Archive Pottery, Glass & Porcelain
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Who puts a plate in a bubble mailer and ships it to a buyer that way?

Who puts a plate in a bubble mailer and ships it to a buyer that way?

No joke.  Not a newbie, and they have "antique" in their name? Thousands of feedback?

And they think this is acceptable?

For those of you wondering why people don't buy on eBay much, here is example A. I bought a gravy plate and it came wrapped in small bubble wrap and slid into a padded envelope? It weighed over a pound, so a box would not have cost more to ship? But even if it did, what idiot thinks a padded envelope will protect a piece of porcelain?

So, before I leave feedback, what's your take?

And the item I bought before that was a platter wrapped in large bubble and slipped into a tight fitting document box. THe box was no more than 1/2 inch from the platter.

I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES

Re: Who puts a plate in a bubble mailer and ships it to a buyer that way?

in reply to Aug 23, 2013 2:05:34 AM
1katdance
Adventurer

I have shipped small plates, and other small items, boxed inside bubble mailers but never just wrapped in bubble wrap in the mailer.  If the padded flat rate envelope is less expensive to mail than the box, I put the box in the envelope.  The box is always very well packed.

If it's going in a padded Flat Rate, I box it unless it is a textile.  Sometimes even the textiles get boxed....

If possible, I  wouldn't rate shipping a 5....

Kat

Message 2 of 22

in reply to Aug 23, 2013 2:58:47 PM
abeal49
Trailblazer

I'm beginning to think some sellers don't care.  they insure the parcel, so they don't lose money.  they sell the item, it gets broken during shipping, and the insurance covers it.  So why would they care?  they can probably do this for years before the carriers figure out what's going on.

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Message 3 of 22

in reply to Aug 23, 2013 5:17:37 PM
Rockstar
Last Edited 05:18:25 PM

Did it arrive undamaged, but some small miracle?

Feedback should mention poor packaging for sure.

Not many shippers are covering damage to fragile items if not properly packaged.

This is my posting user ID. I have different user IDs for selling and for purchasing.
** Responders are eBay users like you (not employees).**
Message 4 of 22

in reply to Aug 23, 2013 5:31:53 PM
ola402
Trailblazer

Did the plate make it to you without breaking?  I'd be interested to know.  Even if I received it in one piece, I would still contact the seller to express my dismay and direct them to ebay's little picture lesson on how to pack.  Also, did you pay shipping at the envelope rate?

Pam
Message 5 of 22

in reply to Aug 23, 2013 8:57:14 PM

For some strange reason, yes, it made it.

But had I been given a heads up beforehand there is no way I would have bought it. And I think anybody that might consider buying from them should know this is their idea of good packing.

Message 6 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 12:13:21 AM
halfliquid
Scout

jason_incognito wrote:

...So, before I leave feedback, what's your take?...

Since you asked, for a $7.95 item plus $2.50 shipping that arrived undamaged from a seller that has 100% positive feedback and five stars across the board I would hope you could just leave "Thank you." and not touch their stars. Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion on this issue.

Message 7 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 1:03:13 AM

So, they should be rewarded for putting a plate in an envelope?

I check feedback. Even if it had been a positive, something like "fragile plate sent in a bubble envelope, but it was awesome and din't break! BEST SELLER EVER!"

I wouldn't have touched it had it been free.

Message 8 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 6:22:03 AM
halfliquid
Scout

jason_incognito wrote:

So, they should be rewarded for putting a plate in an envelope?

I check feedback. Even if it had been a positive, something like "fragile plate sent in a bubble envelope, but it was awesome and din't break! BEST SELLER EVER!"

I wouldn't have touched it had it been free.

Before leaving feedback you might want to contact the seller and discuss with them the problem you have with their choice of packing materials. Maybe they genuinely thought it was sufficient and they could always change how they pack items in the future if you discuss it with them.

Message 9 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 7:46:43 AM
eapg
Trailblazer

When I was buying glass at eBay, I sent detailed instructions to the seller as how to pack the item.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Message 10 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 7:58:45 AM
Rockstar

It's been my experience that most sellers do NOT want guidance from another user.

No good can come from a user trying to politely inform another user of an error on their part.

Feedback will get them to perhaps reconsider their ways.

However, until an item arrives broken/damaged, the seller may feel their way is working

just fine.

This is my posting user ID. I have different user IDs for selling and for purchasing.
** Responders are eBay users like you (not employees).**
Message 11 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 8:13:52 AM
eapg
Trailblazer

I figure it's my merch and I can specify how I want it sent, I'm paying the shipping.  I guess you're saying that's how you'd feel if I made the request to you.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Message 12 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 9:37:23 AM
gregsglass
Trailblazer

Hi DoRi,

I am an excellent packer and do not usually mind if someone like you asks for specific instructions BUT there are some nut jobs out there. I sold a Royal Lace green saucer to this woman who sent the following demands. Absolutely no Styrofoam, no newspapers and it must be wrapped in acid free white tissue, not taped, double boxed with a 12" as the smaller box. Shipping and postage should be no more than $4.00. The price of the plate was $7. She wanted all of this for $11. I told her I was canceling the auction since her instructions would set me back 20 bucks in packing. Acid free tissue indeed. I have always tensed up a bit when someone gives me instructions even though most of them are the way I pack anyway.

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 13 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 9:41:57 AM
eapg
Trailblazer

Hi, Greg ~ yeah, that's over the top.  i probably would've asked her to send me the shipping materials Woman Very Happy

Message 14 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 10:26:23 AM
angie19730_3
Thrill-Seeker

hERE IS MY IDEA- SELLER THINKS THEY UP TO $50 IN USPS PRIORITY INSURANCE SO PERHAPS THE PLATE OR WHAT EVER IS REALLY WORTHLESS ANYWAY, BY PUTTING IN ENVELOPE THEY KNOW IT WILL BREAK. FILE FOR INSURANCE AND MAYBE GET MORE $ BROKE THAN YOU RECIEVING IT, COMPLAINTS, BAD FEEDBACK. mAYBE IT COSTS A DIME- SELL FOR $15 BUT IT'S CHIPPED SO GETTING THE INSURANCE FOR $15 IS A GOOD DEAL TO THEM.HOWEVER TOO MANY OF THOSE CLAIMS WILL BRING SOME SUSPISION SOONER OR LATER.

pAM

Message 15 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 12:52:00 PM
gregsglass
Trailblazer

Hi Pam,

Would not work with any Post Office I ever dealt with. They would deny the claim since it was not packed right as well as being fragile. They always ask if it is fragile to be sure it is packed right.

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 16 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 1:45:34 PM

I sent a second message last night. Still no response to either.

I made it clear that I do not want a refund, I just want to know what they were thinging sending a plate in a bubble mailer?

But somehow if I don't give a 5 on communication, I'm the bad guy?

Message 17 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 2:26:05 PM
christybitty
Adventurer

Personally I refuse to under pack anything! Its not worth it and I know that sinking feeling when you get a package and know its broken before you open it.

Message 18 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 4:19:15 PM
c*me*4*lefton*info
Trailblazer

If the item had arrived damaged in transit then you would have a complaint. If it arrived OK then you have nothing to complain about. Doing so just makes you look like a foolish troublemaker.

You can change your mind but you can't change someone elses.

Message 19 of 22

in reply to Aug 24, 2013 5:58:14 PM
luckyfinds1985
Trailblazer

I know someone who told me that he sends mugs in a bubble mailer! I asked if they broke frequently. He claims that he has only had one break so far.

I asked what his feedback was after it broke. He told me fine becasue he immediately refunded. Then he asked the buyer to kindly give positive feedback which says excellent customer service! Buyer followed this request!

He claims that he sends mugs in bubble mailers to lower shipping cost.

I could never send breakable items in a bubble mailer!

Message 20 of 22