Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Global Shipping Program experiences?

Global Shipping Program experiences?

richie22-2012
Adventurer

Anyone have any experience with the Global Shipping Program? I want to sell to people in Canada only right now and wondered if this would be a good option or if I should just ship it myself and if I ship it myself what all do I have to do?

Message 1 of 1,713
1,712 REPLIES

Re: Global Shipping Program experiences?

in reply to Nov 4, 2012 5:57:14 PM
marnotom!
Guide

This is a really new program to eBay. You'd basically be a guinea pig at this stage.

Message 2 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 4, 2012 7:46:04 PM

Since we have so little information, I created a dummy listing you can look at to get an idea of what a buyer will see.

Select shipping for Canada, the UK or one of the other countries n the Global Shipping Program.

Global Shipping Cost

Message 3 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 2:11:40 AM
ownedbybear
Thrill-Seeker

$11 shipping, $5 tax on a $4.99 item that would not incur duty.

Message 4 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 2:39:17 AM
afantiques
Rockstar

Import charges:US $4.37   (amount confirmed at checkout)

And under this a large 'Commit to Buy' button.

In other words, you only have an estimate till you agree to buy, then the final amount could be anything.

It probably would be something like if not exactly the same as the figure shown, but I'd say that any contract concluded under these circumstances would in English law be 'void for uncertainty' inasmuch as the exact terms of the contract or even the basis on which the terms were to be arrived at were not available to the contracting party before  committing to the purchase.

The same item would be subject to higher 'import charges' in Australia where it would also be tax free. As Australia has a AU$1000 threshold for charging import taxes, it would be interesting to see what they would try to extract for a $500 item.

I will look forward to that higher priced item, Larry.

I don't think many people would be happy paying 100% import charges on something that would be charged, let alone something not chargeable.

A gross price of $20 (UK) to $25 (Aus.) for a $5 item that could be shipped for $5 is unattractive.

(This is British understatement)

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 5 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 2:49:03 AM

It's now a $500 item.

Message 6 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 3:03:17 AM
afantiques
Rockstar

US $16.47 shipping ,   import charges (UK) $134.65

on that $500 item.

Australia remains at $5 import charges.

Clearly about $5 is tacked on to all purchases, taxable or not.

Message 7 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 3:26:41 AM

Yup - it's the brokerage fee that Pitney-Bowes & eBay share.

It looks like a good deal for shipping heavier more expensive items to Australia - not so for the rest of the countries in the program. But Global Shipping is all or nothing at this time.

Message 8 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 4:15:06 AM

Since Canada has a low import threshold of $20 before Customs fees in general, I'm not sure about it either. Canada also has a low Priority Mail of like $23 for under 13 ounces, so I don't think for Canada that it's worth it for low weight items or items that would be be valued at $20.

Message 9 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 5:27:23 AM
afantiques
Rockstar

US $20.38  shipping   Import charge $71.54 to Canada.

on the $500 item.

To France it is $50 which is about the same as Fiji, in neither case are any import charges mentioned.

So, the item would be $21 to ship to the UK and $50 to France, a few miles away.

Message 10 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 6:02:25 AM

France & Fiji arn't Global Shipping Program destinations so it's USPS shipping that's shown.

Message 11 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 9:06:37 AM
tobyshitzu
Adventurer

Short of them adding a fee on to very low priced items that aren't taxable, what they are charging to Canada is very reasonable.  Less then what it would cost the buyer on arrival where Canada Post would collect the same tax, duty plus $10 collection fee  (and way less then UPS brokerage). 

But that is only if the item was assessed for Canada post to collect.  Everyone here knows most sellers (regardless of posts on the forum) falsify customs forms.  And even if they don't a large majority of items sent by mail are never assessed

Message 12 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 5, 2012 9:16:51 AM
marnotom!
Guide

It looks like a good deal for shipping heavier more expensive items to Australia - not so for the rest of the countries in the program. 

Actually, I'd include Canada with Australia on that count, if the "estimated" customs charges are accurate.

That $500 item would likely see me pay about $60 in harmonized sales tax in British Columbia, assuming that the Canadian dollar is about at par with the U.S. dollar.

That would make brokerage/customs clearance/whatever charges less than $12, which is not too shabby for a shipment made with a commercial carrier.

However, this same "estimated" amount comes up for a shipment to Alberta, which only charges 5% GST on goods and services, not to mention for Nova Scotia with two taxes totalling 15% added to goods purchased.  I don't think the postal code entry box is actually functional and I wonder on just what this "estimated" import charge is based.

As AF suggests, it seems odd that eBay encourages sellers to provide accurate information on shipping charges in their listing, but for a separate line item such as taxes and customs clearance, it doesn't feel that's so important.

Message 13 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 5:37:29 AM
zuzuvintage
Rising Star

I have to say I was really excited to see this program come into action because I have completely limited my international sales due to eBays red tape.

The problem with International sales has always been the question of tracking. Ebay/Paypal insists that each package is shipped with not just tracking but THIRD PARTY online tracking. This means you go to the carriers website and enter your tracking and all of the information needs to be clearly stated: Accepted by post office all the way to delivered. This is fine and easy for domestic shipping. But for international, forget it.

If you offer you first class shipping or priority mail to your international customers and either 1. they don't receive it 2,. it takes too long to get there because of customs laziness  3. it gets stolen or 4. the customer receives it and doesn't feel like paying for it -they can easily open a buyer protection case against YOU and get their money back from YOU. Even if you buy insurance through your carrier, their tracking will indicate that it was received and they will not honor your claim. So either way you are screwed.

So to avoid this hassle you adjust your shipping options accordingly. Your first option is Express mail. This is ONLY for items under $250, well actually $250 minus the cost to ship via Express -a whopping $38.00 and up! 

For items over $250 you are required to have a signature. This is just plain hard to find and expensive to get overseas. Your only option is UPS, FED EX, or USPS via Fed Ex  in the form of Global Express. These rates are CRAZY! starting at about $70 and extend to over $3000 depending on weight and location. 

So you abide by the rules eBayPal  has set forth and you get your acceptable form of tracking but then no one wants to purchase from you because it costs too much to do so.

So then eBay has this new program and it honestly seems like a good idea. But unfortunately it has Big Brother written all over it. And from what I've gathered the rates the buyer receives are comparable to the ungodly rates I have already been charging. 

So is there an even better solution?

I have always preferred that there be a simple clause in the invoicing to an International buyer that states all of the buyers options including First Class mail. With this clause when the customer chooses for the seller to ship via First Class THEY THEREFORE FORFEIT THEIR RIGHT TO EBAYS ITEM NOT RECEIVED OPTION OFFERED IN THE BUYER PROTECTION PROGRAM. ONCE THE PACKAGE IS ACCEPTED BY THE POST OFFICE (which is a fact accessible by third party online tracking) IT IS QUITE LITERALLY OUT OF OUR HANDS. This seems a fair and resolution. You offer all of the options including paying for Express mail or opting to go with ebays program. The customer has all of the options and they are able to choose.

Just my opinion. I know this program is still in its infancy and I still hold high hopes for it. Hopefully in time they'll work out the quirks. I miss my international customers. H

Message 14 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 8:21:06 AM
hondamedic
Guide
Message 15 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 8:39:00 AM

Import charges:US $4.37   (amount confirmed at checkout)

And under this a large 'Commit to Buy' button.

In other words, you only have an estimate till you agree to buy, then the final amount could be anything.

It probably would be something like if not exactly the same as the figure shown, but I'd say that any contract concluded under these circumstances would in English law be 'void for uncertainty' inasmuch as the exact terms of the contract or even the basis on which the terms were to be arrived at were not available to the contracting party before  committing to the purchase.

The same item would be subject to higher 'import charges' in Australia where it would also be tax free. As Australia has a AU$1000 threshold for charging import taxes, it would be interesting to see what they would try to extract for a $500 item.

I will look forward to that higher priced item, Larry.

I don't think many people would be happy paying 100% import charges on something that would be charged, let alone something not chargeable.

A gross price of $20 (UK) to $25 (Aus.) for a $5 item that could be shipped for $5 is unattractive.

(This is British understatement)

Yeah, that.

I agree totally with this statement.

I also read it all and my assumption is that buyers will be subjected to some unknown charges and in many cases the charges will be mandatory and upfront imposed before even they know what hit them.. and therefore there is no knowing to seller and buyer any answer to questions like..

okay so how much it actually will cost to me?

I mean, some items inded do go thorugh the sifter of customs without being charged any fees and from what I saw when I was reading I see that each item will be charged upfront regardless of otherwise having chance to go without fees.

I did not like it, I don't undrestand it, it is not transparent, it is not clear it is confusing, it is not simple, not straight forward.

Untill iit will be I won't use the program. Period.

I don't see any simple way of doiing it.

I think it is too confusing to share the shpping between the ebay and seller. the big river does it in very simple way, you ship to them and they sell your stuff and everyone knows what to expect. Here it is one big mambo jumbo and I have no idea

what will be final shipping charges to me? what they will be to the buyer?

I am not saying the idea is bad, it is good but

it should be VERY very simple.

There should be enogh tables to show the buyers and seller shipping costs at a glance and BEFORE they commit to shipping.

Amen

Message 16 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 9:11:41 AM
afantiques
Rockstar

THEY THEREFORE FORFEIT THEIR RIGHT TO EBAY'S ITEM NOT RECEIVED OPTION OFFERED IN THE BUYER PROTECTION PROGRAM. ONCE THE PACKAGE IS ACCEPTED BY THE POST OFFICE (which is a fact accessible by third party online tracking) IT IS QUITE LITERALLY OUT OF OUR HANDS.

It is this attitude that led to the whole buyer protection thing in the first place.

By far the best solution is accepting that a few items will go missing and the seller insuring against this. Vastly cheaper than aiming for 100% delivery, and no loss to the buyer, who gets a refund. (as does the seller)

US sellers are so wedded to the idea of tracking every mailpiece that they just cannot normally get their head around the idea that there are alternatives that are cheaper, simpler, encourage business and work to the advantage of all except the USPS' operating defecit.

In Britain it is so widely accepted that a letter posted will arrive that it is nearly impossible to get people to put a return address on their letters and parcels, let alone bother with any special tracking or delivery information..

Message 17 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 9:19:08 AM
ownedbybear
Thrill-Seeker

THEY THEREFORE FORFEIT THEIR RIGHT TO EBAYS ITEM NOT RECEIVED OPTION OFFERED IN THE BUYER PROTECTION PROGRAM. ONCE THE PACKAGE IS ACCEPTED BY THE POST OFFICE (which is a fact accessible by third party online tracking) IT IS QUITE LITERALLY OUT OF OUR HANDS

That's stupid, immoral and illegal in most countries.

Message 18 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 10:03:01 AM

In Britain it is so widely accepted that a letter posted will arrive that it is nearly impossible to get people to put a return address on their letters and parcels, let alone bother with any special tracking or delivery information..

Out of curiosity only.

Are you suggesting that the Brits would refuse a free domestic tracking number like I get when I use USPS?

Message 19 of 1,713

in reply to Nov 9, 2012 11:08:43 AM
afantiques
Rockstar

I am quite sure it will not happen, although the Post Office staff are instructed to try to sell anyone posting a letter or parcel at the post office, a more expensive type of mailing and because the average punter round here seems to have more money than sense I often see them pay an extra £5 for a service that they don't need.

The staff are briefed to say "Would you like that guaranteed for tomorrow?" and "is there anything valuable in there" and then try to stick the customer with special delivery.

So maybe they would like like free tracking.

I can't imagine anyone finding any real use for it though.

And I can't see the postal worker's unions not going on immediate strike. They love to do this and 'new technology is a red rag to a load of old bull.

Message 20 of 1,713