Archive Selling
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Seller doesn't read emails and shipped to wrong address! should i negative him/her?

Seller doesn't read emails and shipped to wrong address! should i negative him/her?

y.us633
Adventurer
Last Edited 01:07:26 PM lithnicnac

On friday feb. 28th i purchased this item.  However, during checkout seller didn't accept personal message. So i couldn't give my correct address. What i did was send him two messages immediately after payment providing my correct address. few minutes after, i received an automessage regarding  is out of the office. So I guessed they'll be off for the weekend. But then later on the same day i received another message to confirm that my order was shipped to the address on paypal.

Ok, I understand most sellers ship items to the address shown on paypal. But how come they ship something first without reading any emails firstly?. and i even think they didn't phisically shipped it but just printed out the label before hand. Therefore, they will mailed it out today

Should i negative him? as i am sure the item was shipped via first class mail. Therefore, the mail man will just drop it off to the neighbor's mailbox

Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES

Re: Seller doesn't read emails and shipped to wrong address! should i negative him/her?

Re: Seller doesn't read emails and shipped to wrong address! should i negative him/her?

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:05:45 PM
gopetersen
Rockstar
Last Edited 01:10:21 PM

You can't change your address midstream in a transaction. It voids the seller's protection if the seller sends to an address that is different from the one on file when you bought the item.

You have to add the other address to your list of PayPal addresses and then, when you check out, you have to be sure to SELECT that address for the shipment.

If you didn't do this, you cannot put the blame on the seller.

Now what you need to do is go online and file a forwarding address with USPS before the package reaches the other address, so USPS will send it on to you. Better hurry, if it hasn't been delivered yet. If it has been delivered, you could try to contact the recipient by phone (if it's a listed number) and give them your current address. They might keep your package or they might send it on. It's YOUR package and your responsibility once it is delivered to the address YOU gave the seller.

In the future, if this happens, it might be easiest to ask the seller to cancel the transaction, then you can change your shipping address in PayPal, the seller can send you a PayPal invoice to pay again and then ship to the alternate address. That's still a bandaid, however. The best way to handle it is to provide the correct address from the outset. PayPal allows you to list several addresses, then you click the one you want when you pay.

Message 2 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:06:36 PM
Rockstar

"during checkout seller didn't accept personal message. So i couldn't give my correct address."

Address changes are not done by messages, they are done by changing the address that's on the checkout form,   The seller has to send to that address. Messages don't count.

Message 3 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:08:29 PM
hyperrush
Trailblazer

Its your responsability to give to seller the proper adress if not, its all your fault.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 4 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:09:38 PM
freeshipusa1
Guide

There is a way to recall the package,seller has to go to the post office and fill out a form asking the post office which deliver mail to the address in your paypal account to hold the package,and return to you.

The form wil be faxed .by her post office 

But it may be too late now.

Message 5 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:10:11 PM
y.us633
Adventurer
Understood. But seller should have read my messages right after payment! Before i ship something i always double check if there is any messages left from buyer that may have any problem
Message 6 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:11:23 PM
vmprwmn
Guide
It was YOUR responsibility to make SURE your correct address was on file with Paypal.
Sellers aren't required to contact each buyer to see if the address on file is correct.
The seller does NOT deserve a neg for YOUR error!
If you think the item will be delivered to the neighbor, I suggest you alert the neighbor to this fact, and ask them to tell you when it arrives.
In the mean time, go in to Paypal and eBay and put in the correct address.
Message 7 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:11:26 PM

Did you move recently? was the widget a gift you wanted shipped to someone else? Why didn't you ask questions about shipping prior to placing bid/bin? & if you had moved then is your responsibility to update that info both in your ebay & PPal account. Then not lay it on the seller. This must be a high volume seller & they had posted frequent Q's ansers within the listings....as most high volume sellers do as they are busy creating listings, packing & shipping & not sitting in front of computer waiting for questions to come in.

To answer your question, NO you shouldn't NEG the seller over your mistake. And it was your mistake. Even when you go the PAY NOW Notice from ebay. That following page taking you to the paypal check out screen has your address & a blurb right under it saying make changes/updates for SHIPS TO & then submit the change & then pay. That would have avoided this whole thing. Only takes a second to do, yet wasn't done. Also in the payment page in ppal it has a note box so you can put special instructions in for the seller & they are then notified of such prior to ship as they'll see the note flag that pops up 

Maybe I'm confused here but sounds like you just sent an ebay message via regular message system, or to their outside email addy & Not directly via the invoice itself in ppal

Message 8 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:12:03 PM
y.us633
Adventurer
SO reading messages doesn't count as part of a transaction then??
Message 9 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:12:33 PM
gopetersen
Rockstar

Many sellers check their mail once or twice a day, but not once or twice a minute. Plus, you might be in different time zones.

Your package may already have been packed and shipped by the time the seller saw the message.

Message 10 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:16:37 PM
y.us633
Adventurer
Seller printed out the label before hand on friday to physically mail it out today. So they could have just simply read my message and switch address which means they're lazy as **bleep**!
Message 11 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:16:38 PM
58-mpala
Trailblazer

No

Message 12 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:16:45 PM
canyarun
Guide

Dear OP.  Thanks for posting. Woman Wink  LOL

****Signature**** Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs. Dwight D. Eisenhower you can find me as the "bird flies" @MLEforEveryone
Message 13 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:16:50 PM
gopetersen
Rockstar
Last Edited 01:19:45 PM

"SO reading messages doesn't count as part of a transaction then??"

Reading messages is important, but the address should have been given correctly by you in the first place.

First.... eBay does not always deliver the messages right away. Sometimes there is a lag of an hour or two from the time the message is sent and when it is received. Not always, sometimes it's instant, but it depends on volume and time of day.

Second... if a seller ships two or three items a day, a seller can check messages before putting it in the mail, but some of us (including me) ship 30, 40 or 50 products a day. We cannot check email 10 times an hour to see if someone messed up on the address. And there are sellers who ship hundreds of products a day. They can't check email every few minutes either. They barely manage to get the packages out the door on time, as it is.

Now, stop blaming the seller, find out if your package got delivered, and take steps to contact the recipient, if it is, or quickly post a forwarding address with USPS online if it isn't.

Message 14 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:18:46 PM
canyarun
Guide

WHAT DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.   If the seller "does not use the address on file" it voids his protection.   IT WAS YOUR RESPONSIBLITY TO ADD AN ADDRESS DURING CHECKOUT THAT EBAY VERIFIES...  Putting it in a message does not count.   

****Signature**** Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs. Dwight D. Eisenhower you can find me as the "bird flies" @MLEforEveryone
Message 15 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:20:07 PM
y.us633
Adventurer
At least a neutral would make justice
Message 16 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:21:00 PM

Another thing, count yourself lucky if the seller is willing to take their business time to get that package recalled if it isn't too late. But know that once they have your item back, if you still want the widget, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY them to have it reshipped...providing you do the right thing & UPDATE YOUR CONTACT/MAILING INFO in the system.

And if you decide you no longer want the package be prepared to only be refunded for the widget total & NOT the original ship cost (if they also offered free ship to you). Should you choose to cancel the transaction then make sure to agree so the seller can recoup their fvf's on the sale that ebay took from them.

And IMO No fb should be posted if you can't give pos fb with all 5s in DSRs for something that was/is your mistake alone. As anything less then that will harm their business for something that was clearly not their fault. KWIM?!

Message 17 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:23:13 PM
ham-n-antiqueradios
Adventurer
Even if the seller read your email, he could not switch the addresses. Doing so would void his seller protection. As was said before, you have to supply the correct address via eBay/PayPal.
Message 18 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:23:53 PM
canyarun
Guide

Accept responsibility for not reading the buyer policy..   This seller "did nothing wrong"  YOU were breaking the rules and then going to inflict YOUR MISTAKE on the Seller?   Shame ON YOU....     To bad we only can load 5000.  Thanks for posting. 

Message 19 of 72

in reply to Mar 3, 2014 1:24:42 PM

y.us633 wrote:
Understood. But seller should have read my messages right after payment! Before i ship something i always double check if there is any messages left from buyer that may have any problem

Even if the seller had read your messages after you had paid that would mean they would have to REFUND your payment and then you would have to REPAY using the correct address in order to retain their Seller Protection by shipping to the address shown in the payment.

Message 20 of 72