Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Used Dansko Clog Sellers/Buyers Beware

Used Dansko Clog Sellers/Buyers Beware

klas_1957
Enthusiast
Last Edited 05:40:53 PM by Moderator

Hello to all seller's and buyers

For what this is worth, I have read a few posts here and think some balance needs to be included with the buyer bashing so the following is a buyer's perspective.... I have owned many new Dansko clogs in my life that have lasted for very many years. I recently had worn through a favored pair that were not available at local stores or Dansko outlet but a used pair was available here 

The clogs in question appeared to be in very good condition and i initially was quite happy to get such a great buy for approximately 50% less than the outlet. However, the rubber heel on the right clog had me visiting a shoe shop to have what I thought would be a minor repair about 3 months later. Turns out that the heel was not the only issue. The repair man flexed the sole to show me the split that also included about 1/8 inch of the wood. This  too was not a big deal and i was willing to get new soles in addition to new rubber heels UNTIL the man asked how old the shoes were and stated that the bottom was dried out and there would be no guarantee that the repair would prevent further spitting.  

Therefore - if you are selling or buying used Dansko clogs then you might want to take them to a shoe repair shop to have the soles evaluated (for free) before attaching a price tag to sell them - and if you a buyer then soon after a purchase so that you can return within Ebay's time frame. Unfortunately, as a first time Ebay clothing/shoe buyer, I did not think to do this because the clogs appeared to be in very great condition and i expected them to last much longer than a couple months but it seems that i may be stuck with the trash because of my ignorance lol

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES

Re: Used Dansko Clog Sellers/Buyers Beware

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 1:30:46 AM
chapeau-noir
Guide

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Sole deterioration with Dansko clogs is a very well known and understood problem in this forum.  A visit to a cobbler isn't even necessary - twisting and bending the clogs will bring any problems to light (so if you get any more pairs, do this ASAP and you can save the trouble) - you'll see cracking in the sole and that is not repairable.  It's pretty standard to test these shoes before even considering them for selling.

The theory is that it's poor storage conditions that creates this deterioration as frequently people (like myself) will own these clogs for years with no problems, but a pair obtained from another source will show this deterioration.

Latex (Arche shoes) will do this, too.

This happened to me once, too (basically I only wear Danskos) - I was stupid and didn't test the soles until summertime when I got them out to wear - ooops.  So you're not alone.

Message 2 of 21
Highlighted

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 1:34:16 AM

Chap is completely on target here.

“You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams
Message 3 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 2:25:08 AM
mariek7922
Scout

Thank you, Chap, for your words of wisdom. Very informative. I appreciate your sharing.

If you list it they will bid.
Message 4 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 3:40:18 AM
proudpandaproducts
Thrill-Seeker

I have had and heard from others of similar problems with Clarks shoes which have looked like new and have the tops separating from the bottoms again from possible bad storage not on my part but from a previous owner or retailer and now my listings come with this statement

*** All my shoes receive a flex and tug test to check for flaws***

This is done to check for cracking and drying out of the material that could lead to separation.

I have seen new without tags shoes with the same condition. Its not a matter of wear but condition of storage IMHO where the shoes have been subject to extreme heat and or cold and also moisture or humidity over a period of time.

Since performing the test i have found one pair of shoes with this defect! And it was a pair of Sperry loafers that looked new.

"Paradigm Shift" ...Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks...1 Thessalonians chapter 5
Message 5 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 6:05:29 AM
debraopt
Trailblazer

A good reminder for all shoe sellers. I've sold many Dansko's with no problem, but I've had that problem with other expensive brands, particularly Pliners.  Twist, bend, flex--on a used shoe, I even wear it myself for a couple days if it's my size.

A reminder also for Brighton sellers--their interiors frequently melt and break down, the shoe can look perfect, but be filled with sticky tar-like goop. I once made the mistake of trying one on, it took multiple showers to get the black gunk off my foot!

Message 6 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 6:31:53 AM
groovydesign
Adventurer

That is really good info for all shoes really.

I did not know this was an issue for Danksos,  i only sold one pair and they were in really ruff shape to begin with

Message 7 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 7:06:51 AM

I didn't really think it was possible until I wore a pair of heavy North Face boots I'd purchased new several years earlier and never wore. The heels disintegrated first time I wore them and owning many hiking boots, some 30 years old, without issue, I was shocked. There was no indication that would happen inspecting them (and no way to flex a hard boot).

I've also purchased a preowned pair of Asolo boots in excellent shape I wore a few times and the bottom on one shoe almost completely separated from the upper.

Sometimes shoes and boots look great and you don't know there's a problem until you wear them.

Message 8 of 21

in reply to Mar 31, 2013 8:10:31 AM
bsbk13
Guide

Absolutely NO BRAND is immune from this - so when I buy shoes for resale, they all get a good, solid twist and flex.  I've seen a lot of posts over the years (as Chap said) from sellers who were blaming the buyers for lying about the problem, yet once it happens to you on a pair of shoes that look good, you'll be a believer.  

Message 9 of 21

in reply to Nov 25, 2013 12:17:47 PM
lisamariek2u
Enthusiast

I discovered Dansko shoes about 10 years ago and bought 2 "sport" clogs and 3 pairs with the black platform found on the "professional" styles. I loved them. But I'm  horribly disappointed because in the last year I've lost all of them because the black polyurathane soles deteriorated by crumbling or breaking apart making the shoe unwearable. Uppers are fine. The company's website says it does not resole them and I am unable to find a shoe repair hospital that can repair them. The repair shops do not carry Dansko platforms. Not sure why not.  I'm now going to look for another brand that is repairable. So sad - such a disposable society.

Message 10 of 21

in reply to Nov 25, 2013 5:12:58 PM
debraopt
Trailblazer

As others have said, it's not just Dansko, it's any brand with a synthetic sole. I had to refund a customer a long time ago because of the same problem on a pair of Donald Pliner's. Also, Brightons are known for having the synthetic lining melt and basically turn to tar. I don't even pick them up any more, I don't want to touch them!

This is a great reminder to flex/twist any used shoes you are considering. They can look absolutely perfect, splits don't show until the shoe is flexed hard. I sometimes forget, get excited to find a great pair, but it's essential. Thanks for the reminder!

Message 11 of 21

in reply to Nov 25, 2013 9:50:32 PM

Don't suppose any of you have a UTube video of the twist & flex technique?

Message 12 of 21

in reply to Nov 26, 2013 3:50:26 AM
bsbk13
Guide

Val, just use sort of a wringing motion for the twisty part and then bend them back on themselves (they'll bend where they would on your foot, between the main part of your foot and the toes).  Good soles don't have a problem with that--you won't break them--but those with hidden cracking will show it.

b

Message 13 of 21

in reply to Nov 30, 2013 12:29:39 AM

I wonder if this problem is more prevalent in the newer Dansko's?  Dansko switched from the American factory they were using to one in China sometime 2007-2008. I have been disappointed in their quality since then. The Sanita brand is manufactured by the factory that used to produce Dansko's.

Thanks for the tip; I will make sure to do the test going forward.

Message 14 of 21

in reply to Nov 30, 2013 5:48:07 AM
doonemomma
Trailblazer

Blundstone Boots are also notorious for sole crumbling, the newer Vietnam made ones are especially bad. I really abuse those, using the flexing process, before considering buying them.

One other tip for Danskos...visually check out the bottoms close up, as well. Many times there are tiny "pinholes" that can be seen, it seems to indicate the crumbling processs is starting.

Message 15 of 21

in reply to Nov 30, 2013 5:39:58 PM
lcampbell2boys
Enthusiast

glad to know i am not the only one who has had my Dansko soles crack and crumble away. In all truthfulness though, the two pair it has happened to are about 10 years old, and have had tons of wear.  while i am sad they cannot be repaired, i have to be realistic, and say i truly have gotten my money's worth!  at 10 or 11 years old, i believe they were likely made by the original company.

Message 16 of 21

in reply to Apr 20, 2014 11:30:12 AM
moonfhaith
Enthusiast

While I understand this I don't accept it as a simple test of shoes - although that would have been helpful in my case to be more diligent. I checked out the soles when I purchased them. I twisted. I didn't see a problem.

I then wore them for 3 hours and the heel fell apart causeing me to fracture my foot in two spots. Needless to say I am most most most unhappy. It is a flaw in the shoe that is causing many many people to fall. Dangerously. NOT buyer beware. If a car had the same issue there would be a recall.

It started when they switched to China production - in rubber or shoe building I still haven't clarified - or so I've read. Still have to verify.

Message 17 of 21

in reply to Apr 20, 2014 3:38:11 PM
jsales0
Guide

As already stated. NO brand is immune. ALL synthetic and natural rubber soling can go depending on how the shoe was stored and its age. With respect, I totally disagree with the suggestion of torquing soling. No soling is constructed to withstand that motion-soling is meant to flex, not torque and yes, it is a good idea to flex  all shoes prior to purchase but for those that want to "wring out" their shoes just know that you eventually will destroy a shoe by splitting the soling that had nothing wrong with it and would have lasted indefinitely. 

Message 18 of 21

in reply to Apr 20, 2014 7:18:50 PM
pennywise-4
Trailblazer

lisamariek2u wrote:

I discovered Dansko shoes about 10 years ago and bought 2 "sport" clogs and 3 pairs with the black platform found on the "professional" styles. I loved them. But I'm  horribly disappointed because in the last year I've lost all of them because the black polyurathane soles deteriorated by crumbling or breaking apart making the shoe unwearable. Uppers are fine. The company's website says it does not resole them and I am unable to find a shoe repair hospital that can repair them. The repair shops do not carry Dansko platforms. Not sure why not.  I'm now going to look for another brand that is repairable. So sad - such a disposable society.

I love Danskos too and appreciate the warnings on them.

You might look into Finn Comfort. I have several and love them!  They are more expensive than Dansko initially but last forever and conform to the shape of your foot really well after a period of wear.  Super comfy and great support.  Also, the insoles can be replaced and they can be sent back to Finn Comfort  for new soles.Have some very cute fashionable styles.   I've bought a couple off ebay at way below retail.

"Penny" -- Atlanta area, ebay seller for 2.5 years, Mom to 4 amazing offspring, DD 24, DD 22, DS 19 and DD 16, loves line dancing, reading and live theatre (esp. musicals), one pet - Thor the pupnado - a one year old Staffie mix,
Message 19 of 21

in reply to Apr 21, 2014 4:56:47 AM
titus730
Trailblazer

Ah, a resurrected thread. Perfect for Easter..

*************************************************************************************

Philadelphia! No sand, no hot tubs.
Message 20 of 21