Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Shipping is not included in the offer price

Shipping is not included in the offer price

helmh.us2014
Enthusiast

I am selling an item for Buy it Now or Best Offer. I got an offer but I don't know if I should take it or not because at the top it says, "shipping is not included in the offer price." Does that mean that I have to pay for shipping even though the listing has a shipping price? Or is the buyer trying to negotiate free shipping?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES

Re: Shipping is not included in the offer price

in reply to Jul 20, 2014 2:40:17 PM
brewcity_bob
Trailblazer

All best offers have that comment letting buyers know that the offer is for the item only and that the offer price does not include shipping which will be extra.

Message 2 of 30

in reply to Jul 20, 2014 2:41:31 PM
brewcity_bob
Trailblazer

For a buyer to negociate free shipping they have to include the request in the comments section. Otherwise the offer is without shipping and will be added to their offer price. Unless the item already stated free shipping.

Message 3 of 30

in reply to Jul 20, 2014 2:45:46 PM
Rockstar

That awkward statement means that the shipping cost isn't part of the negotiations.

To avoid misunderstandings, it's better to list Free shipping with any "Best offer" listing. Add the cost of Zone 8 shipping to your asking price. Then when you get an offer, you can look up where the buyer lives, and factor-in the shipping cost to his location.

Message 4 of 30

in reply to Jul 20, 2014 3:28:08 PM
echo_and_zip
Guide

it says, "shipping is not included in the offer price."

Offer = $10.00 + SHIPPING = total

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

shipping is not included in the offer price

Offer = $10.00  + shipping $ 0 = $10.00

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 5 of 30

in reply to Jul 20, 2014 3:38:17 PM
escuintla
Guide

Don't worry. Say you stated in your listing "buyer pays for S/H". It's a BIN listing. You get an offer for $10.00 and if the buyer doesn't state/ask for "free shipping" he or she will need to pay whatever the shipping charges are to their location.

I know for sure that statement "shipping not included" has confused me a lot of times.

Message 6 of 30

in reply to Dec 4, 2014 6:05:24 PM
palmcoastfl
Enthusiast

I too had an issue with this eBay verbiage, which is not totally clear.

I think that eBay should add a 2nd sentence to clarify things immediately after their "Shipping is not included in the offer price" statement.

Maybe something like: If your listing offers "free shipping", then the item is still shipped at no cost (free shipping) to the buyer.

Does eBay Customer Support read these posts?

Message 7 of 30

in reply to Dec 4, 2014 6:13:41 PM
n.s.sherlock
Rockstar

helmh.us2014 wrote:

I am selling an item for Buy it Now or Best Offer. I got an offer but I don't know if I should take it or not because at the top it says, "shipping is not included in the offer price." Does that mean that I have to pay for shipping even though the listing has a shipping price? Or is the buyer trying to negotiate free shipping?

eBay policy states: "For listings in which the seller has specified shipping costs for the item, the Best Offer price includes only the listed item. For listings in which the shipping costs aren't specified, the buyer can choose to include shipping costs in their offer."

Since you have shipping costs specified, it is understood that shipping is on top of the offer.

You can always message the offeror, and confirm that they understand that shipping is in addition to the offered amount.

Message 8 of 30

in reply to Dec 16, 2014 5:18:58 PM
critofur
Adventurer

Not clear?  No, it is totally clear.  eBay is just WRONG.

Unfortunately, when eBay is wrong, we lose, not eBay.  Unless some of us have the tenacity to actually somehow force eBay to correct for their mistake.  

Small claims court?  What options do we the sellers have?  Basically take it or leave it?

Message 9 of 30

in reply to Dec 16, 2014 5:30:22 PM
Rockstar

From the buyer's perspective, it's quite clear that if you make an offer on an item with free shipping, the shipping on your accepted offer is also free:

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 8.28.31 PM.png

Message 10 of 30

in reply to Dec 16, 2014 5:50:36 PM
critofur
Adventurer
Yes, I checked that - that's why I'm saying it's so wrong! It tell the buyer that shipping IS included but it tells the seller that it is NOT!

Clearly, eBay should be paying for the shipping cost until they fix this problem!!! Of course they would fix it quickly, if they had to pay. Instead they tell us (the seller) too bad, we're not paying and that's final. Like that somehow makes it OK? Definitely not!
Message 11 of 30

in reply to Dec 16, 2014 6:25:04 PM
Rockstar

Shipping not included in the offer means that it's off the table, i.e., not part of the negotiation, i.e., the same as in the full-price listing.

Message 12 of 30

in reply to Apr 20, 2015 10:09:06 PM
mysteryman2000usa
Adventurer
Last Edited 10:03:04 AM by Moderator

Ebay customer serivce....
Do you need help?? Are you seriously allowing this issue to exist???

Message 13 of 30

in reply to Apr 20, 2015 10:24:23 PM
mysteryman2000usa
Adventurer
When a buyer receives a counter offer saying "shipping is not included in the offer price" the last thing we think is that the seller is still offering us free shipping....
Just because the listing said it in the first place does not make this more clear to us..

Let me explain. .

When we see this we think the seller has clicked an option allowing the free shipping to be taken off the table if you accept their deal...

Makes a very uncomfortable buying experience for the buyer..
And in reading these comments.. The Seller, too!
Message 14 of 30

in reply to Apr 21, 2015 12:18:37 AM
Rockstar
Last Edited 12:22:22 AM

That option doesn't exist, as long as a shipping cost is stated in the listing (free or not). A seller can't enforce something in their listing that says shipping is free for BIN but not if a best offer is accepted. If a seller puts that in their listing description, they don't understand how the "best offer" purchase process works.

When a seller accepts a best offer, they cannot change the existing shipping charge posted in the listing.

I don't understand why there would be any confusion about that as a buyer, the statement about shipping not being included in the offer terms is pretty clear; that the offer is what you will pay for the item independent of free/flat rate/calc'd shipping, and it appears in the "best offer" window in which the buyer enters the amount they are offering to pay for the item.

The statement that "ebay is wrong" when they say the best offer terms don't include shipping is incorrect.

Message 15 of 30

in reply to Jun 12, 2015 10:41:24 AM
paxwobiscum
Adventurer

listing: here is my price and terms

make an offer: everything is negotiable, assume nothing

The assumption that the seller will continuue to absorb shipping costs after a potential buyer has offered a price BELOW the ask is erroneous;

However, buyers will not understand this and willl beinsulted and leave negative feedback.

It is therefore incumbent on every seller to sepcify he WILL NOT include shipping if he accepts the offer and that will be an additional $XX PRIOR to acceptance.

If you accept the offer, as a seller - or make a counter offer - without addressing ths issue YOU WILL LOSE.  The buyer will pay, in spite of the warning message and you will incite an unpleasant experience.  I believe ebay WILL NOT resolve the sissue in your favor, either.

On ebay, it is not caveat emptor but caveat seller.

Message 16 of 30

in reply to Jun 12, 2015 10:49:58 AM
Rockstar

paxwobiscum wrote:

listing: here is my price and terms

make an offer: everything is negotiable, assume nothing ....

That's exactly the opposite of what eBay is trying to say. eBay's stance is that the shpiping that is shown in the listing is non-negotiable.

Message 17 of 30

in reply to Jun 12, 2015 10:55:46 AM
ymeagainlord
Rockstar
I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code, but I really wish they'd add a shipping box to the deal where a seller can "make an offer" to the buyer when asked a question, as most are happy with the item price but are asking about cheaper shipping.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 18 of 30

in reply to Jul 4, 2015 5:01:26 PM
tintinker
Pathfinder

people in Philippines use a different form of English, speaking Tagalog usually..................with no supervision and the US end being basically a bank.they don't care and have a take it or leave it stance..............Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 30

in reply to Jul 4, 2015 6:12:21 PM
Last Edited 06:13:04 PM

Message 20 of 30