Archive Bidding & Buying
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount when they bid th exact starting amount

How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount when they bid th exact starting amount

bassguitarzan
Adventurer

The first and only bidder on an item up for auction withdrew their bid, stating that they entered the wrong amount when in fact they entered the exact starting bid?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES

Re: How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount when they bid th exact starting am

Re: How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount when they bid th exact starting am

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 5:31:14 AM

Because if there are no other bidders all you will see is the starting amount.  Say the opening bid was .99 cents on an item I am willing to pay 40.00 and I accidently type in 400.00  I can retract and re-enter the 40.00 but if there are no other bidders the high bid will still show .99

Message 2 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 5:58:49 AM
fuzzface50
Rockstar

Longbeard if you go and click on the 0 bid history and page down, you will see how high someone actually bid when they retract a bid.  The op opening bid was $32.00 and that is exactly what the retracter bid because he retracted a $32.00 bid 4 days after making it. If he would have bid more, his retraction $ amount would be higher, so if he had a $100.00 proxy bid in, his retraction would show $100.00

Being 4 days later and showing he retracted 3 times in the last 6 months, i would add them to my bbl.

Message 3 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 6:02:46 AM
fuzzface50
Rockstar

Taking you example above if you accidently bid $400.00 and retracted it and rebid $40.00 right away, it would show on the bid  history retaction that you retracted a $400.00 bid. That would be perfectly fine with me with you bidding the $40.00 right away. No bbl for you seeing you followed the rules correctly.

Message 4 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 6:07:26 AM
fuzzface50
Rockstar

Ok, lets fix what i said above, trying to make it clear. yes, your first bidder and on the auction page you would be shown at .99 but on the bid history page, it will show a $400.00 bid retraction but i wouldn't know that you rebid $40.00 because high bid showing is just .99 since you were the only bidder. Only ebay and you know what your corrected bid is but that is acceptable because you rebid right away.

Message 5 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 6:14:05 AM

Maybe in this case the buyer did not realize they could raise their bid without retracting the first.  I had a buyer ask me to cancel a bid once so he could raise his bid so there is that chance.

Message 6 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 6:15:02 AM
fuzzface50
Rockstar

Ebay only gives you 3 choices to pick from and actually that is the least damaging one to pick from. Yes, it isn't right but at least they retracted before the auction was over and causing bigger problem.

If this was their first retraction, i would leave it slide but seeing it is at least their 3rd, i would add them to my bbl. Being a seller you should be able to see a 12 month retraction  record where i can only see 6 months on this end. i might have left them slide(depending on my mood at the present time) at 3 if they reracted the same day but 4 days later, no they can screw an auction up retracting that many days later.

Message 7 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 6:16:35 AM
fuzzface50
Rockstar

Problem is the bidder never rebid and he retracted his bid yesterday already.

Message 8 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 7:29:36 AM
Rockstar

Simple answer:

By lying. 

Message 9 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 8:05:28 AM
Rockstar

You can report for invalid bid retraction which should but a strike on buyers account

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 10 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 11:23:30 AM

BASS...

oK, This bidder did not really type in the wrong amount on his bid.  he just decided he did not want this item after all.  In order to get the Retraction he wanted--he had to check off one of the three reasons listed.  So, he just picked one--valid or not.

Even though his reason was invalid--Ebay DID accept it--and let him off the hook. That's what Ebay always does.

Ebay's Retraction Policy sends out mixed messages.  They allow Sellers to report Invalid retractions--and thereby put a Striike on that buyer's acccount.  But--at the very same time---they do allow the buyer to cancel his bid.Smiley FrustratedSmiley Surprised

Message 11 of 17

Re: How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount...

Re: How can a bidder withdraw a bid for entering the wrong amount...

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 1:24:47 PM
7606dennis
Rockstar

Actually, I believe eBay's system could determine if a retraction was invalid and disallow it without requiring a seller to report it.  The system could verify if the seller added anything to the listing since the time the bid was placed or if the retractor rebid immediately after bidding the wrong amount.  Verifying that the seller's contact info is correct may be a little more complicated, but could be done with the proper software coding.

What am I saying?!  Ebay would rather spend time on useless program changes than actual improvements.  Of course, it would probably take competent programmers to write an effective code anyway so I don't expect anything along the lines of improvement in this area in the foreseeable future.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 1:30:18 PM
bassguitarzan
Adventurer

Yeah, his reason is totally invalid. Since he entered the exact starting bid, it should be a 'binding contract', like it says when you click 'submit bid'. And I guess it won't do me any good to report it either. And now the bidder emails me a lower offer, which of course I won't accept. I haven't even replied as of yet. I'm not sure how to handle this. Maybe just block him I guess.

Message 13 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 1:33:28 PM
Rockstar

1.  Put him on your Blocked Bidder List.

2.  Report the invalid retraction.

3.  Report the offer to buy off-eBay (should be a link in the message in your My eBay: messages).

Message 14 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 1:34:18 PM
Rockstar

4.  Don't reply to him.

Message 15 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 2:32:37 PM
bassguitarzan
Adventurer

Thanks, I see where to report the retraction and email offer, but I don't see the Blocked Bidder's List?

Message 16 of 17

in reply to Aug 6, 2013 2:59:44 PM
Rockstar

Go to the Site Map (link at the bottom of most eBay pages) and in the center column are several useful seller links (or links to links in some cases), including the Blocked Bidder List.

Message 17 of 17