cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible IRISH Chair?? Any Experts??

Would love any further information anyone could give on this chair....

Several years ago (2001?), this chair was taken to Casa Loma in Toronto when the British Antiques Roadshow was in Canada....

We didn’t get it evaluated by a British expert but by a Canadian expert. He told us because the back of the chair was “veneered” it was most likely a European chair; if it had been Canadian, he said the back would have been a solid piece of wood. He dated the chair to the late 1800’s. The chair came out of my Great Grandparents’ home – they were Irish immigrants. My Great Grandfather emigrated in 1887 by himself and in 1894 returned to Ireland and brought his mother over. We think they might have brought things with them at this time and maybe this chair was one of the items?

There are no identifying marks anywhere on the chair as to the maker and I am wondering if it might indeed actually be an Irish chair; made somewhere in Ireland. The family was from County Tyrone in the north. Could the design of the back be a typical or known Irish motif? Could the design identify it as Irish? Or does that design point somewhere else in Europe? Other than a few losses to the veneer (same as it was in 2001) the chair is probably original – it has never been tampered with as far as I know – I do not think it has ever been stripped or refinished at any time.

The appraisal or evaluation of this single chair at the time was really quite high and a complete surprise to us (wish we had it in writing!!).
Don’t know whether after all this time it is still worth what he said it was OR if you could actually realize that amount if you were to sell it, but I have always thought it would be nice to know the origins of it – whether or not it was an Irish chair and, if so, it might confirm our thoughts that our Irish family brought it with them when they came to Canada.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

.... here are a few more photos....

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

sorry, I cannot help but I find it difficult to believe canadian makers never used plywood sometimes.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This is a bentwood armchair. Use that term in your searching. Dates to c1880-1900.  Has a bit of an influence of pre-Vienna Secessionist (the incised design on the back). Check out the Kohn Bros, Austria. I don't know if the Irish made bentwood furniture but the inventor of the process Thonet, was widely copied. Many people don't know that plywood has been around since around the Civil War. You can tell the early stuff by the thick core with thinner outer layers. Look up Canadian bentwood chair co's and see if any existed.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

This chair was made in Owen Sound, Ontario, in 1890s. 100% definite.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Just saw your posting about the chair I was asking about.... Why are you 100% certain it was made in Owen Sound in the 1890's? Manufacturer? Catalogue? 🙂 Any more information?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I don't know much about furniture but believe it is unlikely a Irish immigrant  in the 1890s dragged furniture along with themselves.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply