Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Apex_Media Amazon's Largest and Worst Bookseller

Apex_Media Amazon's Largest and Worst Bookseller

lylesinc
Enthusiast

I have had multiple orders with Apex_Media throughout the years, many of the times they seemed to have reasonable prices. Every time the package arrives the condition is always horrendous. Anyways I found someone else with the same distaste for mis-listed items. 

Anyways I don't know what name they use on ebay but buyer beware. When you order a very good book expect it to have severe damage. Check out the pictures I found of other buyers who have had similar problems with them. 

http://apexmediabookseller.blogspot.com/

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES

Re: Apex_Media Amazon's Largest and Worst Bookseller

in reply to Mar 27, 2013 8:15:40 PM
sigmapsidelta
Trailblazer

Why did you go back to them for more after the first purchase resulted in such disaster?

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 2 of 7

in reply to Mar 28, 2013 5:25:51 AM
obie_juan_cannoli
Trailblazer

I have no tolerance for misrepresentation either, and don't hesitate to get a full refund from Amazon when the books are misrepresented.

However: library labels, including inventory control labels, are permitted on a book in "Good" condition.

In fact, the only book I saw in the first post on the blog, which had at least half a dozen of them, which I felt was misrepresented was the Guiness with heavy highlighting.

Good ain't good, not even at Amazon.

I'm not saying I'd grade all those book as the seller did, I am saying that the grading is not incorrect. 

And of course, without any descriptions accompanying the pictures, the blog is simply a slander site. If you want sympathy from me, I want to see both sides of the story.

Was the small split at the hinge mentioned? If it was, you made the choice to buy it anyways. 

There are a lot of really PITA buyers on Amazon. Usually they buy the cheapest copy they possibly can and bitch about a slight among 50 that is not mentioned.

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Message 3 of 7

in reply to Mar 28, 2013 5:52:51 AM
chagrinbooks
Trailblazer

However: library labels, including inventory control labels, are permitted on a book in "Good" condition.

I don't agree. "Good ex-library" is an accepted condition, but without the library declaration it's evasive and not accepted by the traditional condition standards.

The blog campaign is ridiculous, mindless consumerism. No one forces anyone to buy from them, and to do it repeatedly is like fishing from the same trout hole, expecting to catch a mermaid, then complaining about trout. 

Message 4 of 7

in reply to Mar 28, 2013 6:04:39 AM
indianfield
Scout

No clue how to view this seller's listings, however if you buy a book from a stranger and the only condition note you see is "good" then you are partially to blame. Spend the extra dollar or two and buy a book from a seller who isn't too lazy to spend the few moments it takes to describe a books condition (at LEAST briefly!).
Personally, when pricing my books, I never take lazy listings into consideration.

Message 5 of 7

in reply to Mar 28, 2013 6:33:26 AM
obie_juan_cannoli
Trailblazer

Chagrin:

Amazon grading is not "traditional" by any stretch of the imagination. 

Flaw calls are required, but small flaws that would be accepted under IOBA/AABA standards under one grade are not accepted under the same grade by the same name at Amazon.

An ex-library book from a library that had the presence of mind to place all tags and stickers on the mylar cover could very well be graded fine/fine (presuming it meets the grade) under IOBA/AABA.

Simply not possible at Amazon, where an Owner's name or bookplate will degrade a book from fine to at best very good without consideration for anything else.

Meaning the first incunable Bible from the Vatican hoard, with Pope Michael XI's handwritten ex-libris could at best be "Good" regardless the pristine condition that being stored in archival conditions all it's life would put it in.

Listing on Amazon requires two grades most of the time: theirs, and the real world's.

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Message 6 of 7

in reply to Mar 28, 2013 5:12:20 PM

Apex is a big megadealer on AZ. Like several others, they undercut others on price and clog the site/listings with their penny and cheap books. They have many listings on the Amazon Fulfillment program (FBA) for $4.00 with free super saver shipping/AZ prime.  In actuality, instead of making 1 cent, with all the extra fees involved with being on FBA, they end up owing AZ, being in the negative amount for every one of these $4 FBA books that they sell.  Literally buying feedback, I suppose.

On the blog, the picture of the first book doesn't really show anything wrong with the book being listed in good condition.  Most of the stickers on the back come from a college bookstore and/or one of the used textbook retail stores.  They are difficult to remove, even with the right tools.  I suspect that Apex has chosen not to remove the extra stickers.  The last sticker is required by the Amazon Fulfillment program (FBA) so that their warehouse can properly identify, then place the seller's incoming inventory, and find it again when it sells. In fact, they really should have either removed or covered up the other barcodes to avoid problems with the AZ warehouse employees scanning the wrong codes.

We would've rated the 2nd book as acceptable because of the torn spine.

We would not have even attempted to sell the 3rd book because of the liquid stains (unless it was really valuable and scarce).

On the 4th book, it shouldn't have been put up for sale if it has mold.  If the water damage was less severe (and no mold), it could've been listed as acceptable.  Since it was a textbook, there's still some value, salability as students will still buy to save a few bucks.

Same goes for the highlighting, though if it's heavily highlighted - the whole page and nearly every page - we might not have listed it.

A lot of grading is subjective to individual interpretation, from both sellers and buyers.  As an example, we've had buyers that loved their ex-library books (what we rated in good condition) to the point of thinking them as almost new and other buyers who've hated their similar ex-library books to the point of thinking them as unsalable.

From what I've seen of descriptions and the feedback of several other sellers, a lot of online sellers, not just the megadealers tend to falsely grade their inventory by one or more grading levels.

Definitely buyer beware or aware.  Read feedback and don't keep buying from someone that has overgraded the condition.

Women are angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
Message 7 of 7