Leslie Diamond is the designer's name.
Not Russell Wright.
Message 41 of 63

Re: Russel Wright / Conant Ball Furniture

in reply to Jan 15, 2011 6:14:29 PM
dfri8515
Enthusiast
I have a Conant Ball drop leaf end table with pull out drawer. Under the drawer is a pull out with large wicker basket. It has the sticker inside the drawer that reads:

This is an authentic piece from Conant Ball's distinguished Roger Conant Group of contemporized Early American Reproductions in solid Rock Maple.
This rich hand-rubbed finish "No. 12 ANCESTOR" Maple is exclusive with Conant Ball.

It also has the Conant Ball "brand" on the inside of drawer.
I have had no luck trying to find the value of this piece, any help would be appreciated!
Message 42 of 63

in reply to Feb 23, 2011 2:57:32 AM
978onlinesale
Enthusiast
It sounds like I have the same peice of furniture! I had mine appraised on line, was told the value is $400. I think its worth more and I'm doing more research. They call it a Pembroke sewing/work table, made in the 1950's. Let me know if you find out anything else!
Message 43 of 63

in reply to Apr 26, 2011 2:28:21 AM
bpeter01777
Enthusiast
I have some of this furniture bought in an auction. It came with an original brochure with all the pieces available, date 1967. They take a lot of pride that the furniture is made from the maple sugar tree.
Bill
on P.E.I.
Message 44 of 63

in reply to Jun 22, 2011 8:57:47 PM
madawgsr
Explorer
Holman's was a well known retailer in Pacific Grove, CA. This may be your vendor. They went out of business in the 1980's and opened in the early 1900's.
Message 45 of 63

in reply to Jul 4, 2011 5:12:47 PM
aurorao1
Enthusiast
I have Conant Ball bedroom furniture, like new condition. My email is pwc462004@yahoo.com phone# 248-321-6615 The furniture has been in our family for 56 years. Thank You, Wayne I'm in a suburb of Detroit.
Message 46 of 63

in reply to Jul 26, 2011 9:38:40 AM
lucybear
Enthusiast
Are you still looking for a 3 drawer blonde Conant ball Russel Wright dresser? I have one.
Message 47 of 63

in reply to Aug 15, 2011 8:32:53 PM
restoman42
Rising Star
Trying to do research on some Conant Ball furniture and surprisingly find very little on the subject. Evidently, Wright designed the "American Modern" line in the late 1930's, but I'm wondering if all Conant Ball maple furniture through the early 1950's is Wright designed. Anybody?
I have a set of 2 dressers, 2 mirrors, a night stand, and a desk all in the same. Maple American Model Conant-Ball Co but not stamped with Russell Wright. It was purchased in 1936 0r 1937 by my parents. The only piece sold was a double bed headboard. Too bad! How can I determine the value of this group. Thanks, Phil's wife, Judith
Message 48 of 63

in reply to Sep 7, 2011 5:15:31 PM
rglater
Enthusiast

I haven't read evry post here so this may duplicate.

A wonderful article/interview and pictures with the Grand Daughter of Leslie Diamond her Grand FATHER.  I assumed it was a woman but Leslie Diamond was a man.

http://www.sllab.net/news/00001033.html

I have a bedroom set with three night stands and an 8 drawer with mirror dresser and used converter rails for a quenn giving the wood to a craftsman I know.

I paid 450.00 in 2005 out here I'm going to be lucky to get half that now.

Richard

Message 49 of 63

in reply to Sep 7, 2011 6:12:25 PM
scottlindberg
Enthusiast

Thanks Richard. Leslie Diamond was indeed a man.

I've actually interviewed TWO of Diamond's grandaughter's on my site. The one you linked is an interview with his granddaughter Caren. This second half of the interview is with her sister, Beth:

http://www.sllab.net/news/00001056.html

I also have a brief biography of Leslie Diamond posted here:

http://www.sllab.net/arslonga/designers/lesliediamond.html

Scott

Message 50 of 63

in reply to Sep 10, 2011 8:25:34 AM
tux2286
Enthusiast

I have several bedroom pieces of American Modern by Russel Wright in red maple. The night stand and the bed headboard need refinishing. Can anyone recommend someone in Manhattan who is experienced doing that with this line?

Message 51 of 63

in reply to Sep 16, 2011 12:25:21 PM
ervajoy
Enthusiast

Hi, I have been reading the post which is very interesting.  I have a bedroom set of cotswold oak by conant ball. It was purchased in the 50,s. Does anyone know if it is a Russel

Wright design?

Message 52 of 63

in reply to Sep 16, 2011 2:15:23 PM
scottlindberg
Enthusiast
If the mark doesn't include Russel Wright's name, most likely it's not his design.
Message 53 of 63

in reply to Oct 20, 2011 8:55:44 AM
restoman42
Rising Star

I have received my parent's bedroom furniture from the east coast and have found Russell Wright's name inside the desk drawer and now realize that it was worn off the stamped circle in the more used drawers. My set includes the high and low dressser, one night stand, one foot stool, a desk, and two mirrors. I am reading that restoring is not recommended. Does that include light sanding? The top of the nightstand is watermarked. One mirrow has a quarter size spot that needs re-silvering. Should any "fixing" be done? Is there any market for maple furniture bought in 1936 at Macy's? It is not for sale I am interested in it's value. Thanks, Judith restoman's wife-judelbug

Message 54 of 63

in reply to Oct 20, 2011 9:01:55 AM
scottlindberg
Enthusiast

The finishes on those pieces are semi-opaque, making refinishing very difficult if you're trying to match colors. Sanding will also alter the finish pretty significantly. If at all possible, I recommend leaving it as-is.

Message 55 of 63

in reply to Mar 9, 2012 2:40:51 PM
a60dogup
Enthusiast

Hi,

Wondered if you ever got an estimate on your drop leaf table and chairs.  Thx

Message 56 of 63

in reply to Apr 13, 2012 8:20:06 PM
vwherk
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have a Conant Ball table I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about and possible value. It's a checker/chess game table about 4'x4'. It's labeled Conant Ball with the numbers 4175 7050. I got the table with 4 barrel chairs, but I don't believe the chairs are from Conant Ball because they arn't labeled or stamped anywhere.

I posted a couple pictures on Flicker - http://www.flickr.com/photos/77195370@N03/sets/72157629811462091/with/6929377246/

If anyone can give me any info or idea of value I would greatly appreciate it.

Message 57 of 63

in reply to Dec 24, 2012 9:27:04 AM
sohappy_51
Explorer

here is a statement from russell wright studios llc. it includes info about conant ball pieces. it says the MODERMATES LINE IS INCORRECTLY IDENTIFIED AS BEING DESIGNED BY RUSSELL WRIGHT. that info is near the bottom. i would think this should put to rest the idea that modernmates is his design.

http://www.russelwrightstudios.com/Legal%20Fair%20Use.htm

Message 58 of 63

in reply to Jan 8, 2013 8:51:34 AM
dodieandfaye
Enthusiast

I have several pieces of the 1949 line, but they do not have Russel Wright's name on them anywhere. I got them at an auction for between $6 and $12 per piece, ranging from a desk to bureaus to chairs. They were covered in grime and old cigarette smoke, but after I cleaned them with a good wood cleaning and polishing product they look almost brand new. The desk even has the original glass top without a scratch on it.

I don't care what they are worth, they are the jewel in the crown of my mid century home!

Message 59 of 63

in reply to Mar 4, 2013 12:49:04 PM
golfnwahoo
Enthusiast

What wood cleaning product did you use to clean your Conant Ball furniture?

Message 60 of 63