Archive Selling
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Opinions: With buyers ever come back to eBay?

Opinions: With buyers ever come back to eBay?

With sales and traffic down around 50% for the last 45 days for our company, I thought it would be interesting to get the opinions of other sellers and buyers on whether they think buyers will ever come back to eBay and start buying again or is it dead in the water and we all need to start looking elsewhere to sell ie: the river, own website, etc. Full disclosure we already sell on the another site, but eBay was our favorite / preferred by far until the last 45 days where sales and traffic are tanking and don't seem to be improving at all (actually still on a downward trend). Please give a reason why or why not and offer any alternitives iand what you think they need to do to fix this nightmare if you would please. Maybe we will get lucky and someone whos a decision maker might read this thread (Very unlikely, but hey we can dream).

I for one think if eBay wants to stop this death spiral they are going to have to sacrifice profit of a year or so and saturate TV & the internet (improving searches) with advertising educating the public on the diversity of items that be bought or bid on on eBay and put a good light on the company. All you have heard for years in the public is negativity about layoffs, being hacked, etc. They need an aggressive ad agency that can steer the public perception of eBay and get them back to eBay.

Your opinions and solutions?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES

Re: Opinions: With buyers ever come back to eBay?

in reply to May 13, 2015 9:52:25 AM
ki_korners
Guide

I will not sell or buy again on ebay and it has nothing to do with ebay rules, standards or fees.

It's mainly the sellers. I have just been burned too many times as a buyer.

As a seller I had no complaints. I could handle everything that came up. I've never called CS in 13 years on ebay and I'm not about to start now.

So that's it.........

Message 2 of 15
Highlighted

in reply to May 13, 2015 9:55:20 AM
circa1901
Rockstar
Last Edited 09:56:33 AM

I've been buying on ebay since 1999. Also sold here (antiques) from 1999-2009. There are millions of us that haven't left ...however, these days it IS harder to find items I want to buy. Just lately I've had good luck finding items, but I used to buy a lot more than I do now.

Message 3 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:18:00 AM
leftcoasttrading
Trailblazer

You just CANNOT compete with the Chinese "Engine."  They have spanked Ebay and now the Chinese sellers are flooding Ebay with very very cheap goods and next to nothing or free shipping.  You may want to google search why can china ship so cheap to US. (Trade pact agreement between the US and China)  You will find it very interesting.  This is a complete slam dunk for the Chinese because Americans actually end up paying for Chinese shipping.  (Reference  Washington Post Article-The POSTAL SERVICE IS LOSING MILLIONS A YEAR TO HELP YOU BUY CHEAP STUFF FROM CHINA.) The bottom line, it is killing sellers all over the world.   Also, Ebay provides sell sheets to large Chinese manufacturing plants.  So, if you have a niche and are doing well, then all of the sudden sales slow, check the basic wording of your titles in the search bar---you will usually find horrible Chinese companies (meaning very low ratings) at the top of the search engine selling the same things you are for dirt cheap....  I think this place should be called ChinaBay or C-Bay now.  

The other component of this mess is the US economy is still in shambles.  Don't listen to the lame stream media.  Do you homework and search online and you will find we are in a recession and have not improved.  Remember, this is a consumerism society.  People may not have the same amount of money (also you can search charts, showing people do not have the same amount of disposable income) but people still buy stuff and most are going to opt for the cheaper version.  If you look at almost any category, who comes up at the top of the lists with cheaper versions????

Message 4 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:18:08 AM

Also, if you are a buyer what do you see as the problem and what do you think they need to do to get back buyers

Message 5 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:21:24 AM
fountainheadwatersystems
Thrill-Seeker

It's not just Ebay, it's everywhere. I think everyone is so busy beating up on Ebay, that they don't see the big picture anymore. Ebay is not hiding listings, or causing rotating black outs of your store, they are doing what they can to keep everyone afloat during this slump. 

"Every group surveyed by the Federal Reserve Board had a lower mean income in 2013 than they did in 2007. "

This is from a headline article quoting  Macy's CEO from Business Insider. Don't know why they wouldn't let me post the link, but go over there to read the article.

Macy's offers an ominous insight about American consumers

Message 6 of 15

Re: Opinions: Will buyers ever come back to eBay?

Re: Opinions: Will buyers ever come back to eBay?

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:23:09 AM
analogfile
Adventurer

I too have ceased buying and selling on ebay. As a higher end used electronics seller, I quit at last years fall update. I could not afford to risk the loss of items I sold or chance a 180 day Paypal chargeback. It simply was too risky on used items and I decided to move to a local brick and mortar store to retail my restored items.  Many here have said " if you can't afford to lose it, don't sell it on ebay". I agree with this wholeheartedly now. 

As a seller I was also a buyer and spent thousands per year buying parts and broken items to fix and sell in my category. Since I ceased selling, I also ceased buying on ebay. What I discovered in the last 8 months since I closed my ebay store: I found another way to diversify my business and ebay was not needed in my current business model. I now buy and sell local and did away with shipping costs, supply costs, worry about delivery, worry about buyer NAD/feedback, spending a crazy amount of time listing/searching on ebay etc etc etc. I casually look in from time to time to see what is happening in this marketplace. Overall my level of stress has been reduced substantially and my overall happiness raised remarkably. 

In my case, I am extremely happy with my decision to leave this marketplace both as a seller and as a buyer. I doubt I will ever return to ebay as a seller or buyer unless they improve the customer experience on both sides of the fence. (Repeat - both sides of the fence) This improvement would have to be substantial and not token maneuvering to make you feel like this is a safe and friendly marketplace to conduct any type of business.  It no longer is "Easy as 1 - 2 - 3"

Happy Spring and have a great Summer - Analogfile

Message 7 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:24:32 AM
emerald40
Rockstar

I've been buying on ebay since 1999. Also sold here (antiques) from 1999-2009. There are millions of us that haven't left ...however, these days it IS harder to find items I want to buy. Just lately I've had good luck finding items, but I used to buy a lot more than I do now.

For a minute I thought I wrote that.  I am also a long time  buyer.  And in my categories, number of auctions is definitely decreasing.  What used to be thousands of listings is now well under a thousand.  I still find great items to add to my collection, and as long as I can find even one more, I will stay here.  The only difference now, is that I also look on other sites as well, where before I was exclusively ebay.

Message 8 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:36:28 AM

leftcoasttrading wrote:

You just CANNOT compete with the Chinese "Engine."  They have spanked Ebay and now the Chinese sellers are flooding Ebay with very very cheap goods and next to nothing or free shipping.  You may want to google search why can china ship so cheap to US. (Trade pact agreement between the US and China)  You will find it very interesting.  This is a complete slam dunk for the Chinese because Americans actually end up paying for Chinese shipping.  (Reference  Washington Post Article-The POSTAL SERVICE IS LOSING MILLIONS A YEAR TO HELP YOU BUY CHEAP STUFF FROM CHINA.) The bottom line, it is killing sellers all over the world.   Also, Ebay provides sell sheets to large Chinese manufacturing plants.  So, if you have a niche and are doing well, then all of the sudden sales slow, check the basic wording of your titles in the search bar---you will usually find horrible Chinese companies (meaning very low ratings) at the top of the search engine selling the same things you are for dirt cheap....  I think this place should be called ChinaBay or C-Bay now.  

The other component of this mess is the US economy is still in shambles.  Don't listen to the lame stream media.  Do you homework and search online and you will find we are in a recession and have not improved.  Remember, this is a consumerism society.  People may not have the same amount of money (also you can search charts, showing people do not have the same amount of disposable income) but people still buy stuff and most are going to opt for the cheaper version.  If you look at almost any category, who comes up at the top of the lists with cheaper versions????

I agree that this is part of the issue but we have just noticed this in the last 45 days. We had month to month growth on eBay ever since we started selling here 3 years ago. It was like someone just turned off the faucett on page views and sales since mid-March and we do not compete with Chinese sellers.

Message 9 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:36:33 AM
retrose1
Rockstar

OP, most ebay users that come here complaining about sellers, sales, ect, only see ebay from their narrow perspective.  For sellers that their sales are down - ebay's sales must be down and buyers must be leaving the site in droves.

Nope, that is not what is happening.

Take a look at what you are selling and then take a look at how many of them, or like items are listed on ebay at any given moment.  ebay has about 300 MILLION items on the site and i have about 300 common items.  Yeah, like I am going to have a high sell through - that was sarcasm son.

Some sellers do well and then suddenly sales drop off.  Well in most cases your drop off, means someones increase in sales.  I have watched over the years as ebay has realized they have too much stuff listed and not enough buyers so they use search to level the playing field.  If you read between the lines in the UA, it says so.

Right now ebay's recent drop in the freebie listings to all sellers without a store is one of the things they are trying to get less items listed on site.  It's a bad move on their part as most of the bloat ebay has comes from store ids and big box and Chinese sellers.

ebay in general hasn't lost buyers.  Like sellers, for every buyer they lose, there is another one to take their place someplace.  It is just that for every buyer ebay has looking to buy an item, ebay has well over 5 items to offer them and the buyer only wants 1.  That kind of math means that there are 4 sellers with no sales.

And for the poster who stopped buying because they had too many problems with the sellers.  Might I suggest that you buy from established long time sellers with not mountains of feedback, but an average of 300 to 500 feedbacks a year.  Sellers with tons of feedback have automated their service to do as much as possible, and new sellers usually are listing stuff on ebay to get rid of it and make money.  If you have a problem, they are not going to be easy to deal with.

You can tell a lot about the seller by looking at the way they list.  Sometimes it might be a better idea to skip the cheapest or the best presented listing and go with a plain boring listing from an established seller with great feedback.

retrose1
You can take away my name but you can't take away my dignity.
Message 10 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 10:45:59 AM
grasshopperx
Guide

They really are turning a faucet on and off . We have been watching this for the last 8 months. All of a sudden we have been turned on this week. Some views and some watchers. I dont think the buyers will come back here. Its too much trouble to find items. The site is cumbersome and full of glitches. The sellers that have left, were the buyers. The chinese items are flooding the site, and who really wants to wait 4 weeks to get an item.  The big box stores have bad customer service and lots of negatives. Yes the percentage may not be that high for a bad experiece, but if you add up the thousands of unhappy customers, it adds up to alot of unhappy people. And if you add into the fact, the bad economy. Seems to me its a sinking ship. The reasons go on and on.

Message 11 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 11:11:50 AM
sai83her
Thrill-Seeker
In perspective. Sellers are also Buyers. Buyers are also sellers. But what happen when ebay start to stick their nose and dictate what sellers can do and how they get penalize. They stop using ebay, or are banned from ebay. So they do not buy anymore.

Also with the flood of big box stores, and Chinese seller listing thousand and thousand of items flooding the search option. Yeah, you know it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack with your listing. Then when buyers do get the item after weeks of waiting. It is some cheap knockoff, and when they want to return it. They have to pay out of their pocket at a cost more then what they bought it for. Poor customer service. A few of these experience, and the buyer is gone gone gone. This in term ends in a bad relationship also causing honest seller a bad rep.

So what ebay think they are doing right, is wrong. Ebay wants numbers for their share holder. They are getting numbers from Chinese sellers who sells thousands for $1-$5. Ebay is your new dollar store.
Message 12 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 11:24:37 AM
sai83her
Thrill-Seeker
One more thing to add. The economic as a whole is very unstable right now. Sales report for the grocery stores I contract to are showing down sales compare to 1-2 years ago. My friends who are managers at a few national chains restaurant are showing slow sales. They said it is not even a regional issue. It is appearing everywhere. So what is going on? The economic is not as good as people think it is.
Message 13 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 11:51:59 AM
gopetersen
Rockstar
Last Edited 11:56:06 AM

leftcoast wrote: "This is a complete slam dunk for the Chinese because Americans actually end up paying for Chinese shipping. "

I don't know about other classes of service, but I know this is true for ePacket (small items up to 2 kilos). The USPS Feb. 2014 Audit Report shows that we are paying approx. $1.10 PER PACKET to track and deliver incoming ePackets.

ePacketLossPic.jpg

ePacket was initiated by eBay when J. Donahoe said, "Chinese sellers need tracking." It was set up as a trilateral agreement (eBay/USPS/China Post). Once it had been going for a couple of years, this was changed to a bilateral agreement.

Message 14 of 15

in reply to May 13, 2015 12:05:05 PM
gopetersen
Rockstar
Last Edited 12:07:42 PM

"So what is going on? The economic is not as good as people think it is."

I think there are many people who fully understand that the economy is shaky, but there seems to be a lot of denial going on in the media and in the government.

The unemployment statistics don't give an accurate picture. People run out of employment security (and thus no longer get counted as unemployed) but they're still looking for work.

Inflation statistics don't give an accurate picture. Not only do they not count a dozen kinds of inflation, they also don't count obsolescence. If your computer is in perfect working order but you are forced to buy a new one because it won't run current versions of Flash, for example, you have to pay out money for equipment you shouldn't have to pay. That's an insidious form of inflation that isn't accounted for in most of the numbers, good equipment going unused and having to be replaced.

In my area, for the last 7 years, the employment agencies WON'T TAKE RESUMES from anyone except laborers. They won't take resumes for temp help or for any kind of professional. The answer is no. Our local temp agencies used to do a booming business.

Employment Security doesn't take them any more either. Employment security used to take resumes on a regular basis, vet the applicants and recommend them to local businesses. Not any more. The supply so far outstrips demand, they shut down that service. What does that tell you?

Message 15 of 15