever a seller is ever asked to return money because they are thought to be selling fake coins or jewelry...Please suspend selling privileges!!! Chinese. Silver?? Maio,or Tibet silver is Duping buyers world wide...Be Cautious of "worth collecting "
Message 12 of 32

in reply to Feb 9, 2015 11:18:39 PM
fossil_diver
Rockstar

When it comes to real gold and silver there is no such thing as a bargain price. Only a fool sells for less than the scrap value. Fools selling silver and gold are pretty rare these days. 

Message 13 of 32

in reply to Feb 9, 2015 11:23:27 PM
fossil_diver
Rockstar

stellarideas wrote:
Ebay !!! If ever a seller is ever asked to return money because they are thought to be selling fake coins or jewelry...Please suspend selling privileges!!! Chinese. Silver?? Maio,or Tibet silver is Duping buyers world wide...Be Cautious of "worth collecting "

They cant and shouldnt suspend sellers if just one person says fake, but they should suspend sellers that have many complaints of fakes. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont.

In the end it is up to the buyer to be knowledgeable about what they are buying and to fully understand how ebay buyer protection works.

Message 14 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 7:21:59 PM
realcoinsdealer
Rising Star

actually I decided to not sell on eBay but on other reputed websites as with lot of real coins sellers, some fake coin sellers decide coin price on eBay and thus average price for good coins on eBay is lot less when compared to other sites like HA.com 

I still buy on eBay , with idea to find fake sellers, and have partnered with local agencies and reputed 3rd party authotication agencies, who work for free with me, and if we find any fake coin seller, we go all the way to den of that fake seller , to get him or her 

Message 15 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 7:26:11 PM
realcoinsdealer
Rising Star

hi problem with paypal for 180 days

1) if buyer files claim after receipt then paypal does nothing

2) if seller sold genuine and buyer gave address that shows item not received than also seller gets duped as now paypal will post refund

3) if item is fake, paypal has no process to get refund as they just go by item received or not received..

so bottom line ebay is not good for coins , atleast I guess and hence I decided to not sell as its a platform for ametures or fake sellers or certified coins sellers. eBay should be now called china ebay as almost everything that sold genuines, you can see fake sold by someone with fake address 

Message 16 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 7:35:59 PM
etvideo1ataol
Rockstar

Have to admit I was unaware of this.  Years ago, before eBay, the son of a local coin dealer I knew was arrested for selling fakes.  I should not be surprised that it occurs on eBay.

The international connection is news to me.

Message 17 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 8:00:24 PM
timetochow
Trailblazer

yOU CANT JUST BLAME THE SELLERS,there are the buyers who want something for nothing.

Gold is gold,no one sells for less but somehow some US buyers think gold coming from China LIKE everything else should be cheaper !@

Then they buy gemstones from Indian sellers and found out they are dyed or mislabeled or ugly,what are they thinking?they want that pigeon egg ruby stone on some Maharaja turban for 34.95?   

Message 18 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 8:03:02 PM
mylifeyourworld
Adventurer

PCGS

NGC

FOR THE REAL MONEY

Message 19 of 32

in reply to May 24, 2015 9:28:24 PM
redbud_farm
Rockstar
Always check the company producing the slab . Some grade their own coins at ms70 that won't meet uncirculated.

But even slabs can be faked
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 20 of 32